There's no such thing as product buildup!

Starian

HAIR MYTH #247, DEBUNKED

There is no such thing as "buildup" from hair products. Think of your face. You don't use a buildup remover to remove your makeup; you use a cleanser or soap and water. Similarly, your regular shampoo will cleanse your hair of so-called buildup."

-Excerpted from Happy Hair Days, by trichologist Philip Kingsley

Take from the September issue of O magazine, page 114.

Personally, I think he is on some BS, trichologist or not. I know my head and I know what buildup feels like, and I need more than my regular shampoo to get rid of it. Perhaps he's talking about the hair of the Caucasian persuasion, and not my 4a hair, I dunno. :look:

Thoughts, ladies? :yawn:

Nah, I don't buy it. Many of us have first hand experience with product build up. I sure do. I've seen how my hair behaves differently and responds to products differently after a deep, stripping, shampoo. :yep:

ETA: and maybe he says that your regular shampoo will remove "so-called build-up" because he assumes that the majority of women out there are using shampoos with harsh and heavy sulfates almost daily. (we don't shampoo daily as most other ethnicities do)

^^^^ ITA. Most shampoos were made to meet the needs of other types of hair which tend to be oily and need to be stripped daily because of all the oils.

Our hair is very different which is why most shampoos are bad for us.

very false. I think the only way I'd never get build up is if I only put product (moisturizer, gel, etc) in my hair on days that I washed with shampoo... but then my hair would be a dried up mess for the 7-14 days in between that time

the face analogy is off... I'm sure if we put moisturizer and oil on our faces twice a day and only washed it a couple times a week (or less) we would need buildup remover.. not to mention there actually are products and facials for cleansing/clarifying the pores

HAIR MYTH #247, DEBUNKED

There is no such thing as "buildup" from hair products. Think of your face. You don't use a buildup remover to remove your makeup; you use a cleanser or soap and water. Similarly, your regular shampoo will cleanse your hair of so-called buildup."

-Excerpted from Happy Hair Days, by trichologist Philip Kingsley

Take from the September issue of O magazine, page 114.

Personally, I think he is on some BS, trichologist or not. I know my head and I know what buildup feels like, and I need more than my regular shampoo to get rid of it. Perhaps he's talking about the hair of the Caucasian persuasion, and not my 4a hair, I dunno. :look:

Thoughts, ladies? :yawn:

What?
First of all the skin has buildup....that's why we exfoliate. If regular soap was enough many ppl wouldn't be suffering from acne problems.

In any case I know plenty of women who don't use 'regular soap and water' to remove their make up.
They use 'make-up removers'. Just like some women use 'clarifying shampoos'.

Was this from a reputable magazine? Does this dude have any reputable sources for his theories? Seems like he is talkin all out his a**...

Whatever...
Anyway I have hair buildup. That's all I know....

Nah, I don't buy it. Many of us have first hand experience with product build up. I sure do. I've seen how my hair behaves differently and responds to products differently after a deep, stripping, shampoo. :yep:

ETA: and maybe he says that your regular shampoo will remove "so-called build-up" because he assumes that the majority of women out there are using shampoos with harsh and heavy sulfates almost daily. (we don't shampoo daily as most other ethnicities do)

Precisely. You wouldn't have buildup if you used sulfates daily. Shoooo, you most likely have some right dry hair, too. Which, then, would cause most women to start using more products, thus making their hair even goopier, thus using more shampoo, thus..... :nono: So sad.

What?
First of all the skin has buildup....that's why we exfoliate. If regular soap was enough many ppl wouldn't be suffering from acne problems.

In any case I know plenty of women who don't use 'regular soap and water' to remove their make up.
They use 'make-up removers'. Just like some women use 'clarifying shampoos'.

Was this from a reputable magazine? Does this dude have any reputable sources for his theories? Seems like he is talkin all out his a**...

Whatever...
Anyway I have hair buildup. That's all I know....

Exactly! So well put! :nono:

Seriously. There is nothing that suits absolutely everyone when it comes to hair, and anytime someone starts making blanket statements, I start giving them the side-eye.

I DO WASH DAILY and I STILL NEED to clarify with baking soda + shampoo. :wallbash:

I use SLS-free poos and it's been a "secret" to my hair growth remaining constant. Clean scalp = perfect growing environment.

I got to BSL texlaxed this way (washing so frequently) and will get there again (on rebound from Big Chop to natural).

*enters the minority*

speaking for me, my hair & my face.

my face/skin does not get build up, the skin cells turn over and i exfoliate the dead skin, i don't exfoliate non-existent build up. i very rarely use soap, i "wash" with warm water and a wash cloth or almond oil. i used to have acne and stopping the use of harsh soaps and using oil got rid of it. if i wear make up i use plain ol petroleum jelly, baby oil or pond's cold cream to take it off.

i do not clarify my hair anymore. i learned that i don't need it since i don't have product build up; never have even if i use cones.

i don't know if his comments are true or not, but it is true for me.

what kind of "expert" compares HAIR with SKIN? I cant wait for his recommendation on what toner I need for my hair

Back