The Official Broke College Students Thread

I need to be a good girl and keep my product spending at a minimum. I can't fathom spending more on hair care products than I do on books. So I thought I'd start a thread where all the broke college students could share money-saving ideas and reviews on cheapie products. This thread is open to anyone who's looking to save money, but the first thing that came to mind when I thought "broke" was, of course, college students. Not sure where this thread might go, but hopefully this could become a reference guide. So here's the one rule

NO EXPENSIVE PRODUCTS ALLOWED!

I'm not setting a price since some products are just more expensive than others. For example, a $30 flat iron might be considered affordable, but a $30 conditioner will send me to the poor house.

Right now I'll state my issue. When I first joined this board I went crazy product wise and ended up with a lot of products that didn't work for me. Now that I have a general idea what will work for me, I've decided to try to use up all the products I have now by Aug 20th so I can buy all new products right before school starts. I'm going to set a budget, but first I just need info on good products.

My main issue is finding a good deep conditioner. Right now on the list is Cholesterol since it tends to be cheap. I need some more ideas though. I found myself searching for reviews on cheap brands like Suave and V05, but I see many ladies use these conditioners for co-washes, and I need a cheap conditioner that I could use as a deep conditioner that will still work well on my hair.

I'm also considering investing in large quantity products. Like 32 oz and up. So I'm looking for affordable products that I can buy in large quantities.

Lastly I'm looking for cheap versions of these...

1. A product to help with shedding, I heard garlic products are good.
2. Something to help with hair porosity.
3. A good clarifier.
4. A good leave in
5. An affordable light protein conditioner for breakage control

Supposedly Sally's is a broke college student's dream come true, but I haven't been there in a long time, so what products should I be on the lookout for when I go there??

Thanks in advance!!!:)

I need to be a good girl and keep my product spending at a minimum. I can't fathom spending more on hair care products than I do on books. So I thought I'd start a thread where all the broke college students could share money-saving ideas and reviews on cheapie products. This thread is open to anyone who's looking to save money, but the first thing that came to mind when I thought "broke" was, of course, college students. Not sure where this thread might go, but hopefully this could become a reference guide. So here's the one rule

I'm not setting a price since some products are just more expensive than others. For example, a $30 flat iron might be considered affordable, but a $30 conditioner will send me to the poor house.

Right now I'll state my issue. When I first joined this board I went crazy product wise and ended up with a lot of products that didn't work for me. Now that I have a general idea what will work for me, I've decided to try to use up all the products I have now by Aug 20th so I can buy all new products right before school starts. I'm going to set a budget, but first I just need info on good products.

My main issue is finding a good deep conditioner. Elasta QP DPR-11 is great. Its like $6 at the BSS. It will last you a while. Right now on the list is Cholesterol since it tends to be cheap. I need some more ideas though. I found myself searching for reviews on cheap brands like Suave and V05, but I see many ladies use these conditioners for co-washes, and I need a cheap conditioner that I could use as a deep conditioner that will still work well on my hair. Personally, I think any conditioner can work as a deep cond.

I'm also considering investing in large quantity products. Like 32 oz and up. So I'm looking for affordable products that I can buy in large quantities.

See number 5. This has helped me out in the past.
2. Something to help with hair porosity. Not sure about this one. (sorry!)
3. A good clarifier.
(baking soda and warm water- works like a charm everytime!

4. A good leave in.
I use water and honey. Dilute the honey well or youll have hard hair!
Generic Sebastian Potion #9

Supposedly Sally's is a broke college student's dream come true, but I haven't been there in a long time, so what products should I be on the lookout for when I go there?? All the generic stuff! Thats where I hang out and that stuff works just as well as the name brand.

Thanks in advance!!!:) HTH!!

Clarifier- suave professionals clarifyer comparable to the one from rusk, I 4got who recommended this but it is good
leave-in- silk elements get it at sally's great for detangling too
Light protein- I would say ors hair mayo or silk elements revive and restore hair mayo.
porosity- they have the small sample thing of roux porosity control at sally's too, and I have seen a porosity conditioner by con at the bss too.

I go into sally's and just browse the isles and then go back and fill up my cart, I dont worry too much because I know I can return anything. I also have developed a friendship with my sally's lady and she hooks me up with the sally card discount even though I dont have one, she says I remind her of her neice she is so sweet.

