The Type 4, High Porosity Hangout

What are yall doing for flaky scalp?

My scalp hasnt flaked since i wash it every 1-2 weeks. When i was relaxed i washed once a month and had such bad dandruff. When i went on a healthy hair journey and started shampooing once a week and cowashing i havent had flakes since. My natural hair stars to flake after 2 weeks. So long as i wash it before then i dont have any problems. I dont have an oily or sweaty head. I dont apply any oils or greases to my scalp.

I notice if i use a very drying shampoo my scalp will dry out though. If i use sulfate shampoos like Aussie. Last time i washed my hair with aussie my scalp was soo dry the next day it started flaking i had to spray some water and moisturizer on it. Never used aussie again.

Neutral protein filler is Amazing!!!!!:love::love:

I prepoo'ed with Wheat Germ Oil/JBCO/Avocado oil. Wheat Germ Oil is inching to HG status.

I washed with Sally's Ion Hard Water Shampoo ( love) and then clarified with VO5 clarifying shampoo.

**I really wanted all the effects of this protein treatment.**

I applied undiluted neutral protein filler to naked hair, let it sit for about 20 minutes, rinsed and applied Silicon Mix.

**I wanted to use a silicone condish to lock in all that protein I applied.**

I went to the gym with my gym beanie and worked out for an hour.

Came home and butta....my hair was soft soft and fluffy!! I rinsed and separated into 4 sections, applied a co-wash and hopped in the shower.

Detangling was an absolute breeze ( I detangle with fingers only), put hair back in in 4 sections, applied a t-shirt to soak up excess water.

I took down each section and applied my oil mix ( same as above) to my hair, then sprayed with my liquid leave in (Infusium 23).

Applied my leave in - Oyin Hair Dew.

Applied my moisturizer and sealant (TGIN butter cream daily moisturizer/Qhemet Olive & Honey Balm mixed together).

Applied a liitle oil mix to my ends and other dry areas, braided into 8 braids to stretch overnight.

Woke up this morning, did a search and destroy , and cornrowed my hair to wear under my wig/beanie all week.

Will spray with APB refresher daily and apply oil mix as needed.

I really feel like I'm finally turning the corner and getting the hang of this!!!:happydance:

Last edited:
My scalp hasnt flaked since i wash it every 1-2 weeks. When i was relaxed i washed once a month and had such bad dandruff. When i went on a healthy hair journey and started shampooing once a week and cowashing i havent had flakes since. My natural hair stars to flake after 2 weeks. So long as i wash it before then i dont have any problems. I dont have an oily or sweaty head. I dont apply any oils or greases to my scalp.

I notice if i use a very drying shampoo my scalp will dry out though. If i use sulfate shampoos like Aussie. Last time i washed my hair with aussie my scalp was soo dry the next day it started flaking i had to spray some water and moisturizer on it. Never used aussie again.
went against my own advice and shampooed my scalp with V05 shampoo. 30 minutes later my scalp was soooo dry and tight and itchy. I had to grab some braids spray and spritz my scalp. Idk how sulfates effect my hair but my scalp definitely hates it.

Finally got around to testing neutral + nexxus polymedic. I don't dilute the neutral I just spray it on after rinsing my clay treatment, add nexxus polymedic on top and leave them on for around 20 mins to an hour and sometimes I sit under the dryer to let it harden. I'm going to continue to mix them both this has definitely replaced Komaza for me especially since I have no problem being generous with the amount I apply.

I've continued to skip deep conditioners in favor of rinse out conditioners (which I leave in) and my hair is doing great, I was debating using henna but I think I'm going to put it on hold, I want to continue to learn how to handle my hair in its all natural state. My current leave in is camille rose curl milk and my current styler is camille rose curlaide moisture butter. I switch between Jessicurl too shea & curl junkie smoothing on wash day. I'm currently experimenting with curl junkie repair me by using it as one of my rinse out leave ins. (I swear I'm trying so hard to hit protein overload and it still seems impossible for me)

I've been stuck using rhassoul for the past month because I ran out of bentonite, which is WAY better for my hair. I just mix coconut milk+water+bentonite+citric acid with a small amount of honey.

