The return of the Shamboo

• Thread starter Thread starter HoneyRockette
  • Start date Start date
H

HoneyRockette

I am still not done reading Shamboosie's book, but so far it is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. So according to Shamboosie, all damage to textured hair is attributed to no lye relaxers and the only way to fix the damage is to follow his 24 month plan using Nexxuss Humectress? Am I right? What if you have never used a no lye relaxer? Then what? Perhaps the question will be answered later on in the book. Going back to reading now.

Honeyrockette,
I finished the book and it was okay. I have read quite a few hair books and I can say I like Carolyn Gray the best, she suggests methods, styling, and products that may work well on hair and something u and I can do ourselves. Shamboo, Andre, and other professionals give you a LIMITED amount of their professional knowledge concerning styling, relaxing, and coloring and they all ADVOCATE heat!
What I want from a hair book is an explanation of products, hair structure, protective styles, and styling with minimal damage. None of the hair books I have ever read give you that and Carolyn Gray's is the closest. Shamboo was okay but he believes and that no lye (if u use lye then he gives no explanation concerning hair damage) causes all damage and that heat and blow drying are okay as long as u use Nexxus and Dudley's Creme and Press. The best point I got from him is putting a smaller amount of product on my hair and product consistency.
I have cut out heat completely my hair has grown-I think that is the non-professional's worst enemy.
I REFUSE to buy any hair books anymore (but I will check them out from the library) because they all say the same thing....much of nothing. But he does have some points I like and he actually lists some ingredients that may be good in a product. Why they are good he doesnt explain....adding to the disappointment of the incomplete Black/African American hair care (or any hair care information for that matter) information that is out there!

Just in case, you're interested NayNay...Carolyn has been posting over at the Relaxed Hair Care Club and Black Hair Care and Body over on Yahoo recently.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
all damage to textured hair is attributed to no lye relaxers

[/ QUOTE ]

Eventhough he attributes damaged hair to no lye relaxers, I have a couple of friends that used the Gentle Treatment relaxer and had had wonderful results. One girl's hair is to her butt and she relaxes every four months. She said the key to keeping her hair from drying was to use oil.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
the only way to fix the damage is to follow his 24 month plan using Nexxuss Humectress? Am I right?

[/ QUOTE ]

He may say that, but I have personally seen many conditioners that are a lot better than that Nexxus Humectress. I used it when I was relaxed and it may my hair very dry.

I read this book and liked it. Someone said they wanted more extensive info about products colors etc. - I just wanted to mention that whatever you wanted to know about color AT ALL is in chapter 8 of this book. I learned so much from it.

I agree that he's a bit narrow minded when it comes to products. I do recall members have emailed him their products and that there were other products he seemed to be ok with. I also agree that he doesn't go into enough detail about other cuases of damage as well - but I did understand after finishing the book that to the extent lye realxers cause damage to the hair he believes that applying realxers at home on your own (with a freind is ok) and choosing an inexperienced stylist are the primary causes of damage if the correct realxer types are beign used. He also talks about hair being pulled too tightly in braid styles being an issue causing baldness. Coloring damage is also mentioned.

It's better to finish reading, I think, before you formulate an opinion. it may still be the same opinion - but you can't be sure it's a fair one until you finish the book. Feel me?

For instance I liked the book overall but I disagreed with a lot of his suggestions and overall felt the writing was at times unclear. I did NOT agree with the idea of applying a lye relaxer to hair already relaxed with a no lye relaxer. I do not agree that you can use heat everyday and have long healthy hair.

But I think you should finish. You might find the answers to the questions you're looking for.

Hi BronxDiva,

When I was relaxed, I used many of the Nexxus Shampoos and conditioners and the shampoos left my scalp real flakey. The only tried and true thing that I use by Nexxus is the Botanical Oil when I press my hair. I personally thought Redkin Hair products were better than Nexxus.

i'm confused? if you see the signs of using the no lye that he mentioned wouldnt it be wise to switch to lye. seeing as when you relax your hair you are just relaxing the new growth what difference would it make? everything he said about how the hair is after a no lye relaxer related to me and so far i have been using humectress and have found it to work quite well for me so maybe to each his own i presume.i will be trying motions moisturizing relaxer with the conditioner first then the neutralizer because i have heard nothing but good things about this line and this relaxer and the place i plan to get it done at (mirror image) make sure they base the scalp and not to overlap. so i plan to try the lye relaxer because no lye may be the reason for all the problems i have been having with my hair.God bless you all.

Back