This Hair Thing: Seriously, Stick Me With a Fork-I'm Done!

LovinLocks

Their mantra says :locks: Sisterlocks = freedom. Well, I have become enslaved due to ignorance. When I was working my ayurvedic hair care program I would co-wash and GO!!! NOW - I have not the knowledge to maintain these babies correctly and I don't have $600+ to take the retightening class (that would be the class and the plane fare to get to it). Oh wait, I didn't include hotel and food costs, YIKES!!!!! Yeah, I counted the cost of getting and having SL; however, at this time I am underemployed. :cry2:'Nuff said, do the math.

I spelled out details in my blog:
http://llovinlocks.blogspot.com/2009/11/stick-me-with-fork-im-doneagain.html

I'm not sad right now, not even :burn: that I spend $500.00 on these babies. I am just anxious to get them out and it is obviously going to be a loooong process. The why is explained in my Blog.

:thatsall:

Back to:
Co-washing
Deep conditioning
Vatika Frosting
Coconut Oil
Hairveda-when I get a job HERE I COME!

Last edited:
Aww, sorry to hear that. I have a friend that just went natural that is considering them.

But don't y'all remember a thread about a woman who had a system like sisterlocs that was waaaay cheaper? In fact sisterlocs had a lawsuit against them?

Aww, sorry to hear that. I have a friend that just went natural that is considering them.

But don't y'all remember a thread about a woman who had a system like sisterlocs that was waaaay cheaper? In fact sisterlocs had a lawsuit against them?

Nappy Locs, I have the tool. :grin:

Sisterlocs are very pretty but waaaaayyyy overpriced in my opinion. You can create a similar look with creating locks with small parts and using a latchhook or nappylocs tool to retighten.

^^ Lawsuit?? :shocked: I didn't hear abt this...

Are you going to get a new set of locs after you take them out or are you going to be a loose head for a bit? Good thing they're not mature yet. Good luck on the process.

my sister had medium density dreadlocks, and it took her a couple of weeks to comb them down. what worked for her was keeping them constantly saturated with conditioner, and slowly unraveling them one by one.

now i know with sisterlocks, it's a whole different story! so i wish you the best of luck. as long as you have patience, you'll get through this. :yep:

Sisterlocs are very pretty but waaaaayyyy overpriced in my opinion. You can create a similar look with creating locks with small parts and using a latchhook or nappylocs tool to retighten.

Yup. Should I go this route again I would probably do Braid Locks (a la Cherie King) and maintain with my Nappy Locs tool AND best believe they will be larger probably 1/2 the circumference of a pencil.

Are you going to get a new set of locs after you take them out or are you going to be a loose head for a bit? Good thing they're not mature yet. Good luck on the process.
Hey there! "Loose". I've got the end of the semester winding down, my DF (dear fiance) is on his way up to marry me, help me get packed, and take me "home" to Florida. AND, I have not upwards of $600 for another set of THESE; no patience to get into the Braid Locks now.

Plus, DF has seen pix of my hair over the last year and has expressed the desire to touch my hair and it not feel "hard". So, I'll rock ayurvedic hair principles I have learned here THANK YOU ALL LADIES OF LHCF for what you've taught me. Like I said above, when I get settled and a JOB in FL, "Hellloooo, Hairveda". Product junkie that I am I have learned a thing or two over the last year about my hair and products. Not having a job will definitely help with my product sickness :spinning:; but even if that were not an obstacle I now know I don't need every thing that is suggested to go try. I am of the opinion that if I follow ayurveda strong I won't need anything else. I have a head chock full of long, strong, BEAUTIFUL wavy locks that I can touch. I can't wait!

Last edited:
my sister had medium density dreadlocks, and it took her a couple of weeks to comb them down. what worked for her was keeping them constantly saturated with conditioner, and slowly unraveling them one by one.:yep:
Hi Pookie, that is my plan EXACTLY. As a matter of fact I am getting ready to walk up to Rite-Aid and purchase a buncha VO5 (for my co-wash stash) and will start the saturation thing. Plus, I have a buncha butters (hemp, avocado, etc. that I use for soap and lotion-making). I may drench my locks in that and pick at 'em like you said 1 at a time.

I really need to be working on my research paper, but dang, I have a job interview tomorrow (Cheerleader Advisor, local high school) and my Babycakes flight in is Thursday. :blush: So, I think I will be in my head a heapabunch 'cause I gotta look GOOOOOD when I go get him from the airport. You feel me?

Another option is to turn your sister locks into regular locks by combing them through two-strandtwisting them. Then you could maintain them how ever you choose.

Another option is to turn your sister locks into regular locks by combing them through two-strandtwisting them. Then you could maintain them how ever you choose.

Hello,

I began the take-down last night. I am well on my way. Been at it off and on all morning. On my way up to Rite-Aid in a few to purchase a heap-a-bunch of VO5 for co-washing and to aid in this mega take down.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

A

P.S. Can ya tell I secretly am glad to get back to my semi-ayurvedic hair program. It was kind of fun "watching" my hair grow. I must say I had gotten to about 3" above my waist!!!! We'll see where we stand Summer, 2010. I hope to have regained what I cut at the very least.

