The Story Behind my Hair Journey (Pics included)

Lucille

Hi Guys :grin:

The sole purpose of this thread is for me to be informative for once, lol. I'll hardly be cracking any jokes in this post, so no need to break out the GIFs, lol. I'd like to just share my story, and hopefully benefit someone out there because I've benefited so much from reading the stories of others.

Here it goes...

Before I found this forum my hair was at a breaking point. I didn't know how to take care of my real hair properly so wore weaves/lacefronts regularly. But one day when I was sitting at the computer getting ready to purchase some Remy hair. I received an epiphany - I asked myself the following question; ''why can't I just grow my own?'' And the rest was history....

You can skip pass the commentary, and just look at the pics, if you're impatient, lol.

In this first pic I was about 8 yrs old. My hair was doing alright because my mother used to take care of it.

oldschoolpic.jpg

As I was approaching ''womanhood'' my mother told me I needed to start taking care of my own hair. Even though in the pic above my hair is in two puffy ponytails, my mother always kept my hair in plaits 99% of the time. If I knew this was what aided my growth I would have never been so quick to get rid off them, lol.

In the span of two years between the ages of 13 and 15, I went from BSL to SL. My mother would just look at me and say ''Chile... what happened to your hair.'' :nono:

Because I felt I was too old to wear plaits, and didn't think canerows looked nice on me, I opted for the instant solution - weaves. I remember getting my first installation, and being paranoid if people could tell if it was fake. :lol:

Here's how my real hair looked.

You can see how the ends are thinning and my hair was all types of different lengths due to severe breakage

afro2.jpg

And here's me with my weave..

HairJourney2.jpg

I got tired of wearing fake hair, and wanted to start COMPLETELY fresh so BC'ED in Feb 2011.

shawty.jpg

shorthair.jpg

mbl2.jpg

morninghair.jpg

6monthsgrowth.jpg

And here's where I am today

kinkycurly.jpg

It's been about 9 months since I started my hair journey, and I've learnt a lot about curly hair. So thank you ladies for sharing your wisdom :grin:

Here's my regimen:

★ Co-Wash every other day (or every 2days)

★ I use Kinky Curly as a Leave in, and seal with a creamy based Olive Oil. (my hair hates oil in its liquid form)

★ I deep condition once a week with ELASTA QP DP-11

★ I also Shampoo and henna once a week (or every fortnight)

:thatsall:

Last edited:
:congrats: on your BC...Your story is similar to mine, except I was a long-term transitioner...

You'll be back to BSL very soon!!!

Great progress! And you know you look like Stacy Dash! Goodness! Stacy, is that you?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

Thanks eveyone!!

@Janet' - I wish my mom did the same hairstyle as yours, lol. Those pigtails of yours were toooooooo cute!!! Aww

@Mai Tai - LOL, thanks gurl. I'm glad some of you get my sense of humour :lol:

@HauteHippie - Awww thanks hun, lol. I don't think so.. but I'm flattered. I love Stacey Dash :grin:

@Kneechay - Thanks bbe. Yup... I am. :yep: Are you?

Last edited:
Back