Thin/Fine Support Thread

YAY!!!! Thanks for making this a sticky!!! We soooooooooo need it!.

I saw something about a thin haired challenge. If it includes thickening up the edges and nape and growing out hair into a nice uniform style, I'm in!! I don't want the thick ladys' hair because I know I can't have it...I JUST WANT THE BEST OF MY OWN HAIR. EVEN, HEALTHY, AND LONG!! Let's commit to offering the best product and tip information for thin hair and commit to loving our thin hair to reach its highest potential!!

I saw something about a thin haired challenge. If it includes thickening up the edges and nape and growing out hair into a nice uniform style, I'm in!! I don't want the thick ladys' hair because I know I can't have it...I JUST WANT THE BEST OF MY OWN HAIR. EVEN, HEALTHY, AND LONG!! Let's commit to offering the best product and tip information for thin hair and commit to loving our thin hair to reach its highest potential!!

ITA!! I've accepted that I've been blessed with a thin head, and I shall embrace it and bring out the best in it! :yep:

Thin/fine ladies... do you find that we have to spend more time "arranging" our hair to make it appear thicker & more together before taking fotki pics? :giggle:

...or maybe thats just me :ohwell:

How many natural heads are in this thread? We need to talk. bonjour

My hair gives the illusion of being being very thick in the photos but to me because the strands are fine textured, I feel kind of "[picktyheaded]" like it is thin or something. However, I have got it as thick as I think I can. I henna and indigo, deep condition, use homemade BT and HM Afro detangler. I have no shedding or breakage, but it is not gaining any length that I can see. The thicker it gets the shorter it seems. Could be hair anoerexia or the truth. So I am going to go and pull the covers over my head and forget about my hair for awhile. bonjour

Last edited:
How many natural heads are in this thread? We need to talk. bonjour

My hair gives the illusion of being being very thick in the photos but to me because the strands are fine textured, I feel kind of "[picktyheaded]" like it is thin or something. However, I have got it as thick as I think I can. I henna and indigo, deep condition, use homemade BT and HM Afro detangler. I have no shedding or breakage, but it is not gaining any length that I can see. The thicker it gets the shorter it seems. Could be hair anoerexia or the truth. So I am going to go and pull the covers over my head and forget about my hair for awhile. bonjour

Natural in the house!! The bolded part of your quote is so me. Since I'm a natural my hair gets really puffy and appear "thick", but when it's flat iron the truth is "revealed"!!!! My hair has gotten thicker since doing "henna glosses".

Thin/fine ladies... do you find that we have to spend more time "arranging" our hair to make it appear thicker & more together before taking fotki pics? :giggle:

NO it's not just you! I FEEL YOU hOnii!
It is one of the many reasons that I wear my hair back and in a protective style practically every day (thank God for my UPA! I bought several months ago). I don't have time in the morning or most days to spend about an hour just "arranging" the hair to cover the scalp or parts that have been made if I rollerset. It is so sad sometime. From the image in my avatar, people think my hair is nice and full, but what they don't know is that it took me a half hour to get it to look that way before I took the pic! :ohwell:
:lachen:

Do you all fine that you hair responds better when you do the works at everywash and wash less frequently. What I mean is that I have noticed that my hair does better if I wash, light protein treatment, moisture treatment, rollerset.... at every wash and just wash once a week instead of two?

Natural in the house!! The bolded part of your quote is so me. Since I'm a natural my hair gets really puffy and appear "thick", but when it's flat iron the truth is "revealed"!!!! My hair has gotten thicker since doing "henna glosses".

Hey ladytq, when you say that do you mean that you notice it appears thicker or that it actually is thicker? I haven't tried henna yet and am curious about it.

Yes! And IMO calling my hair thin is demeaning. I always hated that term b/c that what others would call it. I rather the term Fine :grin:. What I love most about my fine hair is that it is soft and when healthy is it beautiful.

Last edited:

Naw, you ain't alone. :kiss: I find myself doing that, too! :sekret:

It's not thick but it's getting thicker than it was before. I think castor oil is the culprit. :clapping:

Naw, you ain't alone. :kiss: I find myself doing that, too! :sekret:

It's not thick but it's getting thicker than it was before. I think castor oil is the culprit. :clapping:

Castor Oil ... A lot of people say it has thickened their tresses, but does it really work? What kind do you use Serenity? Do you buy yours from a drug store? How does it make your hair smell (I don't like stinky stuff :sad:)

Yes! And IMO calling my hair thin is demeaning. I always hated that term b/c that what others would call it. I rather the term Fine :grin:. What I love most about my fine hair is that it is soft and when healthy is it beautiful.
Thin and fine aren't the same though. Thin hair is having relatively fewer hair follicles. Fine hair is when the individual strands are just that - fine. You can have thick, fine hair or thin, coarse hair! (Hope that was clear :ohwell:)

I have fine hair that is medium density (neither thick nor thin). I'm hovering at lower BSL/MBL and wondering if it's just too fragile to go past that. I was really looking forward to reaching WL.

Hey ladytq, when you say that do you mean that you notice it appears thicker or that it actually is thicker? I haven't tried henna yet and am curious about it.

Hey Foxxymami

Yeah, it appears thicker when my hair is just blow dried vs when it's flat iron.

My hair is very fine, but I have a lot of those fine hairs. With henna, it coats my fine hairs and increases the diameter of the hairs.

I love henna, when I'm moisturizing properly:rolleyes:.

Thin and fine aren't the same though. Thin hair is having relatively fewer hair follicles. Fine hair is when the individual strands are just that - fine. You can have thick, fine hair or thin, coarse hair! (Hope that was clear :ohwell:)

I have fine hair that is medium density (neither thick nor thin). I'm hovering at lower BSL/MBL and wondering if it's just too fragile to go past that. I was really looking forward to reaching WL.

