The Weather...L.A. vs. CHICAGO....

Lucky's Mom

So - I am wondering about something.....

How do the ladies that live in the ICY weather do your hair? does it freeze? How do you keep your regimen going????

I live in L.A. Today it will be 83.... But it is dry - so I have to keep the moisture level up...

I just wondered how you ladies hang.

Good luck in that weather.....

As a Chicago native (I live twenty min away in Hammond), It's really tough. I just took my daughter to school and her hair is tucked away with a phony bun (baggy underneath) and I'm doing a whole head baggy underneath a nice warm wool cap.

I'd KILL for 83 degrees....Our wind chill is currently at 35 below right now!!!

My regimen stays same. I keep my hair pinned up. Satin scarf under wool hat. No co-washing. :nono: My dd co-washed her hair. I had to make her blow-dry hair. Cold is heck out there. Chicago weather is brutal.

Last edited:
Well I live in Chicago and it is currently -10 degrees with a wind chill (what it feels like) of -20. I have my hair in a sew in as a protective style. But because of the heat that warms our house my hair does still tend to be dry. So I still moisturize my hair and scalp by spraying Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 on it.
My hair has never frozen because I have not stayed outside long enough for that to happen. In this type of weather the best place to be is indoors under the cover !:grin:

As a Chicago native (I live twenty min away in Hammond), It's really tough. I just took my daughter to school and her hair is tucked away with a phony bun (baggy underneath) and I'm doing a whole head baggy underneath a nice warm wool cap.

I'd KILL for 83 degrees....Our wind chill is currently at 35 below right now!!!

WOW..... Yea... I will live in LA forever. I am a native.... and I can't live without the beach, or a movie star :love: or two.....

THanks a lot samanthajones67. LOL I'm thinking about moving to L.A. I'm trying to get my screenwriting career off the ground. Not that easy to do in the Midwest, but I have a few contacts on the west coast. Maybe one day, I'll see ya around!

I'm sporting a half wig. I put a whole lot of oil on my hair then put on the half wig. I keep it on for a week, wash my hair then start all over again. I tried baggying under the half wig but I could hear the plast shower cap that I was using.

If anyone has any suggestion on how to baggy under the half wig without worrying about hearing plastic crunch everytime something is bump against my head, please let me know.

THanks a lot samanthajones67. LOL I'm thinking about moving to L.A. I'm trying to get my screenwriting career off the ground. Not that easy to do in the Midwest, but I have a few contacts on the west coast. Maybe one day, I'll see ya around!

NO!!!! STAY where you ARE!!!!

Just kidding......:lachen: I have a couple of friend that are writers ( screenwriters... )Let me know if you come out!!!

:lachen: Rub it in L.A. native !

When the weather is this bad a lot of the radio stations have people call in and say why they continue to live in Chicago.

I would love to live in a warm weather climate but all my family is here and I guess you could say that living in this type of environment adds character :look:

At least that what I tell my self to make it through !

Chicago winters can be brutal! This winter is definately wrecking havoc on my hair and skin!!! I wear a satin bonnet under my wool hat so my hair isn't affected by the elements. However, I pretty much live under a space heater and they dry my hair and skin out something terrible. I've been using shea butter and EVOO to moisturize (hair and body) and it seems to be helping.

sidenote: SJ, I'm so jealous of your 83 degree weather... It's bitter cold in Chicago today! My face froze on my way to the office... It's so cold, it hurts!!!

:lachen: Rub it in L.A. native !

When the weather is this bad a lot of the radio stations have people call in and say why they continue to live in Chicago.

I would love to live in a warm weather climate but all my family is here and I guess you could say that living in this type of environment adds character :look:

At least that what I tell my self to make it through !

Yea, My whole family is here. I can understand. My mother in law lives in Missouri... and I have told here many times- that I will NEVER leave LA.

Chicago winters can be brutal! This winter is definately wrecking havoc on my hair and skin!!! I wear a satin bonnet under my wool hat so my hair isn't affected by the elements. However, I pretty much live under a space heater and they dry my hair and skin out something terrible. I've been using shea butter and EVOO to moisturize (hair and body) and it seems to be helping.

sidenote: SJ, I'm so jealous of your 83 degree weather... It's bitter cold in Chicago today! My face froze on my way to the office... It's so cold, it hurts!!!

OUCH!!! They show us the weather here, and I am like - "WHA??????????"

I would never make it there. I live in Flip flops.... about 11 months out the year....But - here are the drawbacks of LA......

