Thick Hair Blues

I broke my comb :ohwell:.

I don't mean to complain about a good thing, but dealing with thick hair presents some difficulties:

-Broken combs
-I can never use a "dime" or "quarter" size of any product. I feel sad when I read about other members using a "dab" of anything.
-Having a big head with thick hair on top of it means no hats fit me.
-I can't go more than a day without combing my hair without having a serious detangling job.

Let me know I'm not alone! Please share your Thick Hair Blues.

Don't be sad...I have broken a few combs too. I have always been told that I have thick hair, but I just don't see it. Maybe I have some type of hair anorexia or something;)

nefertitiblack said:
I broke my comb :ohwell:.

I don't mean to complain about a good thing, but dealing with thick hair presents some difficulties:

-Broken combs
-I can never use a "dime" or "quarter" size of any product. I feel sad when I read about other members using a "dab" of anything.
-Having a big head with thick hair on top of it means no hats fit me.
-I can't go more than a day without combing my hair without having a serious detangling job.

Let me know I'm not alone! Please share your Thick Hair Blues.

I love my hair and wouldn't trade for anything.

but girl you are preaching to the choir! I cannot find a hat that fits, well, that 'cause of my big ole head!

a dab of anything doesn't penetrate the bottom layers of hair. i need a GLOBS!

i've broken many combs too.

nikkipoo said:
Don't be sad...I have broken a few combs too. I have always been told that I have thick hair, but I just don't see it. Maybe I have some type of hair anorexia or something;)

ME TOO!!! I JUST DONT SEE IT! And dont feel bad Nef, I know what you're going through. When I was in like 5th grade I told my mom that I wished I had thin hair and she told me to be careful what I wish for because I just might get it. And after using heat and hard gel everyday for a few months it happened and I looked a stir fried mess!:eek: It took a few years for my hair to regain its thickness, but to me it still feels like it never fully recovered...and I'm 22 now!:(

nikkipoo said:

I never believed people when they said I had thick hair, either. I have hair anorexia when it comes to length, lately it feels like my hair is not growing at all.:lol:

DSylla said:
I love my hair and wouldn't trade for anything.

but girl you are preaching to the choir! I cannot find a hat that fits, well, that 'cause of my big ole head!

a dab of anything doesn't penetrate the bottom layers of hair. i need a GLOBS!

i've broken many combs too.

You feel my pain! I don't even bother to try on hats in the store. My friend wanted me to try on her snowboarding helmet,but I told her it wouldn't fit. She said, "Sure it will my head is big,too." That helmet sat on top of my head like a beanie :lachen:

Did it take you a while to figure out how much more product you needed? BTW, your hair is GORGEOUS!

lexi84 said:
ME TOO!!! I JUST DONT SEE IT! And dont feel bad Nef, I know what you're going through. When I was in like 5th grade I told my mom that I wished I had thin hair and she told me to be careful what I wish for because I just might get it. And after using heat and hard gel everyday for a few months it happened and I looked a stir fried mess!:eek: It took a few years for my hair to regain its thickness, but to me it still feels like it never fully recovered...and I'm 22 now!:(

Well, from your pics it looks very thick and healthy!

before joinning the club
I hated how thick my hair is, because no body wanted to do my hair
or if the did my hair I had the hear how nappy and thick my hair is.

Like :
Damn what is that on your head becuase it feels like "I can scrub my pots with it" or "Girl I need to prepare myslef before you come here" and the biggest one of all " Lets just cut this off and I can make your hair come in softer and smoother".
I could never get my hair done in the same day of calling for an appointment

But now I know that was all HATE HATE HATE , they wish the had like me:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

All of you lovely thick haired ladies count your blessings. I used to have very thick hair but due to bad hair practices (lack of knowledge) it became thin. I can't wait for my hair to come back in full again. I wont be able to wear my pretty barettes but oh well.

nefertitiblack said:
You feel my pain! I don't even bother to try on hats in the store. My friend wanted me to try on her snowboarding helmet,but I told her it wouldn't fit. She said, "Sure it will my head is big,too." That helmet sat on top of my head like a beanie :lachen:

Did it take you a while to figure out how much more product you needed? BTW, your hair is GORGEOUS!

