Thicken Up Hairline Challenge

Re: Thicken Up Hairline Challenge 2006

Thanks!!

Wearing buns is almost like being on a hair diet, I try to be creative so that I don't get bored. It has been fun so far:D It is like a challenge to see how many styles I can create that are protective and flattering. Skin Care becomes even more important because when you wear your hair up the focus is on your face.

My hair is definitely thicker since using MTG with braids and adding Jamaican Black Castor oil to my conditioners and leave in.
The true test will be when I relax next week.

While I am not officially a part of this challenge, I have to let you ladies know that my hair line has thickened up nicely since May when I started taking Nioxin religiously. And it's not just my hairline either, it's the appearance of my hair in general. I only take one daily along with 2,000mg MSM, 1,000mcg biotin and 1,000 mg of FSO. The reason I pinpoint the Nioxin is simply because I've been taking other other supplements consistently since January and I've seen a considerable change in density only since taking the Nioxin. I did take pics to record my progress back in Feb, but they came out like crap (over-exposed with the flash and mirror)! Oh well, I've started taking more pics to start my long overdue album. A digital camera is on my xmas list this year for sure...

This is the first time I looked in this thread, but I can definitely say the ORS system works. I've used it for several years (I was very bad to my hair and hairline) and these products always gave me good results. So I wish all of you ladies the best of luck because I know you will get there.

Count me in!! I need this challenge and I'm starting by eliminating the brush.

UPDATE: I am still using Nioxin, ORS Serum, and my Sulfur Creme. I have also added nightly massages with Rosemary essential oil diluted into Jojoba oil. I am following the Bargello vitamin regime with Nioxin pills added to the mix. I am still happy with my progress. I noticed that the hair at my hairline is the finest hair on my head. It is extremely fine so I have to be more careful with combing. I think I will not relax this portion of my hair the next time around to keep it chemical free for as long as possible.

I want a Thick and full hairline with no traces of scalp by May 2006.

Good Luck everyone!

I updated my photos again. I still can't believe my progress. Hopefully my hair length and thickness will improve like my hairline did.

I dunno if I mentioned this but I also started doing scalp massages with Rosemary oil and Jojoba oil. They are fun and calming.

Just an update: my edges are almost completely filled in! I've been using MTG (for 2 months) & GNC Ultranourish hair vits and biotin, both are keepers for me.

Hi there,

I'm so new!! LOL I'm trying to figure out what the hair type codings are... I'm am going to jump into the hairline challenge right away because I just came out of years of braids and zowwy, I got hairline and general hair issues! I wrote ealier about my fresh out of braids issue and boy I can tell that I'm going to be in trauma for a while. I'm thinking about getting the special relaxer mentioned in one of the threads because my hair is just soooooooooooo super nappy and i love to workout, the is no way I could maintain a press and curl and workout. But I will have to wait until I can do a good recontructor like Aprogee, maybe a week or two. I burned my neck pressing my hair this morning :perplexed

I'm going to do some research and do some before pictures to post this week!! Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice and encouragement!! I think I'll be venting quite a bit through this transition. I'm changing my mind every 10 minutes about what I should do!! LOL
Janet

Update: I just recently began using Surge along with my homemade MTG and my temples are beginning to show some improvement!!! :) :yay: :yay: :yay:

I am really tempted to try the Sharpley's MTG but I'm afraid I won't be able to stomach the smell. Maybe it won't be as strong since the weather is becoming cooler.

Last edited:

Hello Ladies!

Count me in on this challenge. I have been using MTG since July. It is quite smelly but I mix with Wonder8 Oil. I will explore the ORS Serum. I currently take MSM and biotin. I must say I see an overall improvement in the thickness of my hair but I can't say I see any major improvement with my edges. I will concentrate on them a little more. I haven't used a brush since July and have made a conscious effort to not pull back my hair in tight styles. Thank you so much for starting this challenge....Im in! :grin:

Don't forget to take pictures. This has helped me realize my progress. My edges still look thin to me but without the photos I wouldn't have known how far I have really come.

I know that my hair was even worst than my first before picture. I am now obsessed with hairlines, all I do is look at people's hairlines

I can't wait until mine is THICK and healthy:cool: :D :D :D

I am definitely in I used to wear braids alot and from them being to tight my hairline got thin and realy hasnt thickened. I guess i have been on a challenge for about 2 weeks now. Currently I am using Minoval & WGO mix in a squirt bottle. I use this twice a day but only on the hairline, then I massage it in. I am going to take some pics today so I can see if I am progressing.

trimbride said:
Don't forget to take pictures. This has helped me realize my progress. My edges still look thin to me but without the photos I wouldn't have known how far I have really come.

I know that my hair was even worst than my first before picture. I am now obsessed with hairlines, all I do is look at people's hairlines

I can't wait until mine is THICK and healthy:cool: :D :D :D

I did take before pics. That's what made me really see how TERRIBLE my edges are and seek help fast! So we will see I will take pics again in a month or two...Hoping for the same success as you Trimbride! ;)

I am in this challenge full force.
I am entirely too ashamed to post my before pics up right now, but when I get a chance to start a fotki I will.

My hairline has always been horrible, as I mentioned, I have nearly balding spots on each temple which go back a little too far to be considered normal.
I am probably eventually going to purchase some MTG, but to start out I am going to use products I have for the first few months and if I see no results I am buying the MTG.

Right now I am using castor oil mixed with essential oils of, rosemary, spearmint eucalyptus, and tea tree. I am thinking of adding some sage to it because I have read of the benefits. I massage this into my hair at least once a day, making sure to do extra on the thin temple area. I also have a problem where I sleep on this part of my head a lot which I am sure hinders the growth. I am also experimenting with the best ways to protect my temple area during sleep.

