The Troof About End Wraps!

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
So ladies, I've been rollersetting for the better part of my life and using end wraps. I was at the BSS this afternoon buying more wraps when a woman who identified herself as a stylist informed me that end wraps do little to protect the ends. In fact, she said, using the wraps actually dries out the ends. I told her that I had been using them for most of my life, convinced that they actually protect from breakage. So then she asked me to observe others doing rollersets. Do they use wraps? I think about it, and cannot recall seeing many stylists use the wraps; however, I don't frequent salons very often.

Can anyone tell me the truth about end wraps?

Does anyone even use them anymore besides moi?

And finally, OT: I want to thank all of you again who helped me with my underprocessing problem. You ladies are truly angels!

SP

I use end wraps because they help me get my ends really smooth on the roller. Once I stopped using heat, I've never seen any damage on my ends from using them.

My very first hairdresser was old school and used two. Because I wasn't coordinated, a friend of mine (with MBL hair) whose mom was a hairdresser showed me how to use one by folding it in half - much easier when you're all thumbs like me. But yeah, you're right, not many stylists use them, then again not many know how to do roller sets either.

End Wraps:

FPO-Jumbo-End-Wraps-1000-ct-B0009G05XM-M-A286USASQ0O8B_.jpg

From Sally's:

157990.jpg

Most people use end wraps on mesh rollers to keep the ends from looking weird. They are more than necessary to get a smooth set with these rollers. I have never heard of anyone using them on magnetic rollers though.

LovelyMiracle said:
Most people use end wraps on mesh rollers to keep the ends from looking weird. They are more than necessary to get a smooth set with these rollers. I have never heard of anyone using them on magnetic rollers though.

I definitely agree with you about getting a smoother set. I have used end wraps with my magnetic rollers for years and I get nice smooth ends. So did one of my stylist in the past. IMO I think you get a better/smoother set using the end wraps. I've never heard a stylist refer to them as damaging because of drying the hair out.

I STOPPED USING THEM ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO AFTER LONGTIME USE, WITH NO ILL EFFECT'S. I FOUND SOME ROLLERS WITH VERY FINE MESH ON THEM AT SALLY'S. THEY LEAVE A SMOOTHER SET THAN MOST MESH ROLLER'S. MY END'S ARE JUST AS HEALTHY WITHOUT END PAPERS, AND IT CUT'S DOWN ON TIME.

COMPARE THE MESH ROLLERS AT SALLY'S, I BELEIVE THEY STILL HAVE 2 DIFFERENT TYPES. YOU WILL SEE ONE WITH MORE SPACE IN THE MESH, AND ONE WITH A FINER MESH. THE FINER ONE IS SMOOTHER AND TO ME PROTECT'S YOUR HAIR MORE FROM THE METAL INSIDE THE ROLLER THAT HEAT'S UP. THE HOT METAL IS WHERE THE DAMAGE COMES IN. HOPE THIS MAKES SENSE

I don't use end wraps at home, my hair stylist doesn't either. She just puts a lot of foam in my hair and does it that way.

Come to think of it, I don't use foam either. :lol:

Well, as a former licensed stylist, we were taught in cosmetology school to do rollersets without them. Personally, I find that the tension that the end wraps help me create, helps me get my roots straighter now that I am stretching. Tip: For ultimate straightness when stretching and rollersetting, you can't beat using two end papers. One lays on top of the hair and one lays on the bottom of the hair. Let the papers extend beyond the hair ends. Grab the end wraps and put them on the roller and pull. This will get your roots straighter than you can imagine!

What she said. I never use end papers with magnetics. The ends lay smooth on those rollers if your hair is wet. When I use wire mesh rollers I use the end papers or else my ends come out crinkly.

