Thinking about getting Sisterlocks....

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I need some imput, some pros and cons on the subject. I do not plan to cut my hair, but to transition...

I think you guys are the bests ones to ask, so...

Give me pros....

Give me cons....
:grin:

I don't know. but I do think they're cute!
Do you plan to keep them forever? .... because they are a lot more permanent than regular locs. How did you always "dream" of wearing your hair as a natural?

Bumping!

I do plan to keep them forever...I like wearing my hair down, and I would probably wear it in braid outs or straightened. So I see the locks as giving me that flexability, in that I can wear my hair "straight" without having to use heat, and I can wear it in braid-outs, or curl it with rods...It just seems like a logical alternative. I wear my hair in braids or micros 80% of the time anyway.

ETA, I think I am just really beginning to get frustrated with my relaxed hair. It seems thin, and I just really don't want to deal with it anymore. I just don't want to BC, or deal with two different textures

Last edited:
Hey, girlie! Haven't seen you on the boards in a minute, but from your siggie I can guess why! :grin: Good to see you posting.

I think the sisterlocks are a nice option. I didn't even know what they were until kinda recently, lol. I'd be scared that I wouldn't like them and then I'd be forced to BC.

If you do get them, come back and show us some pics! :yep:

Hey, girlie! Haven't seen you on the boards in a minute, but from your siggie I can guess why! :grin: Good to see you posting.

I think the sisterlocks are a nice option. I didn't even know what they were until kinda recently, lol. I'd be scared that I wouldn't like them and then I'd be forced to BC.

If you do get them, come back and show us some pics! :yep:

Hey! yeah, I thought about that...so I will do research and look at pics and I have contacted the ONE sisterlocks consultant there is in Oklahoma...I know that if I take that leap then that will be it.

sisterlocs are beautiful! but they are much harder to take down if you decide you don't want them. my sister had regular dreads, & combed them down when she got tired. the process took 2 weeks, & now she's natural. i can't imagine how long it would take to comb down sisterlocs, so if you changed your mind, you'd have to cut them off...

but they are very versatile! you can rollerset them, even comb them (with a wide toothed comb).

I have thought about these on and off. They are so beautiful and I'm sure you would enjoy them. I say go for it!

I'ma have to hit her up, then...if I decide against locks then I will just transition from this point and try to use braids and braid-outs as a transition style...I don't hink I want to stay relaxed..i just do not want to cut my hair.

My mom has sisterlocs and loves them. I don't like them to much. I like the look of larger locs. I have bradelocz. But, I have seen some really pretty sisterlocks and I have had my hands in some of them to tighten them up. Like I said my mom has them and she loves them alot. If you get them and then deside you don't want them you can change them into traditional locs. I see people do that all of the time.

I think that if I decide to lock, I will do braidlocks, since I can braid my own hair and then interlock the new growth every four to six weeks. Stiil researching, though...

I am late to this thread but I have sisterlocks. I've been sisterlocked for 2 1/2 years. Its a common myth that you have to keep them for life - many women have taken theirs down after years but it is very hard work. PM me if you ever have any questions

I typed a frickin long post and lost it somehow when I hit a wrong key. Anyway, I had dreds. People like to act like you can take them out without suffering any damage but that is far from the truth. My ends were see through when I took them out and I ended up loosing a lot of hair.

I took them out because Dreads lack diversity. With natural hair I can go from Rhianna, to Tracee Ellis Ross, to Cleopetra, to Oprah, to Foxy Brown all in one week. With dreds, you can braid them and curl them but there is never that total transformation you can get from loose hair.

Hello! I was studying to be a sisterlocks technician in my last few years of high school.
It is a good option for those with loosely curled hair who want to start locks because the technique and locking patterns keep each new lock tight until it starts to lock. Since the locks can be soooo skinny at times, esp in the temple area, sometimes there tends to be some lock loss because of rough handling so you have to be gentle. Aside from the last thing mentioned, I think that sisterlocks are beautiful. I never got them because I like doing too many things to my hair!

Back%20Sweep%20Cascade2.JPG

Back%20Sweep%20Cascade.JPG

Here's a pic. of my sis with them in an updo. She is a tech. also. I really like when she where's them down. Her hair has grown sooo much since this photo. As far as upkeep, she has a special poo & cond. she used when she first got them done to keep them from slipping. She treats just like she would loose hair, wearing them in a varity of styles. For even more texture she sometimes puts them in 4 big braids after pooing and lets them airdry, creating the crinkly look.

FreeDyedTips1.JPG

She also put them on rollers for more of this type of look.

Lovely_Red_Earrings2.JPG

The only con I ever heard her speak of is the price of intinally getting them done and getting them re tightened. Hence her becoming a tech. so she could do her own.:grin:

I love the look, but I've decided to just transition to natural. I got my hair braided yesterday, and will use braids and BKT (when I want to straighten and to strengthen the line of demarcation) to transition. Thank you ladies for all your wonderful input!

Back