Detangling has been easy for me I don't even think about it anymore, I don't use a comb I finger detangle and tbh I'm not even thorough about it. I finger detangle for 2-3 minutes during every stage except shampooing . So I probably spend about 10 minutes total finger detangling. I know as long as I do a clay treatment + use protein after my hair goes back to normal. My hair has been thriving and it's curing me of my product junkism. It's black friday and all of the sales bore me, I'm buying what I know works oyin, apb(just the protein I'm stocked on leave ins) and curlmart(curl junkie & camille rose).

Updating products that are working for me. For now, I am opting to use products that I can find in store so I have revised my effective product list to the following:

Shampoo
SM Moisture Retention Shampoo :love::love::love:
SM African Black Soap Shampoo (when I have itchy or sore scalp

Conditioner
  • L'Oreal Total Repair Damage Erase Balm:love::love::love:(Treatment)
  • SM Manuka Honey Masque or SM High Porosity Masque (Moisture):love::love::love:
  • Still looking for an on-the-ground holy grail Protein conditioner...thinking about ORS Hair Mayo or Aphogee Curlific
Leave In/Moisturizer
Aphogee Green Tea Keratin leave in
SM Yucca and Plantain moisture milk

Oils
JBCO :love::love::love:
Mane Choice growth oil

Edge Control
Curls control paste :love::love::love:

Last edited:
Neutral protein filler is Amazing!!!!!:love::love:

I prepoo'ed with Wheat Germ Oil/JBCO/Avocado oil. Wheat Germ Oil is inching to HG status.

I washed with Sally's Ion Hard Water Shampoo ( love) and then clarified with VO5 clarifying shampoo.

**I really wanted all the effects of this protein treatment.**

I applied undiluted neutral protein filler to naked hair, let it sit for about 20 minutes, rinsed and applied Silicon Mix.

**I wanted to use a silicone condish to lock in all that protein I applied.**

I went to the gym with my gym beanie and worked out for an hour.

Came home and butta....my hair was soft soft and fluffy!! I rinsed and separated into 4 sections, applied a co-wash and hopped in the shower.

Detangling was an absolute breeze ( I detangle with fingers only), put hair back in in 4 sections, applied a t-shirt to soak up excess water.

I took down each section and applied my oil mix ( same as above) to my hair, then sprayed with my liquid leave in (Infusium 23).

Applied my leave in - Oyin Hair Dew.

Applied my moisturizer and sealant (TGIN butter cream daily moisturizer/Qhemet Olive & Honey Balm mixed together).

Applied a liitle oil mix to my ends and other dry areas, braided into 8 braids to stretch overnight.

Woke up this morning, did a search and destroy , and cornrowed my hair to wear under my wig/beanie all week.

Will spray with APB refresher daily and apply oil mix as needed.

I really feel like I'm finally turning the corner and getting the hang of this!!!:happydance:

So happy for you! Yes!

Based on what you wrote about silicones, I did some more research on cones and permitted myself to try the Joico balm after a salon visit that had my hair shedding. Saved my hair! I have since clarified and moved back to my Curly Girl Method ways (no 'cones or sulfates), but I am so grateful you posted the above! Thanks!

Tried henna for the first time this weekend. I wanted to try it for it's strengthening properties on my fine, hi po hair. My results are OK. The ends are a little bit rougher than they were before, but overall my hair feels stronger when combing. I definitely noticed the color change. It gave my hair a burgundy tint. I think I will be incorporating this into my regimen! :)

I will also henna just before Christmas.

decided to also see how my hi po hair does with and how well i install mini twists since work is shutdown during the holiday. it will be nice to have a break even for a week.

if i can rock it in updos, it will also be a work style when I return after new years.

I will also henna just before Christmas.

decided to also see how my hi po hair does with and how well i install mini twists since work is shutdown during the holiday. it will be nice to have a break even for a week.

if i can rock it in updos, it will also be a work style when I return after new years.

