This is my confession...(VERY LONG)...

lovelymissyoli

I can no longer keep quiet…ladies I had to do it…I could no longer transition and in all attempts to prevent myself from relaxing, I gave in and relaxed on August 24, 2004!
smile.gif
So here’s the story:

I was posting on and off because I was vacationing in Baltimore but I am back in California now. It was in Baltimore that I came to the conclusion that transitioning was not going to work for me. Why you ask??? My reasons:

1.) I’m wasting money!!!!

On the Salon discussion board someone had mentioned they had found a Dominican Salon in Baltimore. I knew I was coming out to Baltimore and I broke my “No Heat” pact with myself because I knew I would never be able to get a Dominican blowout in California so I jumped in a cab and went to the salon (Manuella’s). The stylist did a great job (it was so silky and smooth) but in no time did my hair poof up. On another note, when I got my Dominican blowout the stylist used Salerem (sp?) 21 on my hair. BIG MISTAKE!!! I believe that was another reason why my hair poofed up. You don’t know how upset I was
mad.gif
! Not only did I waste my money but when I saw my uncle for the first time I don’t think he even realized that I got my hair done because he asked me: “What did you have done to your hair at that salon?”
confused.gif
But this isn’t the first time this has happened since I took my braids down. In the avatar picture of my hair that style only lasted for a day (actually a couple of hours) because it too poofed up as well. I don’t put a lot of heat in my hair, I’ve even went weeks on end without putting it in since I took it down, but when I do decide to put heat in my hair again I want the style to last! I really can’t stand forking $20-$70 for a salon visit and not having it last.

2.) I love the thickness but sometimes I doesn’t help the situation…

Since my hair was really thick I wasn’t able to use my products (i.e. Surge & other water based products) like I wanted to. Because 4-6 inches of my hair is natural, spraying Surge regularly causes it to poof up. I want to be able to use Surge as well as many of my other water-based products on my hair without it turning into one big mess.

3.) Style, style, style…

I’ve scarified a lot of styles trying to transition without braids. When I tried to achieve certain looks my attempts failed because my hair reverted back to it’s natural texture. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate my natural hair, but there are only so many failed attempts at style I can take.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Now I didn’t just rush into relaxing, I weighed my options. There were some worries I had about relaxing. Since I had begun to transition through braids my hair was growing like a weed and I was retaining a lot of length. Before my decision to relax I was afraid that my hair wouldn’t grow the same. It was when I stopped relaxing that my hair grew, but then I began to realize that I mistreated my hair when it was relaxed and I only washed it once a month (if that), constantly used heat, and globed petroleum based products in my hair so that could have been another why it never grew
ohwell.gif
. Anyways, I was also afraid of having bone straight hair, but then I realized it would just be the new growth so that calmed me down a little. Then there were the worries of over processing, under processing, or having to continually relax my hair to keep up with my new growth (even if I stretch out relaxers), but from the instructions I received here about self-relaxing, I pushed those thoughts aside.

So in conclusion, I think my reasons for relaxing outweighed my worries. I self-relaxed on August 24, 2004 and I have no regrets!!!
drunk.gif
Since I have to mimic natural styles anyway (i.e the puff, because I’m still holding on to relaxed ends) I didn’t feel like I was making a permanent decision. The outcome of the relaxer was great but I don’t plan to relax again until next year in January when it comes time for my birthday and my next hair goal!!! I’ve posted pictures of the outcome of my hair and although I don’t know if my hair has grown any, this is definitely a starting point for progress.

I think you did well with at least trying to transition. I also tried it for 7 months and realized that I like to wear my hair straight more often than not, and I would be spending a lot time and using a lot of heat to try and get it straight. I'm glad I tried it because I learned alot about my natural hair.

I think you did a great job with your relaxer and your hair looks great.
smile.gif

Thanks for sharing and keep us posted.

Thanks for the support ladies!

@Kitchen_T: I didn't realize that I had transitioned so long (10 months; even without braids), but I couldn't take some of the stress any longer. Also, I feel you on the heat. I had to have my hair blow-dried, pressed, and then flat-ironed at the roots to get it straight and it didn't last long for my hair.

I understand completely. I self relaxed (texturized) after 3years. The styling without braids didn't work for me either. At least we know we can get great help on this board.

Congrats!!! I know, I know it is a hard decision to make going natural or whether to relax again. But in any case you always have the support from our ladies here
smile.gif

Yes, I agree that at least you tried transitioning. It just so happened that you were able to confirm that it wasn't for you....and that's ok!

smile.gif
Congrats!

[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
You have to do what you feel most comfortable with! Just as long as you are happy with your decision I am too!! Congrats!

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! What kind of highlights do you have? I like them
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
OshunCurls said:Exactly! What kind of highlights do you have? I like them
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. My highlights are from the Clairol's line. It's the color that's in the brown bottle with the silver label. You can find it at almost any bss. HTH

I completely understand you and I think you did the right thing. In the end you just have to decide for yourself what is best.

Back