I am in college too got three semesters left and am workin on a budget thanks to some info givin to me by a great lady on another board so I know how it is. Sally's is my bff.

naturallady said:
My main issue is finding a good deep conditioner. Elasta QP DPR-11 is great. Its like $6 at the BSS. It will last you a while. Right now on the list is Cholesterol since it tends to be cheap. I need some more ideas though. I found myself searching for reviews on cheap brands like Suave and V05, but I see many ladies use these conditioners for co-washes, and I need a cheap conditioner that I could use as a deep conditioner that will still work well on my hair. Personally, I think any conditioner can work as a deep cond.

See number 5. This has helped me out in the past.
2. Something to help with hair porosity. Not sure about this one. (sorry!)
3. A good clarifier.
(baking soda and warm water- works like a charm everytime!

4. A good leave in.
I use water and honey. Dilute the honey well or youll have hard hair!
Generic Sebastian Potion #9

Supposedly Sally's is a broke college student's dream come true, but I haven't been there in a long time, so what products should I be on the lookout for when I go there?? All the generic stuff! Thats where I hang out and that stuff works just as well as the name brand.

Thanks in advance!!!:) HTH!!

Thanks so much, I'll definitely be on the lookout for these!

sassyhair said:
Clarifier- suave professionals clarifyer comparable to the one from rusk, I 4got who recommended this but it is good
leave-in- silk elements get it at sally's great for detangling too
Light protein- I would say ors hair mayo or silk elements revive and restore hair mayo.
porosity- they have the small sample thing of roux porosity control at sally's too, and I have seen a porosity conditioner by con at the bss too.

Thanks! I've seen the CON porosity conditioner at ebonyline.com. I might try it or see if there is a review of it somewhere.

http://www.ebonyline.com/con9790.html

32 oz for 10.99! Not bad at all!

Please, if you get the Sebastion #9 use it lightly. That sucka works so good till if you use too much you'll have bricks sittin on top of your head! It happened to me! My hair was hard as a ROCK!! It works great used in moderation. Less is definatly more!

ORS Carrot Oil

Roux Porosity Control

3. A good clarifier.
Suave Daily Clarifying or any neutralizing shampoo. ORS Creamy Aloe, Motions, and Isoplus are some good ones.

4. A good leave in
Garnier Long and Strong Treatment

ORS Replenishing Pak

Supposedly Sally's is a broke college student's dream come true, but I haven't been there in a long time, so what products should I be on the lookout for when I go there??

This is true, IMO. Invest in a frequent buyers card. It's $5 and it's good for a year, but trust me, it will pay for itself. The product lines that I like at this store are Silk Elements and Ion. Most of the products can be bought in sample sizes before you buy the bottles. The samples usually cost no more $1.50.

Sally also has a good selection of appliances, but the initial investment might seem like a lot. I say wait until they go on sale or they offer a coupon. I bought a Jilbere blow dryer from them that normally costs $25, but with my discount card and the sale, I only paid $11 for it. They also make good heating caps. I say definitely get one of those, and some plastic caps, that way you can make any conditioner a deep conditioner without buying an extra product.

HTH

RedRiot, I had originally planned to do the same (use up all current products now and buy brand new ones before school starts), but I've now found products that do work for me, even though they may not all be cheap. I have the Elucence MB Shampoo & Conditioner, and while they aren't a 10/10, they get the job done. I find that I use up more conditioner than shampoo, so I went to the beauty supply (a legit one owned by black stylists) and bought another thing of MB Conditioner in the liter size. I figured that my shampoo/conditioner should last me the entire semester and maybe even more. The liter sized of Elucence Shampoos are only around $10 where I get them, and the liter Conditioner is about $16. I'll try to recommend some cheaper alternatives that I believe might work.

I don't have anything to help with shedding; I can't seem to find that Queen Helene Garlic Shampoo anywhere.

The only thing that I can think of is Porosity Control at Sally's

3. A good clarifier.
Hmm, Suave and Thermasilk have cheap clarifying shampoos that I've used before. I liked them and they got the job done, but they were quite stripping. I then wanted something that not only clarifies, but removes mineral deposits also...I've since found Redken's Hair Cleansing Cream and Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo. I don't know of any cheaper alternative that does both clarifying and removing mineral deposits...maybe I'll run across something one day. Oh wait I forgot, check Sally's ION Hard Water Shampoo!!! I've never tried it, but it should be for clarifying and removing mineral deposits. Oh, and ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo now is good for removing calcium build-up.

