The Proper Way to put Dry Hair into a BUN?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Right now, I am almost 18 weeks post relaxer and I'm transitioning to natural (about 60-80 weeks to go until I chop off the relaxed ends!). I rollersetted my hair last Tuesday. Right now, my roots are drier than the rest of my hair and I have a lot of oil in my hair. I also have layers and bangs. I want to put my hair in a bun until I wash it this weekend...

1. How should I go about putting in a bun the proper way??? I'm mainly talking about smoothing my edges and maybe making a side part. I plan on putting the ends of my hair into a synthetic hair scrunchie bun.
2. Would I need just a moisturizer and gel? water? If not, what product(s) should I use to achieve a nice, smooth bun? Do I need a brush and/or comb???
3. How can I keep my bangs and shorter layers of my hair laid flat/smooth???

I had more questions in mind but can't think of them right now... Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. ;)

Poohbear:

When I'm more than 8 weeks post touch up wearing abun becomes a challenge. I'll tell you what I do:

- I wash and conditioner that gives me LOTS of slip.
- I detangle with Pantene Light Detangle Spray
- I make a ponytail with a elastic soaked in olive oil
- I use coconut oil with a little castor oil and smooth along my hair line. I may use a soft bristled brush to coax my new growth to lay down.
- I twist my hair into the bun, securring with 2 good hair day pins.
- I tie a satin scarf over my hair and leave it on overnight.
- In the morning I smoothe a little NTM Healing Shine Serum over my hair and go.

The satin scarf helps my hair stay flat and kinda wavy. The castor oil is a little heavy but if you do this while your hair is still kind of damp it will absorb most of it.

HTH

Back