LovelyMiracle said:

Well it does make sense bacuase end wraps are made of paper and that cant zap some of the moisture out. I dont use them for roller sets but they are nessary for my Steam sets and flexi rods or I will have frizzy ends. BTW, I remember my stylist using them for stray ends only to make sure all the hair stays on the roller.

crlsweetie912 said:
Well, as a former licensed stylist, we were taught in cosmetology school to do rollersets without them. Personally, I find that the tension that the end wraps help me create, helps me get my roots straighter now that I am stretching. Tip: For ultimate straightness when stretching and rollersetting, you can't beat using two end papers. One lays on top of the hair and one lays on the bottom of the hair. Let the papers extend beyond the hair ends. Grab the end wraps and put them on the roller and pull. This will get your roots straighter than you can imagine!

Girl!

I am loving your comments but whatz up on the grub? I am trying to enlarge the picture to see whatz for dinner. What time should I be there....? I so hongree

I used to use end wraps when I was learning how to roller set because it helped keep the hair neat on the roller. My friend's mom who taught me how to roller set used them so I did as well.

mommatide said:
I STOPPED USING THEM ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO AFTER LONGTIME USE, WITH NO ILL EFFECT'S. I FOUND SOME ROLLERS WITH VERY FINE MESH ON THEM AT SALLY'S. THEY LEAVE A SMOOTHER SET THAN MOST MESH ROLLER'S. MY END'S ARE JUST AS HEALTHY WITHOUT END PAPERS, AND IT CUT'S DOWN ON TIME.

COMPARE THE MESH ROLLERS AT SALLY'S, I BELEIVE THEY STILL HAVE 2 DIFFERENT TYPES. YOU WILL SEE ONE WITH MORE SPACE IN THE MESH, AND ONE WITH A FINER MESH. THE FINER ONE IS SMOOTHER AND TO ME PROTECT'S YOUR HAIR MORE FROM THE METAL INSIDE THE ROLLER THAT HEAT'S UP. THE HOT METAL IS WHERE THE DAMAGE COMES IN. HOPE THIS MAKES SENSE

Question about the Mesh rollers, though: What would you use to secure the rollers, since the paper is on the rollers? Do you purchase the plastic pins for the rollers or use bobby pins? What about the metal clips? I've always wondered this because I like the mesh rollers but I don't like the plastic pins because the sharp tip irritate my scalp.

Miss*Tress said:
I use end wraps because they help me get my ends really smooth on the roller. Once I stopped using heat, I've never seen any damage on my ends from using them.

My very first hairdresser was old school and used two. Because I wasn't coordinated, a friend of mine (with MBL hair) whose mom was a hairdresser showed me how to use one by folding it in half - much easier when you're all thumbs like me. But yeah, you're right, not many stylists use them, then again not many know how to do roller sets either.

I use one wrapper that is folded around the hair. I use the longer side so that the wrap goes further up on the hair strands.;)

Personally what a stylist does or does not do is no indicator of healthy hair practices.

We all know the deal with sylist...hmph

Serenity_Peace said:
Question about the Mesh rollers, though: What would you use to secure the rollers, since the paper is on the rollers? Do you purchase the plastic pins for the rollers or use bobby pins? What about the metal clips? I've always wondered this because I like the mesh rollers but I don't like the plastic pins because the sharp tip irritate my scalp.

I use the extra long plastic roller pins to secure my mesh rollers. The ones I have suck because they don't have the bump in the middle that makes the pin stay in the roller. If any of you know where I can find some better pins or a better way to secure them please let a sistah know

LovelyMiracle said:
I use the extra long plastic roller pins to secure my mesh rollers. The ones I have suck because they don't have the bump in the middle that makes the pin stay in the roller. If any of you know where I can find some better pins or a better way to secure them please let a sistah know
Look in any of the BSS/Dollar stores for the plastic roller pins with the bump in the middle. They are everywhere in this area.

LovelyMiracle said:

OFF TOPIC, LovelyMiracle, your hair is really beautiful !!

Miss*Tress said:

I agree, I'm a stylist and I use them ONLY when the hair is very short or uneven lengths. My mom has a short bob and her kitchen area is short so I use the end paper as a "length increaser." That was even though it may be sooo short to roll, the paper helps to create more to hold onto. However when a length over a few inches, if the hair is wet enough it should hold.
BUT end papers aren't used to protect the ends, just make sure they are smooth IMO.

Back