4. A good leave in
Rusk Sensories Smoother for only $9.95 at Trade Secrets or NTM Silk Touch for around $6, depending on where you buy it.

ORS Mayo or Sally's ION Reconstructor, they both are great.

ETA: Excuse my mistake, but I previously used the ION Effective Care Intensive Therapy Solution, not the Reconstructor. All of the conditioners come in those 16oz pump bottles and I just got them confused.

Last edited:
how about we step this broke student thing up another notch and turn it into a swap and save thing too? like if i have something that i bought that doesn't work for me i can list it and swap for somethign else. how does that sound?

a good cheap clarifier is V05 Kiwi and Lime shampoo. its cheap and good. one shampoo and all the shea butter,glaze, and gel are out of my hair.

Brownshugaz said:
how about we step this broke student thing up another notch and turn it into a swap and save thing too? like if i have something that i bought that doesn't work for me i can list it and swap for somethign else. how does that sound?

That's a good idea.

Somewhat OT: Man, I don't know why I didn't repurchase the Sally's ION shampoo/conditioner for moisture. I know that the reconstructor was some good stuff, and it made my hair soft too. When I'm done with the Elucence, I might go back to ION.

If you are looking for a good product I suggest MNT. It keeps my hair soft and the conditioner can be used as a leave in. I am natural so i need anything can help to detangle my hair and also leave it soft. It really has cut down on how many strands that i lose on wash day. It is a great product. I think it will help with shedding. A 32 oz. bottle cost $7 dollars and a regular size bottle cost about $4.

Hairtype : 4a/b

I'm no longer a college student, BUT I wanted to tell you that the CHEAPEST clarifying rinse I've used is Apple Cider Vinegar.:) I mix with water and rinse my hair to clarify. Balisi (hair stylist and LHCF member) recommended it to me and it works wonders. Of course you can get ACV from the grocery store for a couple of bucks for the big bottle. I follow my ACV rinse with regular shampoo or a mosterizing shampoo.

Good Luck!

ETA: I've heard Motions is a good line of products that are inexpensive.

i second the MNT. I got some conditioner at a swap and i bought the detangler at sally's i love both of them. my mother used to use it when i was younger. i don't even know why i stopped. back to basics!

the PJ is coming out of me, I'm so tempted to go to Sally's and get my ION....you know, while I can, because I may be too broke to get it all a few months from now....yeah...that's my excuse :)

TSUprincess04 said:
the PJ is coming out of me, I'm so tempted to go to Sally's and get my ION....you know, while I can, because I may be too broke to get it all a few months from now....yeah...that's my excuse :)

They are selling the big bottles with the pump 2 for $10. I'm going to get me some next week.

FAMUDva said:
I'm no longer a college student, BUT I wanted to tell you that the CHEAPEST clarifying rinse I've used is Apple Cider Vinegar.:) I mix with water and rinse my hair to clarify. Balisi (hair stylist and LHCF member) recommended it to me and it works wonders. Of course you can get ACV from the grocery store for a couple of bucks for the big bottle. I follow my ACV rinse with regular shampoo or a mosterizing shampoo.

Good Luck!

ETA: I've heard Motions is a good line of products that are inexpensive.

I second the ACV. Very cheap and it's great. I will be a broke student once more this fall, but there are two things that I have to make sure I budget for and that's my hair and food! :lachen: Anywhere I can skimp I will try, but I'm not willing to undo my progress. Paul Mitchell stuff isn't too expensive. Dominican products (if you live in an area that sells the stuff) isn't expensive either.

Brownshugaz said:

That's a good idea!

I'm liking the suggestions! I'm going to try that ION brand from Sally's. Can't beat the price!

TSUprincess, do you go to the Sally's in Memphis? If so, which one?

As a broke college student myself, i know what you're going through. i'm lucky that i live at home and my mom buys some of my nexxus for me. as for cheapie lines, i tried cream of nature (with the purple tops) and i liked them. or you could try the generic brands at Sally's. i hear they're as good as the real ones. good luck and let us know how it's going.

I say look regularly for coupons in the sunday paper (if it hasnt been mentioned)...I added up my expenses so far and I have saved about 40 bucks eaily when using coupons. Also getting the larger sized containers of Suave and VO5 cpnditoners instead of buying the smaller .96 cent bottles helped too. You get double the amount for 50 cents less :yep:

redRiot said:
That's a good idea!