Yeah, its important to point that difference out. Some ladies here have a ton of hair on their heads but they have fine soft strands. Others have thin hair...doesn't appear to be very much on their heads. I think I have fine strands and a combo of thin/medium hair. My front edges and nape are thin but my crown and sides are medium. Oh the technicality of it all!!! :spinning:

Castor Oil ... A lot of people say it has thickened their tresses, but does it really work? What kind do you use Serenity? Do you buy yours from a drug store? How does it make your hair smell (I don't like stinky stuff :sad:)

I haven't tried the castor oil from the store, but my guess is that it works the same as black castor oil? I'm not sure though. I use Jamaican Black Castor Oil from www.sams247.com. I love it. I put it in everything, but especially my daily moisturizer, thanks to Trimbride, called Kids Organic Shea Butter Moisturizing and Detangling Leave-In. This moisturizer is somewhat watery but VERY moisturizing and detangles my strands very easily. Since it's a little watery, I added castor oil to the bottle and generally wear my hair in buns daily.

All I can say is that my roots are way thick and my strands are getting thicker. My hair is still fine but it's definitely getting healthier. I would say that the trifecta for thicker hair is: castor oil, biotin, and pantothenic acid. I do use Boundless Tresses, www.growthspecifics.com, but I'm not certain if that's helping to push along the thickness. :yep:

I haven't tried the castor oil from the store, but my guess is that it works the same as black castor oil? I'm not sure though. I use Jamaican Black Castor Oil from www.sams247.com. I love it. I put it in everything, but especially my daily moisturizer, thanks to Trimbride, called Kids Organic Shea Butter Moisturizing and Detangling Leave-In. This moisturizer is somewhat watery but VERY moisturizing and detangles my strands very easily. Since it's a little watery, I added castor oil to the bottle and generally wear my hair in buns daily.

All I can say is that my roots are way thick and my strands are getting thicker. My hair is still fine but it's definitely getting healthier. I would say that the trifecta for thicker hair is: castor oil, biotin, and pantothenic acid. I do use Boundless Tresses, www.growthspecifics.com, but I'm not certain if that's helping to push along the thickness. :yep:

How much Castor Oil do you put in your bottle of daily moisturizer? I want to know how much to add to mine even though I use a different moisturizer.

Do you all fine that you hair responds better when you do the works at everywash and wash less frequently. What I mean is that I have noticed that my hair does better if I wash, light protein treatment, moisture treatment, rollerset.... at every wash and just wash once a week instead of two?

Girl, I don't know yet. I think I may use too much product when moisturizing because I usually end up feeling like I HAVE TO wash twice a week.

Hey Foxxymami

Yeah, it appears thicker when my hair is just blow dried vs when it's flat iron.

My hair is very fine, but I have a lot of those fine hairs. With henna, it coats my fine hairs and increases the diameter of the hairs.

I love henna, when I'm moisturizing properly:rolleyes:.

Thanks lady, good to know....I think I'll try my henna sample sometime this month :up:

How much Castor Oil do you put in your bottle of daily moisturizer? I want to know how much to add to mine even though I use a different moisturizer.

I think you should measure in your hand first. Put some moisturizer in your hand, then follow with the castor oil. Use those two together to see if you like the way your hair feels. That's what I did. Basically I liked the mixture more when added to my bottle of moisturizer, but every person is different. Again I would just experiment to see how much you need for each application.:drunk:

This thread is a wealth of information, and after reading it from beginning to end i have absolutely nothing to add! :grin: Ya'all ladies covered all the essentials of dealing with fine/thin hair from A to Z!!!! Love this!!!!!!!

We are definitely in a class of our own..... and it's so, so, so important that we learn to handle and treat our hair as though it's a rare piece of imported, antique silk. There are really no ifs, ands, or buts about it. :drunk:

Im so glad this has been made a sticky!!!!!

I think you should measure in your hand first. Put some moisturizer in your hand, then follow with the castor oil. Use those two together to see if you like the way your hair feels. That's what I did. Basically I liked the mixture more when added to my bottle of moisturizer, but every person is different. Again I would just experiment to see how much you need for each application.:drunk:

Good idea! Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

Fine-haired chica checking in. :wave:

People always tell me that my hair looks thick to them, but it really is just an illusion. I achieve my mock thickness from:
  • henna treatments
  • castor oil (ends only)
  • commercial color rinses
  • air drying
Seriously ... that's why it may appear thick, but it ain't. That's another reason why I'll be glad when I'm finally natural. My natural hair LOOKS really thick. Again ... it ain't.

ETA: I obviously kept missing this thread. I am so glad this is a sticky now.

Fine-haired chica checking in. :wave:

People always tell me that my hair looks thick to them, but it really is just an illusion. I achieve my mock thickness from:
  • henna treatments
  • castor oil (ends only)
  • commercial color rinses
  • air drying
Seriously ... that's why it may appear thick, but it ain't. That's another reason why I'll be glad when I'm finally natural. My natural hair LOOKS really thick. Again ... it ain't.

ETA: I obviously kept missing this thread. I am so glad this is a sticky now.

:lachen:@ mock thickness. i love it!!!!! yeah i definitely have achieved mock thickness as well. but its so not thick in real life, esp. to the touch. pics can be quite deceiving. in addition, i have done those things as well, and they really do add to the illusion. too bad its just an illusion though. gotta love it! :grin:

O.K. Im waiting to see who gone write out the COMMANDMENTS for us thin/fine-haired ladies:help2:

:perplexed I'm still learning so I don't know what is a good commandment right now. I think the ladies who have healthy regimens and have achieved great lengths should write the commandments. :rolleyes::grin:

Back