Split Ends and Breakage

vtoodler

What do you do to prevent split ends and breakage

I do the following:

Avoid heat, moisturize ends, get trims four times a year, condition weekly, avoid excessive brushing

Despite this, I still get split ends.

1. Absolutely no direct heat in between washings
2. Roller-set 90% of the time & only apply direct heat to straighten roots
3. Moisturize my ends
4. Deep condition & pre-poo weekly
5. Trim every 6 months
6. Use protein products & treatments (Aphogee/ Emergencee)
7. Use heat protectants/ leave-ins with protein

I still brush and comb daily (wrapping/ un-wrapping or pin-curling) - no split ends. I think it's because unless I flat-iron (rare, rare, rare) direct heat never touches my ends.

ETA: Pre-LHCF bumping my ends did terrible, horrible damage to them.

i'm in a similar predicament. i always moisturize my ends before wrapping my hair at night. i intend to get a trim after each relaxer touch up(4 times a year). i condition. i only use seamless combs to avoid breakage.

i'm trying to cut back on the blow drying as well.

What do you do to prevent split ends and breakage

I do the following:

Avoid heat, moisturize ends, get trims four times a year, condition weekly, avoid excessive brushing

Despite this, I still get split ends.

What are you using to moisturize? There are some products that have been recommended highly on here as moisturizers that just did BAD things to my hair -- it's not just the ACT of moisturizing; it's what you're using. I had to do a lot of trying and discarding before I found what worked for me.

mizzdebbie, what is pre-poo?

Also, have you been having success with your new system of doing things?

What are you using to moisturize? There are some products that have been recommended highly on here as moisturizers that just did BAD things to my hair -- it's not just the ACT of moisturizing; it's what you're using. I had to do a lot of trying and discarding before I found what worked for me.

so true! It takes a while to find the right moisturizer sometimes.

mizzdebbie, what is pre-poo?

Also, have you been having success with your new system of doing things?

Some people pre-poo different ways - basically it's treating the hair (think deep conditioning or scalp treatment) before you shampoo. Most people mix up their own pre-poo recipe, some buy a commercial pre-shampoo treatment.

I use a mix of tips from Macheriamour (Gennifer Miller) & Traycee for my pre-poo.

I mix conditioner with a few drops of rosemary, eucalyptus, and peppermint oil & apply it to my scalp. (This soothes my itchy scalp and prevent dandruff and flaking, it tingles, stimulates the scalp, and feels sooo good!)

I then apply conditioner (w/o the oils in it) to the rest of my hair and do a steam treatment by applying a hot wet towel to my hair with a plastic cap.

I let mine sit until the towel cools, about 20-30 minutes. I swear, this has done wonders for eliminating my dandruff and increasing my moisture retention - shampooing is very drying and I think the pre-poo/ DC on dry hair combats the drying effect.

ETA:
I got the scalp mixture idea from Traycee's blog (www.keepitsimplesista.blogspot.com)
I got the steam treatment from Macheriamour (www.healthytextures.com) - her site costs, but you know she has free youtube tutorials still.

Last edited:
Back