I'm liking the suggestions! I'm going to try that ION brand from Sally's. Can't beat the price!

TSUprincess, do you go to the Sally's in Memphis? If so, which one?

Girl, I hit up just about all of 'em. I mainly go to the one that's near my home on Austin Peay. The other ones I go to (if I'm in that area) are: the one out by Wolfchase next to Home Depot, the one on Bartlett Blvd next to Kroger's, and the one on Park Ave. in the Eastgate Shopping Center.

Today during my lunch break I went to the Sally's in Eastgate and they had a special with the ION 16oz pump conditioners, 2/$10 (originally $8.99 each). I bought the 16oz Effective Care Treatment and the 16oz Moisturizing Treatment, both for $10, and I bought the Moisturizing Shampoo for like $4 and some change. I like the ingredients in both the shampoo and moisturizing treatment.

I also finally got a Sally's card for $5. While checking out, I realized how much I shop there, so I went ahead and got a card for future savings.

Ok, I tried washing with the Ion products when I got home from work and they just didn't work for me anymore. The shampoo was fine, but that Moisture Treatment was icky. It left my hair in tangles; that was my first time trying it. Since that left my hair a mess, I went to the Effective Care Therapy Treatment for putting real moisture back into my hair since the Moisture Treatment didn't work...my hair still felt the same. I re-washed with the shampoo and applied the Effective Care Therapy Treatment. I remember how it used to work like a charm on my hair several months ago, but this time it didn't do too much to my hair. I took all 3 products back to Sally's. I ended up getting Mane N Tail's Shampoo and Conditioner...they weren't moisturizing enough either. Next, I reached into my closet to get some Jason's Biotin Shampoo/Conditioner...more tangles. I then went up to another BSS to buy some Creme of Nature (green label) and Africa's Best Herbal Oil. I think my hair was rather dried out from the repeated washings because the CON wasn't even as moisturizing as it usually is, but it was better than the others. I was just trying to find another shampoo/conditioner to alternate with my Elucence. I think I'll just keep the Creme of Nature.

Try silk elements, I know you dont like to conditioner so maybe you can try the moisturizing treatment and the leave-in. Or even the moisture plus from motions

Ayeshia said:
I say look regularly for coupons in the sunday paper (if it hasnt been mentioned)...I added up my expenses so far and I have saved about 40 bucks eaily when using coupons. Also getting the larger sized containers of Suave and VO5 cpnditoners instead of buying the smaller .96 cent bottles helped too. You get double the amount for 50 cents less :yep:
Thread Corruption:

Did you do your color yourself? If so, what did you use?

redRiot said:

My main issue is finding a good deep conditioner. Right now on the list is Cholesterol since it tends to be cheap. I need some more ideas though. I found myself searching for reviews on cheap brands like Suave and V05, but I see many ladies use these conditioners for co-washes, and I need a cheap conditioner that I could use as a deep conditioner that will still work well on my hair.

3. A good clarifier.
4. A good leave in

Thanks in advance!!!:)

As a college student myself I know what you are going through.

Some basic advice I follow when I decide how much too spend on beauty stuff is the longer it stays on or in your hair, the more you should spend. With that in mind focus your money on your moisturizers and conditioners. The acv rinse works wonders and helps keep your hair clean so you don't have to buy another clarifier. As far as the shedding check out all of the bss. Sometimes if they don't have it they can get it for you otherwise I am sure someone here can send you one. Porosity control is another product that has been mentioned that doesn't cost much either and works very well. If you find something that just makes everything else you use work better, find a way to afford it. For me it is the jane carter nourish and shine. It moisturizes like nobodys business. It is my holy grail product so I have to work it into my budget. Also trade secrets will sometimes have liter size bottle and sets on sale and if you find one you like it can save you alot of money. So far the only set I can use on a regular basis is the paul mitchell super skinny.
I'll give you my favorite cheapies

Shampoo: creme of nature, pantene relaxed and natural
Conditioners: ors packets, lustersilk cholesterols (I really like the shea butter one and they are only like 3 bucks a pop)
Leave in : neutrogena triple moisture leave in
Protien: bone marrow packets, hask placenta packets, dark and lovely protien intensive conditioner ( cheap and can be used with heat or without so you can customize the level of protien; doesn't leave my hair hard), got to be so smooth reconstructor in the tub (great stuff!!!)

Hope this helps
PS Sallys has alot of sample packs, buy a couple at a time and try them out

Back