There is suppose to be another website just like sister locks but cheaper. Sister locks was suing them. Maybe you can find it and see if you can use their process for less. $600 is a lot of money

WOW!! Thanks for posting YOUR experience with the Sisterlocs. So..are you saying you don't want them bc of the cost to maintain them?? Or, are you not happy with the work your consultant did?? I'm considering locs and thinking about starting w/ Sisterlocs or two strand twists.

Ok..I'm off to view your blog again. The last time I was on it you were happy with them..i think

Good luck on the takedown!!

ETA: Also, it's refreshing to hear downsides to Sisterlocs. Because every blog I've come across is always praising these type of locs. As with anything in life...there are pros and cons.

Last edited:
I have been following your story with great interest. Please let us know how the takedown goes :)

Heeey there Ms. Mahogany! I surely will. Keep an eye on my blog. I worked at it yesterday from 0600 until about 1300 :spinning:. I'm probably 1/3 through. I predict about a two week job on this, LOL. Thank gawd for this 3b/c texture. That I have some down and pre-locks in others - my head doesn't look totally crazy.

Last edited:
WOW!! So..are you saying you don't want them bc of the cost to maintain them?? Or, are you not happy with the work your consultant did??

ETA: Also, it's refreshing to hear downsides to Sisterlocs. Because every blog I've come across is always praising these type of locs. As with anything in life...there are pros and cons.

Good morning Genesis:

You posed some points that I definitely want to address for all to overstand. The reason I chose Sisterlocks (second set, by the way. First set I got in early '00 so I was familiar with the SL deal).

http://llovinlocks.blogspot.com/2009/08/alpha.html

As far as Sisterlocks Consultants go - yaw'll gotta check THIS out . . . :nono:

http://llovinlocks.blogspot.com/2009/09/stick-me-with-fork-i-think-im-pretty.html

" . . . it's refreshing to hear downsides to Sisterlocs."

I have got to state I really do not find fault or "downside" with SL in general. It's just that there are several ways to do a thing, you know. I "settled" on SLs because of the texture of MY hair. Again, it's all spelled out in my blog, won't re-write here.

Now, back to the thing about SL Consultants . . .

http://llovinlocks.blogspot.com/2009/09/retightening-too-legit-ta-quit.html

Good morning Genesis:

You posed some points that I definitely want to address for all to overstand. The reason I chose Sisterlocks (second set, by the way. First set I got in early '00 so I was familiar with the SL deal).

http://llovinlocks.blogspot.com/2009/08/alpha.html

As far as Sisterlocks Consultants go - yaw'll gotta check THIS out . . . :nono:

http://llovinlocks.blogspot.com/2009/09/stick-me-with-fork-i-think-im-pretty.html

" . . . it's refreshing to hear downsides to Sisterlocs."

I have got to state I really do not find fault or "downside" with SL in general. It's just that there are several ways to do a thing, you know. I "settled" on SLs because of the texture of MY hair. Again, it's all spelled out in my blog, won't re-write here.

Now, back to the thing about SL Consultants . . .

http://llovinlocks.blogspot.com/2009/09/retightening-too-legit-ta-quit.html

Thanks for those links! I checked out the last consultant work, Malikatt, on her fotki..She's really good!! I like her work. If I choose to get SLs, I'm going to be very specific and let my consultant know that I expect the best work (precise grids, etc..) and if her portfolio doesn't display what I'm looking for I will move on. From what I've seen so far, her work looks good (pics online) I have an apt this Wednesday for some test locs..so we shall see.

Anyhoo, thanks again for documenting your experience because it helps those considering SLs to know what to expect...and from what I gather 'PAIN' isn't one of them! Good luck again. :yep:

I see you have started the take down; wish you the best! That is why I never got sisterlocs. I knew eventually I would want to see and style my own loose hair. They are quite fetching though!

However, I cant help but think... it couldn't be too hard to learn to do sisterlocks on your own, no?? For the fellow do-it-yourselfers (diy's), I can look at someone do a hairstyle once and be able to do it. There are plenty of loc tutorial videos on youtube. Not to mention the number of people (Jamaican friend personally and others) who have started their own locs and continue to maintain their own locs. It can't be that difficult- tool or no tool- and hence, inexpensive.

Last edited:
Take-Down Progress

For inquiring minds . . . :grin:

http://public.fotki.com/lovinlocks/2009/her-lock-story/lock-lock-lock-it-up/page3.html

img_0374-vi.jpg

There are two more photos at the bottom of the Fotki page link above.

On I trudge . . .

However, I cant help but think... it couldn't be too hard to learn to do sisterlocks on your own, no??

You mentioned when you "see" a technique done . . . I agree; me too. However, girlfriend was in the back of my head thus I "saw" nothing. No doubt, the patented/trademarked [or whatever] technique is not difficult to learn when one has been taught. (which I was not)

It can't be that difficult- tool or no tool- and hence, inexpensive.

Nope, you are correct! :yawn:

Back