TRAFFIC... NO Matter WHAT.:rolleyes:

WATER RATIONING....AGAIN. Californina is mostly desert. No Rain, and No Damn Water.....:rolleyes:

FIRE DANGER...ALL the TIME - because it is so dry.

I'm a Chicago native (south suburbs) and I commute downtown to work Metra train. Parking was fairly empty at my train station this morning. I was bundled up so tight this morning I could barely move. As for hair today....bunning.

I agree - - this weather truly adds character. Its funny because today we are -5 F feels like -25 F; but we feel like we have a heat wave when its 20 degrees.

Gotta love CHICAGO!

It aint even traffic no more, its GRIDLOCK, 5 miles and hour on the freeway ,and sometimes less, stop and go, stop and go:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

u forgot to mention earthquakes!!!!

I didnt know it was going to be so warm today, now I know I must water my trees

WOW..... Yea... I will live in LA forever. I am a native.... and I can't live without the beach, or a movie star :love: or two.....

LUCKY! I've visited out there a few times and I just love it I want to move there so bad.

It's freezing here in Michigan and I'm still trying to figure out what to do. I decided to wash less now until the weather breaks and just like I keep my hands covered with gloves to protect them from the elements I try to keep my hair covered with hats when outdoors. I don't wear my hair down in the winter:nono:

ETA. Even though it gets pretty cold here I couldn't do winter in Chicago. I have experienced their winter winds and I thought I was going to freeze in my tracks as I walked!

Last edited:
It aint even traffic no more, its GRIDLOCK, 5 miles and hour on the freeway ,and sometimes less, stop and go, stop and go:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

u forgot to mention earthquakes!!!!

I didnt know it was going to be so warm today, now I know I must water my trees

Well, Earthquakes are no big deal.. not yet.....

It is flip Flop weather today!!!! Yippee!!!:yep:

HAA! I know. I say that too all the time....
OT - When are we getting together!!!!!????? :poke:

I dunno lets plan something soon though

my life has been so crazy, I'm praying for just some smooth sailing-just some for a while :pray:

I'll be out there this weekend tho, we can see if we can work somethin out:yep:

I bought some satin and lined my wool hat. I oil my scalp nightly with a little massaged to keep the dandruff at bay. I have been alternating hollywood olive oil cream and shea butter on my ends. I have been doing roller setting once a week. No co washing. I work in a builiding that is over 100 yrs old. So my office does space heaters in the winter and window ac in the summer. As long as I seal with oil at least every other day and moisturize everyday my hair is not too dry. And walk fast from the door to the car.

So - I am wondering about something.....

How do the ladies that live in the ICY weather do your hair? does it freeze? How do you keep your regimen going????

I live in L.A. Today it will be 83.... But it is dry - so I have to keep the moisture level up...

I just wondered how you ladies hang.

Good luck in that weather.....

Y'all know what? I really USED to like SJ!!!

Seriously though: it was -20 F yesterday and today, so the regimen involves more moisture/sealing. It's also turned around my time so that I wash when I can stay in the house and get it dry, instead of wet bunning and going on with my errands or classes. It is also potentially having an impact on my relaxer schedule. I am considering relaxing after 13 weeks instead of going 6 months if I see breakage from the weather.

*sigh* I need to move to Hawaii. My hair grows so fast and happy there....

Seriously though: it was -20 F yesterday and today, so the regimen involves more moisture/sealing. It's also turned around my time so that I wash when I can stay in the house and get it dry, instead of wet bunning and going on with my errands or classes. It is also potentially having an impact on my relaxer schedule. I am considering relaxing after 13 weeks instead of going 6 months if I see breakage from the weather.

Thats where I want to move to:yep:

Soulie... You need to quit. You ain't never gonna stop lovin' me :kiss:

Well I still need to cowash to combat the dryness but I just do it every other night and make sure I seal well. When I go out I just slap on a wig and a hat and be on my way. I actually like the winter and the snow. It would really bother me to live somewhere I couldn't enjoy all the seasons. However...on days like today I wouldn't mind taking a trip out to LA. Got any room at he INN SJ...Iris???:lachen:

hey ya'll cali ladies lets all go to malibu this weekend

*I'm joining in the rubbing it in team*

hehe

there will be room at the inn because I'll be at the beach :lachen:

I'm from the L.A. area and live in Chicago now. It's so cold here. Not all my natural friends protective style through the winter, but they may up their DCs and moisture. Some straighten more because they don't have to fight the humidity during the winter.

Back