The press transition

soslychic

Has anyone simply pressed there hair when they are transitioning. I've heard of wearing braids, or keeping your hair up in a bun, or doing the big chop, but I've never heard of anyone pressing their hair until it reached the amount of new growth where they could chop off the rest? Would this be damaging if I did this once a week (I'm assuming the press would last the weekend and the rest of the week, I can just where my hair up?) I'm wondering if this would be a good solution once my hair got to the point that I coul dno longer wear it curly because of the 2 textures.

It's best to use a flat iron instead of a pressing comb if you are still in transition.

I don't think its a good idea to flat iron everyday though-maybe once or twice a week. It depends on your lifestyle..and how you choose to wear your hair.

if you go that route i suggest pressing only every 2 weeks if u dont mind not washing that long. because tooo much heat will destroy your curl pattern over time and some strands will remain strait. i transitioned with a press but if i had to do it over again i wouldnt.

[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:
I don't think its a good idea to flat iron everyday though-maybe once or twice a week. It depends on your lifestyle..and how you choose to wear your hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no way, I wasn't gonna flat iron everyday That would definetly be too much
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
babyblue said:
if you go that route i suggest pressing only every 2 weeks if u dont mind not washing that long. because tooo much heat will destroy your curl pattern over time and some strands will remain strait. i transitioned with a press but if i had to do it over again i wouldnt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once every 2 weeks? Yikes! I don't think I'd be able to do that
frown.gif
Maybe I can alternate between straw sets and presses. Maybe the straw sets will cause the 2 textures to appear similiar.

I've transitioned several times in my life and every time it was by pressing my new growth. The last time was by using a flatiron and the other time was with pressing combs. If you can go two weeks that is best but I would flatiron my hair once a week the last time I transitioned. I also wored braids or slicked back my hair in a bun.

I have personally done this, I used a small flat iron, and would only really straighten the unrelaxed sections, it worked out fine for me, my hair was healthier, longer and thicker than with a relaxer, I beleive once every two weeks is ok, natural hair is much stronger

[ QUOTE ]
soslychic said:
[ QUOTE ]
babyblue said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Once every 2 weeks? Yikes! I don't think I'd be able to do that
frown.gif
Maybe I can alternate between straw sets and presses. Maybe the straw sets will cause the 2 textures to appear similiar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea. I wouldn't recommend pressing more often than that.
I made that mistake, and broke off some of my hair as a result (I did it like every 2 days or basically, whenever it frizzed up)

When I transitioned I got my hair pressed every 2 weeks. My hair was gorgepous healthy and thick then. This is the method I am gonna use this time in combination with braids and curly styles. I like to switch it up.

My best friend told me that pressing frequently will change the natural texture. When I press, it seems to be every 2 or 3 months (depending on what other protective style I am wearing), and it is usually out of necessity.

Oooh so thats what i need is a SMALLER flat iron. U use the stove kind Zgirl? I have a big one and pressing combs(electrical and stove). I used curlwax(the kind that is red and thick) and it did well w/my hair. i didnt have to flat iron all my hair, i was able to easily smooth it back to put in2 ponytail :^D. I'm glad some1 asked this cause i was wondering.

Now how about after u wash your hair, u press and flat iron the hair to get it smoothed out in a day that is, and then after that once a week or so u just flat iron to smooth out a bit?

Back