The science of preventing relaxer damage by using silk

Cayenne0622 said:
Thanks! I will definitely begin using it again. I put it away when I stopped flat ironing.

Yeah, I'm probably gonna purchase this one day.

Silk is quickly becoming like crack for my hair...

For those of you ordering the silk aminos from lotioncrafter.com: are you planning to use the aminos straight from the bottle on your hair, or do you think they should be mixed with something?

gn1g said:
Biosilk, can you add water to make the molecules small enough to penetrate the hair?

No. A special type of reaction with enzymes and water is done to hydrolyze molecules. Just adding water is not enough to catalyze the reaction in a product that has already been manufactured (like Biosilk). Once again, I made something sound too simple in my efforts to quickly give people a layman's term idea of what "hydrolyzed" means.

Last edited:
navsegda said:
OMG I LOVE JOICO!

*drools*

Yup, I'm gonna check this out.

They look promising. I heard great things about the other day. I saw a lady with relaxed honey blond hair that was pretty long. I asked her what she used and she told me about the joico. We ended up having a conversation about silk protien and I told her about the Chi silk stuff. We were in walgreens and they had the chi stuff so she ended up buying the silk protectant. I promised her I would look into the joico stuff.

gymfreak336 said:
They look promising. I heard great things about the other day. I saw a lady with relaxed honey blond hair that was pretty long. I asked her what she used and she told me about the joico. We ended up having a conversation about silk protien and I told her about the Chi silk stuff. We were in walgreens and they had the chi stuff so she ended up buying the silk protectant. I promised her I would look into the joico stuff.

I really like the JOICO reconstructors and the leave-in protectant (the foam). I wanna try some of the other stuff as well.

I had no idea that Walgreens carried CHI. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Look, this thread has reached 100 posts! Yay!

navsegda said:
I really like the JOICO reconstructors and the leave-in protectant (the foam). I wanna try some of the other stuff as well.

I've seen CHI products at Kroger, as well. Not sure if they carry the Silk Infusion line, though....I know they also sell some Joico products too.

preciousjewel76 said:
I've seen CHI products at Kroger, as well. Not sure if they carry the Silk Infusion line, though....I know they also sell some Joico products too.

Grocery stores are going to out trade secrets out of business:lol:

navsegda said:

I have used K-pac before. I was looking into the leave-in foam you were talking about. I also wanted to try the thermal foam for roller sets. They explain the science behind their products very well.

gymfreak336 said:
I have used K-pac before. I was looking into the leave-in foam you were talking about. I also wanted to try the thermal foam for roller sets. They explain the science behind their products very well.

I know, right? That's very hot. Science is secksee.

Um...I mean, that's very informative. *runs out of thread*

preciousjewel76 said:
For those of you ordering the silk aminos from lotioncrafter.com: are you planning to use the aminos straight from the bottle on your hair, or do you think they should be mixed with something?

My intention was to infuse it into poos, & condishes, but I found a great Shiseido poo& con w/ tsubaki (camellia) oil & silk aminos in it already (& reasonably priced!). My hair LOVES it & it makes my hair so soft & bouncy!

So the silk aminos were just sitting around w/nothing to do! Now with this info, I put what I had in a small spray bottle to apply directly to the NG b4 my retouch- worked PERFECTLY!

So now I will keep some around just for retouches.

navsegda said:

Yep, it looks like Farouk has diverted their CHI product line. Trade secret and JC Penney salons won't be happy!

Last edited:
Navs,

Thank you for the wonderful information! This process should be exceptional for correctives right? Sorry if this was mentioned in the thread before - I may have overlooked it. TIA

MoMo said:
Navs,

Thank you for the wonderful information! This process should be exceptional for correctives right? Sorry if this was mentioned in the thread before - I may have overlooked it. TIA

Yes, especially then. :) The more frequently hair is relaxed between intervals the more protection it needs.

I bought the silk animo acid from Lotioncrafters.com and mixed some in my conditioner on Saturday. I could not believe how soft and silky my hair was! This is definitely a keeper for me!

hey nav

what about this product from Blended Beauty for a heat protectant:

"Straightening Glaze uses beantree instead of silicone to provide slip, shine and detangling with this lightweight product.

A conditioning, setting spritz with beantree for blow-drying, ironing or roller setting. Lightweight for best results and free of silicones. Detangles and softens without an oily feelng, while making straighening easy and quick. Aloe and chamomile waters soothe the scalp while added conditioners soften each strand.

Ingredients: Aloe Juice, Chamomile water, Beantree, Polysorbate 20, sunflower oil, BPG TMC (conditioner), BTMS-50 (conditioner), fragrance, Germall Plus (preservative) "

VinDieselsWifey said:
hey nav

what about this product for a heat protectant:

"Straightening Glaze uses beantree instead of silicone to provide slip, shine and detangling with this lightweight product.

A conditioning, setting spritz with beantree for blow-drying, ironing or roller setting. Lightweight for best results and free of silicones. Detangles and softens without an oily feelng, while making straighening easy and quick. Aloe and chamomile waters soothe the scalp while added conditioners soften each strand.

Ingredients: Aloe Juice, Chamomile water, Beantree, Polysorbate 20, sunflower oil, BPG TMC (conditioner), BTMS-50 (conditioner), fragrance, Germall Plus (preservative) "

Well, nothing is going to protect the hair like silicones or silk, so I think it would be good for doing what it says (detangling and adding shine), but I don't think it would be a good heat protectant at all.

Ok-

I'm not coming in here any more, but b4 I go-

this is an updated pic in my siggy after relaxing w/silk & using Chi Silk Infusion.:Flahsssss

My hair was soft, had swing, no dryness at all ALL WEEK!!! I didn't even apply CHI SI everyday! :yep: This combo is certainly a WINNER!!

I am so tickled!:bouncegre

Thanx again, NAVS!!!:clap:

AKA-Tude said:
Ok-

I'm not coming in here any more, but b4 I go-

this is an updated pic in my siggy after relaxing w/silk & using Chi Silk Infusion.:Flahsssss

My hair was soft, had swing, no dryness at all ALL WEEK!!! I didn't even apply CHI SI everyday! :yep: This combo is certainly a WINNER!!

I am so tickled!:bouncegre

Thanx again, NAVS!!!:clap:

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! Your hair really does look great! And I absolutely love the color! :)

I just finished reading the whole thread...this website has not helped my insomnia.

This seems very interesting. I should be relaxing at the end of the month and I will probably purchase the straight up silk protein for the website mentioned in this thread. Although, I do really want to try the CHI stuff...who knows..

Question: How much time before relaxing do you apply it?

AlexB7 said:
I just finished reading the whole thread...this website has not helped my insomnia.

This seems very interesting. I should be relaxing at the end of the month and I will probably purchase the straight up silk protein for the website mentioned in this thread. Although, I do really want to try the CHI stuff...who knows..

Question: How much time before relaxing do you apply it?
I still need to get the silk amino acids. Everytime I look at the site it's like they are calling me...calling me...

Anyway...

When I used the Silk Infusion, I applied it just a few minutes before relaxing. I didn't have to wait for it to dry since it wasn't wet like a conditioner, so that was also a plus.

Back