Flat irons + Blow Dryers = THE DEVIL!

I just tried Redken Smooth Down. It REALLY protects but is heavier than Chi Silk Infusion....but I felt that my hair didn't suffer at all...until I noticed 2 inch hairs in the sink today. I pincurled tonight.

There are some great substitutes for curling hair without thermal heat. Try steam rollers or flexi rods and see if you can recreate the style without direct heat.

I think blowdrying could be done safely if the heat is on low/cool not the hottest setting possible; and of course use a heat protectant. Then use more heat protectant and flatiron on a medium setting.

They are not the devil if you use them correctly.

ITA...... i love my blowdryer & roundbrush: it made my hair healthier actually. The dominicans use the two: using it more than 3x a month may pose a problem but other than that: I LOVE MY ANGELS:grin:

when I was natural I blowdried and flat ironed once a week. My natural hair was as strong as fort knocks! I probably could have lit it on fire and nothing would have happened lol

I did both yesterday - I used Wen Styling Creme and FHI Hot Sauce over it. Came out beautifully.

ummmmm speak for yourself lol. i blowdry and flat iron once a week and my hair is growing nicely.
what i do to keep t healthy is use protein every week. i shampoo with joico k pak, do the deep penetrating reconstructor once every 2 weeks, and the hydrator once a week. i also pre poo going back and forth between a protein conditioner(AO GPB) and moisture (banana brulee). i also use plenty of leave in and heat protectant and i moisturize and seal 2x daily. if i see breakage i use mizani night treatment and its stopped in its tracks.
also when i blowdry i do so with a wide tooth comb in one hand and the dryer in the other without an attatchment.

ummmmm speak for yourself lol. i blowdry and flat iron once a week and my hair is growing nicely.
what i do to keep t healthy is use protein every week. i shampoo with joico k pak, do the deep penetrating reconstructor once every 2 weeks, and the hydrator once a week. i also pre poo going back and forth between a protein conditioner(AO GPB) and moisture (banana brulee). i also use plenty of leave in and heat protectant and i moisturize and seal 2x daily. if i see breakage i use mizani night treatment and its stopped in its tracks.
also when i blowdry i do so with a wide tooth comb in one hand and the dryer in the other without an attatchment.

:yep::yep::yep:

Ok this may be long but here goes. When I was permed I flat ironed and blow dried and never got any breakage this was done every 2 weeks. Now I am natural i don't use a blow dryer when i flat ironed late last year i just brushed it out with the goody brush and flat ironed lightly. I used oyin burnt sugar. Initially i was ok with it i wasn't going for the dead straight downed cat look but two days later i noticed my ends were breaking off in bits(not long pieces) whenever i touched it. I didn't comb my hair because when i flat ironed it it looked like it had been blow dried so i couldn't pass a comb through it. I never had a problem with heat so im not sure whats the problem. I used a jilbere tourmaline flat iron on very low. Any suggestions? Oh and as soon as i cowashed that breakage stopped. I have never flat ironed after that and i have not noticed and breakage. Maybe my hair doesn't like heat as a natural? I hope not b/c I wanted to flat iron again but i seriously have to think twice now.

Ok this may be long but here goes. When I was permed I flat ironed and blow dried and never got any breakage this was done every 2 weeks. Now I am natural i don't use a blow dryer when i flat ironed late last year i just brushed it out with the goody brush and flat ironed lightly. I used oyin burnt sugar. Initially i was ok with it i wasn't going for the dead straight downed cat look but two days later i noticed my ends were breaking off in bits(not long pieces) whenever i touched it. I didn't comb my hair because when i flat ironed it it looked like it had been blow dried so i couldn't pass a comb through it. I never had a problem with heat so im not sure whats the problem. I used a jilbere tourmaline flat iron on very low. Any suggestions? Oh and as soon as i cowashed that breakage stopped. I have never flat ironed after that and i have not noticed and breakage. Maybe my hair doesn't like heat as a natural? I hope not b/c I wanted to flat iron again but i seriously have to think twice now.
Your ends must have been very dry , a little extra light oil would probably help just rubbed into your ends

Like you I also notice more breaks on the ends when I flatiron. Last wash I just blowdried and I have been able to manipulate my hair without any pieces on the ends breaking. Hmm!

I swear if I don't know nothin' else about hair care, I know that constant use of thermal appliances were created by satan!!!!!!!!!!! Please ladies, if you are using them on a consistent basis, PLEASE S-T-O-P! I wore kinky twist back to back for a year. I took my hair down and got a relaxer. Beautiful, healthy, shoulder length hair. About a month of "bumping" my hair in the mornings and wash and sets at the salon and now by healthy ends are starting to look straggly and I'm noticing breakage in my hair utensils after usage. Before things get out of hand, I ordered some Jamaican Black Castor Oil and ORS Hair Mayonnaise. I'm going to use the ORS bi-weekly and the JBCO daily. I'll post results later.

Roller wraps for me from now until the day I die.

I've been roller wrapping for at least 5 years or more. But not doing any protective styling so I defeated the purpose. We live and learn. Welcome to the CLUB!!!!!!!

@Faith: That is something to think about because you would think with the blow drier and flat iron that would be the culprit but in your case it helped the situation. I'm too lazy to blow dry im going to attempt to flat iron again and use Irresistible suggestion of using a light oil on the ends. I look back to childhood days and I remember my mom using grease and a blow drier and she would just blow dry my hair no flat iron and no breakage no side effects. Let me tell you my hair had some rough handling back then but it thrived.

Back