The ponytail: a protective style? Or a cause of breakage?

kaytorry

Is wearing your hair in a ponytail everyday, while transitioning a protective style or a one way ticket to breakage ?

I am natural so maybe I shouldn't comment lol but I would say it would depend on what you are using to make the ponytail, like an ochless pony-o or a banana clip? Also how tight are you making the ponytail would factor in as well. I try to keep mine fairly loose maybe 2 times around with the pony-o or just use a banana clip :)

I used a phony pony as a PS. I would slick my hair back, moisturized MY hair and seal, and baggy, then I would used a textured pony and style that in a messy bun.

Using your hair overtime may cause breakage. It's almost like anything in life you never really want to overdo it...

It really depends. I use a Goody ouchless band (not metal) and only never wrap it around my hair more than the one time to put it on. It could be the thickness of my hair, but I would not be able to twist it, especially on dry hair.

My ponytails, buns, puffs, etc are never tight. If I want to hold my edges back more, I use raw shea butter or a light gel to keep them in place and/or maybe a headband instead of tightening my hair.

I think breakage comes from doing the ponytail or bun in the same place day in and day out. If you alternate from low ponytail, mid, to high ponytail you can avoid breakage. imo

I think breakage comes from doing the ponytail or bun in the same place day in and day out. If you alternate from low ponytail, mid, to high ponytail you can avoid breakage. imo

Geeze, I never knew that. I do alternate from low to high (thankfully I have that option), but didn't know that was a requirement to avoid breakage.

Sometimes I do dip my ponytail holders in oil to avoid snags and that does help with that issue....

It is crucially important to vary up the location of where you make the pony. Forget about doing it too tight either as that can be disastrous - not good for the hairline for some folks.

A protective style is a style that protects your ends. Unless you're wearing a phony pony over your real hair, a ponytail is not a protective style. :yep:

But you CAN wear ponytails and not suffer from breakage because of it. It all depends on the products you use and what you choose to tie your hair back with.

A protective style is a style that protects your ends. Unless you're wearing a phony pony over your real hair, a ponytail is not a protective style. :yep:

But you CAN wear ponytails and not suffer from breakage because of it. It all depends on the products you use and what you choose to tie your hair back with.

It depends.

A high ponytail keeps my hair off my shoulders, clothing, seatbelts, purse straps, car head rest, etc so it can be a semi PS. But yes, my ends are still showing so I wear buns most of the time.

Most likely you will get breakage whenever you do a style repeatedly. Especially a ponytail. You could mitigate that by changing it's position on your head and using gentle tools to achieve the style. If you wear banana clips everyday, you will have bre akage. If it's a ponytail everyday w elastic that will do it too. I wear ptails all the tome, and have to te myself to switch it up. I try to alternate them with clipped up styles, and buns w pins.

Sent from my Fancy iPhone using LHCF. Please excuse the typos.

Geeze, I never knew that. I do alternate from low to high (thankfully I have that option), but didn't know that was a requirement to avoid breakage.

Sometimes I do dip my ponytail holders in oil to avoid snags and that does help with that issue....

Going to try that!

Almost my entire transition (a good 9 months of it, I transitioned for a year) I wore my hair in a bun lol My hair looked stupid when I would try anything else and I was just soooooooo frustrated and was considering going back to relaxers. Saw a youtube vid of someone who transitioned wearing a bun and I just went for it. I deep conditioned once a week (alternating between moisturizing dc and protien treatments), moisturized and used shea butter to seal every day. Didn't pin it up too tight and used ouchless hair ties. My hair was fine, didn't notice any excessive shedding around the area I would tie my hair. My transition was pretty easy actually. I was pleasantly surprised haha

I'm surprised no one mentioned satin/silk ponytail holders. I use those along with shifting my buns around (funny, sounds like dancing-lol) to minimize potential damage, but like someone said up thread, everything in moderation.

I have been bunning almost daily for the last year, and have had no sign breakage around the area of the ponytail holder. In fact the top part of my hair was damaged and short and its growing out very nicely. I use the elastic band of wig caps and knee highs to make my ponytail holders, just cut it off and you're ready to roll. ZERO snags :yep:

ETA: I'm also transitioning, 10 months post.

Last edited:
I have fine hair, and I wear ponytails all the time because I bun all the time, except on the weekends. I have not noticed any excessive breakage from constantly doing this and I have to admit I have been bunning like crazy for a year and a couple months. If anything my hair has grown a lot and every week I am amazed at the length of my ponytail compared to when I first started bunning because its getting longer and longer, but I do take good care of my hair too.

I think it depends on the tightness and tension you maybe putting on that area. I think too much tension can lead to breakage over time.

@greenandchic, I do this too I keep a ziplock bag with oil and put all of my ponytail holders in the bag.:yep:

Depends on how you wear it. If you use an ouchless band, scrunchie and have it done firm but not tightly and do something so your ends aren't rubbing on stuff you should be fine.

All I have ever worn was ponytails from middle school on to where I am now. The only time I ever got breakage was this one time I bought some new ponytail holders. They did not have the metal piece on it but it was soooo new and unstretched that it was around my hair so tightly. I never paid any attention but ouchless bands come on that cardboard that kinda stretches them out a little. This one did not so its elasticity was nonexistent. :nono:

From my experience :look: the band used and how tight it is around the hair is what will cause breakage, not the placement of the bun.

I only like my bun placement in one spot on my head and since I've stopped pinning a phony bun to my head my hair is recovering fine from the breakage I had last year.

I use a cut off stocking to hold my bun, twist the hair around and put a scrunchie around the outside to hold it in place. I do want to get a pair of real silk stockings though.

I'm surprised no one mentioned satin/silk ponytail holders. I use those along with shifting my buns around (funny, sounds like dancing-lol) to minimize potential damage, but like someone said up thread, everything in moderation.

Do you know where I can get those? I've never seen it in the stores. I have used satin scarves to tie my hair up though.

@greenandchic, I do this too I keep a ziplock bag with oil and put all of my ponytail holders in the bag.:yep:

Great idea!

I am one of the few that find putting my hair in a pony does more damage than it's worth.

Back