Nah...i just knew. and because i know i run through my products quickly, i buy tubs of stuff.

people take being able to wear a hat for granted man! :lol:

a few years ago, i wanted to wear this new cap i brought so bad. it was tight but i made it fit.

well, 1/2 hour after wearing it, i got a headache.

in the name of fashion and being cute, it suffered through it.

well, the headache got worse! it got soo bad, the pain was soo intense (at this point, i took the cap off) i thought my brain was trying to squeeze through me ear! and i began puking.

my mom and by husband rushed me to the emergency room. it was just a migrane! :lol: :lol: :lol:

hey, i've never had a migrane before so i couldn't identify it as such.

lesson learned - stay away from hats!

You hair is beautiful too! I love her versatile it is. Straight then curly. Nice!

DSylla said:
Nah...i just knew. and because i know i run through my products quickly, i buy tubs of stuff.

people take being able to wear a hat for granted man! :lol:

a few years ago, i wanted to wear this new cap i brought so bad. it was tight but i made it fit.

well, 1/2 hour after wearing it, i got a headache.

in the name of fashion and being cute, it suffered through it.

well, the headache got worse! it got soo bad, the pain was soo intense (at this point, i took the cap off) i thought my brain was trying to squeeze through me ear! and i began puking.

my mom and by husband rushed me to the emergency room. it was just a migrane! :lol: :lol: :lol:

hey, i've never had a migrane before so i couldn't identify it as such.

lesson learned - stay away from hats!

You hair is beautiful too! I love her versatile it is. Straight then curly. Nice!

Sylly, I just love love love your hair! soooo perrty and thick. *drool*...lol.:grin:

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE having thick hair.......when it comes to the way certain styles look. But when it comes to actually doing these styles, oh my goodness.

Even before I joined the board, I learned from my stylist that you should never blow dry your hair when it's soaking wet. Well, when I do my hair at home, I ALWAYS air dry because I don't even want to be bothered with sitting up under a hair dryer for hours. I have better things to do. So, when I start to wear my hair down again, I will have to invest in steam rollers, because roller sets are not going to work.

I have can relate to what a couple of you said. I regularly broke combs as a kid. And I've broken a few as a adult.

My stylist says I couldn't pay her to give me a straw set, because my hair is too thick. Now, when a stylist turns down money, I say there's an issue!!!:lol:

Ms_Twana said:
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE having thick hair.......when it comes to the way certain styles look. But when it comes to actually doing these styles, oh my goodness.

Even before I joined the board, I learned from my stylist that you should never blow dry your hair when it's soaking wet. Well, when I do my hair at home, I ALWAYS air dry because I don't even want to be bothered with sitting up under a hair dryer for hours. I have better things to do. So, when I start to wear my hair down again, I will have to invest in steam rollers, because roller sets are not going to work.

I have can relate to what a couple of you said. I regularly broke combs as a kid. And I've broken a few as a adult.

My stylist says I couldn't pay her to give me a straw set, because my hair is too thick. Now, when a stylist turns down money, I say there's an issue!!!:lol:

Your twistout looks good!

I touched up yesterday and did a bantu knot set. I took them out and finger-combed right as dh came home. (I hadn't worn my hair down in months)
When he saw my hair he said it looked fake. It hurt my feelings at first, but when I looked in the mirror I had to admit that it looked un-be-weaveable. :lol:
So I did a half-up, half-down style instead which looked better. Maybe when I get some more length it'll improve.

UmSumayyah said:
I touched up yesterday and did a bantu knot set. I took them out and finger-combed right as dh came home. (I hadn't worn my hair down in months)
When he saw my hair he said it looked fake. It hurt my feelings at first, but when I looked in the mirror I had to admit that it looked un-be-weaveable. :lol:
So I did a half-up, half-down style instead which looked better. Maybe when I get some more length it'll improve.
I don't understand why you both thought your hair looked fake. Was it because it the thickness of your hair? I'm sure it had pretty waves from the bantu knot set.

Isis said:
I don't understand why you both thought your hair looked fake. Was it because it the thickness of your hair? I'm sure it had pretty waves from the bantu knot set.

The waves were pretty, but it was so thick it looked unrealistic. when I saw it I was immediately reminded of a weave my aunt had a few years bag. Same color, texture, and length.

Yeah, I haven't broken any combs yet (maybe a few teeth of a comb) but I can't just use a dime or quarter size amount of product either...I have to use more.

Oh! Has anyone's hair broken or snagged a nail? Mine has! I didn't know my hair was that strong. :lol:

When I was younger, I used to hate having thick hair. Now I love it. :love:

I can definitely relate to breaking combs.

Back