The TRUTH about split ends

alireno

This morning as I was washing my hair I noticed split ends on a few hairs I shed. Just out of curiosity I took each hair and pulled on the split end. I found that what I read somewhere about split ends is true. The hair did not split all the way to the root. It broke off from the other part of the hair and left the rest of it intact. Anyway, what surprised me is that I had split ends in the first place. I haven't used heat in my hair in years, I wash 3 times a week and rinse 4 times a week, moisturize my hair constantly, and ALWAYS wear protective hairstyles. Anyway, my conclusion is regardless of how well you take care of your hair you will have at least a few split ends. I will still continue to care for my hair, but will not go crazy over a few split ends. I think they are unavoidable. I think that not using heat, wearing protective hairstyles, and keeping your hair moisturized will keep the number of split ends to a minimum but will not prevent them from happening altogether.
smile.gif

I agree, I think split ends are inevitable. I've been religiously taking care of my hair, protective styles, keeping my ends oiled, moist, whatever and I have still managed to attain some split ends (not alot tho).

Yep! Same here. No matter how much protective styling and oiling of the ends, those dreadful splits will show up regardless.
frown.gif

In addition to the above mentioned culprits, what you use to cut/trim your hair with should be considered.

the strange thing for me is that i never noticed splits until i started taking better care of my hair. i never had splits before. and i always wore my hair out. now that i try protective styles and doing the rinsing and what not now i see splits. go figure. i am just going to do what my hair likes and stop stressing over it. God bless you all.

I think you're right. The most we can do is try to minimize the number of split ends that we get. I don't think we can completely avoid them. No matter how well I care for my hair, I always notice a few.
smile.gif

Alireno, I totally agree. I do the "test" too, & mine always curve off at 1/2" to less than 3/4", proving splits only travel up so far
smile.gif
. I also agree that they're inevitable. Keeping them to a minimum is all I try to do...

There's a site I visit every once & again geared to splits... let me try to find it....

<font color="DEEPPINK">@ CARAMELHONEE, HOW CAN YOU RELIGIOUSLY TAKE CARE OF YOUR HAIR. IS IT LIKE THIS LIKE YOU DON'T USE CERTAIN PRODUCTS BECAUSE OF YOUR RELIGION?
confused.gif
</font>

I read the split ends link. Thanks for your story Alireno; that's exactly why I don't run to get my ends clipped very often. I THINK clipping occasionally is good, but it should be done in moderation if you're trying to grow your hair longer.

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said: I agree, I think split ends are inevitable. I've been religiously taking care of my hair, protective styles, keeping my ends oiled, moist, whatever and I have still managed to attain some split ends (not alot tho).

[/ QUOTE ]
I can tell by reading your posts that you take great care of your hair.
smile.gif
Keep up the good work.

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="DEEPPINK">@ CARAMELHONEE, HOW CAN YOU RELIGIOUSLY TAKE CARE OF YOUR HAIR. IS IT LIKE THIS LIKE YOU DON'T USE CERTAIN PRODUCTS BECAUSE OF YOUR RELIGION?
confused.gif
</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
I think Caramel meant that figuratively ( as in she takes care of her hair with the same care and consistency as whe would practicing a religion). Am I right on this, Caramelhonee?

VolaunIs2Sexy:

Could you please turn your 'Caps Lock' key off? All those capital letters are hard on the eyes.

Thanks!

Peachtree, thanks for the link...good info
smile.gif

VolaunIs2Sexy, just in case you didn't know, all caps is also perceived as "yelling/screaming" on the internet...and if you did know, I apologize.

Your welcome dear
cool.gif
Wow, I didn't know that about the "Caps".... learn tons of useful info everyday here...
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
confused.gif
</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
. No it means that I just take care of my hair every single day, almost like a bad habit.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
confused.gif
</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
I think Caramel meant that figuratively ( as in she takes care of her hair with the same care and consistency as whe would practicing a religion). Am I right on this, Caramelhonee?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said: I agree, I think split ends are inevitable. I've been religiously taking care of my hair, protective styles, keeping my ends oiled, moist, whatever and I have still managed to attain some split ends (not alot tho).

[/ QUOTE ]

I can tell by reading your posts that you take great care of your hair.
smile.gif
Keep up the good work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I try, I try.
smile.gif
But it can be hard at times because no matter what I do, I need a good dusting b/c of those darn split ends
mad.gif

Great site Peachtree, but unfortunately, it got me examining my hair and I have found some, er....problems. This is devastating! I am going to have to get another trim and soon.
whyme.gif

No wonder my ends were thinning! I didn't realize the damage was so bad! I'm going to try and stretch my perm out another few weeks, so that then, I can get another trim. I just got one 5 weeks ago.
shocked.gif

And the scary part is, with the split ends that I am finding, or the bent ones, if I tug a little bit, they immediately snap at the splitting point. My gawd.
nono.gif

So, it has been true all along. Split ends are no joke. I was in such denial.

gabrielle_union.jpg

Amazingly, I've been noticing less, and less split ends, however I haven't washed my hair since last Saturday because I've been so busy, and guess what?

Yup, major split ends and shedding!!!!!!

Can you ladies guess what I'll be doing tonight???

Back