Good luck, @DarkJoy ! Mini twists is my favorite "one week" style. I've heard of some people being able to make them last even longer than that! I hope you enjoy the style. :)

What brand of henna are you planning on using? What about your recipe? I used one bag of Nupur henna mixed with one can of organic coconut milk and a little water to thin out the consistency. I liked it alright for my first time. I'm thinking about adding tea next time...

Good luck, @DarkJoy ! Mini twists is my favorite "one week" style. I've heard of some people being able to make them last even longer than that! I hope you enjoy the style. :)

What brand of henna are you planning on using? What about your recipe? I used one bag of Nupur henna mixed with one can of organic coconut milk and a little water to thin out the consistency. I liked it alright for my first time. I'm thinking about adding tea next time...
hi and thanks! what products do you use to install your twists? because it's so hipo, my hair frizzes real easy which is why I stopped after doing half my head once. lol

my henna mix is nothing exciting. I buy from The Henna Guys on Amazon. Rarely I use coconut milk. Mostly just water. I do precondition with ceramides or the Vatika oil first. I don't wash first or let the dye release overnight anymore. I put henna or hendigo on dry, dirty and oiled hair.

Ive also come to realize 2 to 3 hrs us plenty of time for my hipo fine strands to gey color and conditioning. Comes out great. Been doing it almost 3 years now for greys.

Which detangling method and tools are you ladies using?
I detangle on 80% dry hair. wetter or dryer will cause breakage and splits.

after washing I oil and use a liquid leave in (no creamy stuff), tuck and roll or twist til almost dry, then finger detangle for root webbing. Then run a very wide tooth comb from ends to root in sections.

If there is extra time, I will seek and destroy ssk on each section during to de-webbing stage.

ETA. if there is a knot while combing, I put the comb down and use my fingers to work it out.

Last edited:
Which detangling method and tools are you ladies using?

I finally mastered detangling my hipo, fine, dense, 4a hair.

Details, pictures, video, products, etc. are here: https://blossomingfitnatural.com/my...r-care-and-styling-techniques/how-i-detangle/

I try to keep my hair stretched now and virtually tangle-free because my tangles can get so serious that several passes with a brush/comb are required, and I'm trying to avoid damage to my ends.

I look forward to others' replies.

P.S. Backup product instead of that mentioned in the link is: Shea Moisture's hipo masque shower steamed in, with any oil applied over it after I'm out of the shower and detangling at the sink.

That hipo mask softens my hair to mush -- in a good way -- and that makes detangling incredibly manageable for me! I never not have it.

I just reordered the Soultanicals product mentioned, despite telling myself I was through with the brand. That detangler is otherwordly.

I detangle on 80% dry hair. wetter or dryer will cause breakage and splits.

after washing I oil and use a liquid leave in (no creamy stuff), tuck and roll or twist til almost dry, then finger detangle for root webbing. Then run a wide tooth comb from ends to root in sections.

If there is extra time, I will seek and destroy ssk on each section during to de-webbing stage.

:wave:

Agreed about the reason for detangling on 80% dry hair. :yep:

hi and thanks! what products do you use to install your twists? because it's so hipo, my hair frizzes real easy which is why I stopped after doing half my head once. lol

my henna mix is nothing exciting. I buy from The Henna Guys on Amazon. Rarely I use coconut milk. Mostly just water. I do precondition with ceramides or the Vatika oil first. I don't wash first or let the dye release overnight anymore. I put henna or hendigo on dry, dirty and oiled hair.

Ive also come to realize 2 to 3 hrs us plenty of time for my hipo fine strands to gey color and conditioning. Comes out great. Been doing it almost 3 years now for greys.

For my twists, I start on freshly washed, damp hair. I layer the following products in small sections before I twist: Shea Moisture JBCO leave-in, then Blue Magic Organics Castor Oil hair grease, followed up by some Wetline Xtreme gel. I know, I know hair grease is the devil for most people's hair, but I swear it works as an excellent sealant for my twists. :hide: I use VERY little per section, focusing on the ends, and it really locks that SM JBCO goodness in! As an alternative, sometimes I just use whipped shea butter instead of the grease. It works the same, just doesn't last as long (for me). I use the Wetline gel on top because it has crazy strong hold and keeps the twists in shape. :biggrin:

For my twists, I start on freshly washed, damp hair. I layer the following products in small sections before I twist: Shea Moisture JBCO leave-in, then Blue Magic Organics Castor Oil hair grease, followed up by some Wetline Xtreme gel. I know, I know hair grease is the devil for most people's hair, but I swear it works as an excellent sealant for my twists. :hide: I use VERY little per section, focusing on the ends, and it really locks that SM JBCO goodness in! As an alternative, sometimes I just use whipped shea butter instead of the grease. It works the same, just doesn't last as long (for me). I use the Wetline gel on top because it has crazy strong hold and keeps the twists in shape. :biggrin:
thanks again!

aint nothing wrong with grease! it's one of the few things that actually does lay down my cuticles! hmmm... that might be all I need for twists!

grease also makes nice fluffy twist outs.

I finger detangle on dry hair with Silicon Mix.

I basically take my twists down and apply Silicon Mix to my hair and remove all tangles/knots/shed hair. Twist the section, clip it up and work on another section.

Reasons why I detangle with silcones below:

siliconese do give a nice smooth result and I'm low key jealous of anyone who can use them.

I tried over the summer and any brand I used lit my scalp up--caused eczema flare. The strands looked great though... *sigh*

This has been working awesome on my High-Po hair
beauty-products-hair-2013-loreal-total-repair-5-damage-erasing-balm.jpg

I think the L'Oréal balm may make my hair too mushy. I've noticed more shedding while detangling when I used it as well as the Garnier but I don't wanna take it out the rotation just yet. I have to take note of the shedding if I use it after my protein treatment vs not using a protein treatment.

Oh and I tried the SM high po masque under heat and liked it. Nothing is knocking my socks off just yet.

Last edited:
What is everyone doing about their ends?

Awesome question.

Currently I layer my ends with either (1) Netwurks Custard and DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel or (2) Netwurks Custard + castor oil + jojoba oil.

I had to have a major trim in November, and that was not a happy time. I will have my hair blow dried so my ends can be assessed after 3 months of protecting my ends by:

1. detangling less because I'm not letting my hair tangle much by keeping it stretched

2. caring for ends with product application described above

I am SO curious about The Mane Choice Ancient Egyptian ends serum, but the cost/ounce activates my "Oh, boy, now, unh unh" meter. :smile:

I'm thinking of adding a hot oil treatment. Not sure if I can do this next time since I need to dye my hair so maybe the next time after that.

I'm trying to wait 2 weeks between washes only bc I still use heat. 2 weeks is pushing it for me bc I start wanting to wash my hair after about 5 days. So yea I don't think imma make it lolol

What do you guys think of Aphogee 2 minute versus Komaza protein strengthener? I dont feel like using the Two Step, its too messy and my hair has gotten longer so it doesnt dry like it did when I was a twa.

This has been working awesome on my High-Po hair
beauty-products-hair-2013-loreal-total-repair-5-damage-erasing-balm.jpg
Soooo I went out and bought this to try because of your post. I only tried it once so far, but I like it! It had good slip and left my curls soft and defined after rinsing it out. I especially liked that reasonable price! I think I'm going to alternate this with my SM moisturizing shea butter and hi po masks. I also want to try the SM Manuka Honey mask. Thanks for the tip @Smiley79!

Soooo I went out and bought this to try because of your post. I only tried it once so far, but I like it! It had good slip and left my curls soft and defined after rinsing it out. I especially liked that reasonable price! I think I'm going to alternate this with my SM moisturizing shea butter and hi po masks. I also want to try the SM Manuka Honey mask. Thanks for the tip @Smiley79!

You're welcome. I am so glad you liked it and had a similar experience. I think it's a great product to keep on hand and it's a great price!

I'm thinking of adding a hot oil treatment. Not sure if I can do this next time since I need to dye my hair so maybe the next time after that.

I'm trying to wait 2 weeks between washes only bc I still use heat. 2 weeks is pushing it for me bc I start wanting to wash my hair after about 5 days. So yea I don't think imma make it lolol

Im thinking of doing the same thing. I never do hot oil treatments. This would be a great chance for me to see if I notice any improvements to my hair.

Back