The Salt Covenant

BabeinChrist

Can anyone explain the Salt Covenant? I witnessed a wedding where the bride and groom each held bags of salt during one part of the ceremony. They dipped their hands into their respective bags and scooped the salt out and poured it into the other person's bag. I have never seen this done before. I'm sure many of you can point me to the appropriate scriptures or provide insight--I'm definitely curious to know.

I'm not sure exactly but I am thinking that is would be the same concerpt as the lighting of the candles being that you were separate but now you are one.

BabeinChrist said:
Can anyone explain the Salt Covenant? I witnessed a wedding where the bride and groom each held bags of salt during one part of the ceremony. They dipped their hands into their respective bags and scooped the salt out and poured it into the other person's bag. I have never seen this done before. I'm sure many of you can point me to the appropriate scriptures or provide insight--I'm definitely curious to know.

I have an idea, but please wait until someone with more details can contribute....

I understand the process of the salt covenant to mean that just as it would be difficult (impossible) to separate the salt mixed salt by two individuals, that's the metaphor/symbolism of the covenant, which I understand not only applies to the marriage relationship, but also with friends, i.e. David and Jonathan. I'm not saying that they did such a covenant, but the similar principle.

I haven't seen or heard of this specifically but it sounds similar to the Sand Ceremony that has been popular over the past few years. (And, if the Salt Covenant is biblical based I'm guessing that the Sand Ceremony is an off-shoot).

The Sand Ceremony is pretty simple. Usually done with 2 containers of colored sand - bride and groom pour layers of their sand into a third decorative container. And sometimes the top layers are stirred / mixed to blend them together. The meaning behind it is supposed to symbolize the two becoming one - and like the blended sand, once they're married its impossible to seperate them again.

I know I've seen some poems etc somewhere. I'll try to find them. Maybe they'll point you in the direction of the actual Salt Coventant.

This is interesting, I have never heard of it being used in the context of a wedding. But the above poster is correct. It used to be used by business people (rich ones because salt was expensive back then) to represent a binding covenant. You can't separate the grains so the convenant can't be broken. You are one in business.

This was a part of Juanita Bynum's wedding. That was the first time I had seen or heard about it.

Thanks for your responses. I think the symbolism is beautiful and I guess I should have been able to figure it out by myself. Laginappe, I didn't realize there was a trend with using sand in wedding ceremonies either. I've been to a number of weddings in the last few years and have never come across it.

Back