I too am ashamed to post the horrifying sight which is my right temple:eek: :mad: . I suffered from having too tight cornrows for 2 years. I fear they will never grow back. I tried surge- thatburnt me, so right now i'm trying castor oil/rosemary every morning and night. I know it will take years and i don't plan on getting cornrows done for a very long time

I would also like to join this challenges. My temples have always been thin. The hair that grows there is very fine and baby soft and doesn't seem to grow over a few inches. I know that it's partly hereditary but alot of it has to do with braids that were too tight and relaxers. Anyhoo,
I started MTG about 2 weeks ago and I dont think I can stomach it for my whole head but at least I can try using it on the temples and other areas of damage. I also tried Surge 14 revitalizer and we shall see. All in all to thicken up my hairline I plan to:

Apply MTG to temples at least 2x a week
Spray with Surge 14 Revitalizer once a day
Minimize manipulation, no tension on the temples
Massage scalp with hot oils and EOs prior to pooing for 5 to 10 minutes
Try to massage temple area once a day.

Last edited:

Don't worry ladies, I too was ashamed to post my first pic. I waited until I made some progress before I posted anything;) . It will get better, just keep babying that hairline:D

Thia may sound like a dumb question but someone please explain the benefit of the oils on the temples. ie Rosemary and Sage? Do these have hair growing elements in them or is it purely the moisturization that is eliminating breakage????? :ohwell:
Also, anyone using Nioxin Supplements? Do they work?

Rosemary Essential Oil- a warming and calming essential oil. Rosemary oil helps improve the circulation of the scalp, promoting hair growth. Lavender Essential Oil- relaxes the scalp and may help slow hair loss (alopecia).
Ylang Ylang Essential Oil- acts as an antiseptic and stimulates cell& hair growth.

Here are some benefits of essential oils on the hair and scalp. Be sure to mix them with a carrier oil like Jojoba, grapeseed or olive oil before applying to your scalp. You should have more carrier oil than essential oil in the mix.

I started taking nioxin pills I don't know if they work I take so many vitamins and do so many things I can't attribute the growth to one thing. I haven't been consistent so Iwill need to get back on the wagon with that.

:D :D :D

trimbride said:
I have been researching and experimenting with a cream that I made up.

I used to use MTG for a while but the oiliness and smell and time it took to apply were annoying. I used to apply MN then MTG on top of that it took at least a half hour.

I created a cream with Organic Root Stimulator No More Flakes, Sublimed Sulfur powder, grapeseed oil, castor oil, and Miconozale Nitrate. The ingredients of the ORS No More Flakes look really good :D they are listed below:

Ingredients
Herbal Infusion of Purified Water , Horsetail , Stinging Nettle , Garlic , Kola Nut , Panthenol , Oil of Castor Bean , Isopropyl Palmitate , Oleth 10 , Benzocaine , Glycerine , Menthol , Soy Bean Oil , Propylene Glycol , Essential Fatty Acids , Omega 3 , Omega 6 , Capsicum , Rice Bran Oil , Fragrant Oils

This came about by accident because I wanted to save time and money by combining products. First I put about a 1/2 teaspoon of the sublimed sulfur powder into about 2 ounces of grapeseed oil. I let that sit for a couple of days then I mixed it with about 1 ounce of castor oil, a tube of generic MN and about 3/4 of a jar of No More Flakes. I have been using it on my scalp for a couple of days. It has a more creamy watery consistency but it isn't as runny as MTG and it doesn't stink. Hopefully all of this stuff will have a synergistic effect. :)

Good Luck to everyone!!!

what is MN??

I'm in on this challenge too. My temples will make any woman cry. I will post pics after I see results. I couldn't dare post pics now. I'm too ashamed.:(

i guess i'm on this challenge cause my hair sure is thicker..my latest concotion is hot six oil..i added castor oil and jajoba oil to it..i oil my scalp every other day with it and MN..and its my pre poo before every wash...the first time i used it my new growth and hair was sooo soft.

MN is Miconozale Nitrate (Monistat 7) There is a thread on it and how it helps to grow out your hair. I use it off and on now, If I find a leftover tube I just add it to whatever I am putting in my hair...I haven't actually seen any results from it, but I use sooooooooo many things it is hard to assign any positive results to one particular thing.

Welcome to all the new Challengers

Good Luck!!!!

I'm in, I have been using Doo Gro medicated hair vitalizer, Mega Thick anti-thinning formula, the lady at Sally's told me that it was good for the hair line and I also read on the internet some good reviews. I add a little rosemary and peppermint oil for stimulation. I've only been doing it for about 2-3 weeks, once or twice a day. I want to try to consistantly use it for at least 6 months. I wanted to try MN but I heard about the headaches people were getting and changed my mind.

Good luck everyone, please share your results.

I went to Earthfare today and bought some more essential oils. I am trying to get back to daily conditioner washing. Yesterday I did Nexus Emergencie and my hair was a little hard. So today I mixed suave humectant conditioner with Ylang Ylang, Rosemary, Lavendar, & Grapefruit essential oils. I massaged the conditioner into my scalp. I did my head massage leaning over at the waist for about 5 minutes. My scalp feels really good, and this mix smells Great!!!:D

I want to start doing this as much as I can...I really want my hair to be on point for Thanksgiving.

Okay I am motivated, I am going to exercise now

Good Luck Ladies!:D

I am amazed I didn't know about this. I really NEED this challenge. I am in!!

Now I need to figure out what to use.....

There are several methods I thought may work. Now I need to focus on one.

Back