The Nerve of Her!

This is a GREAT thread , you have to be a mentally strong person to continue being natural when it feels like there are so many people against you , my own friends would make comments like " oh the salon I go to is great you should go" or "when my hair gets wet and it curls up like yours my father tells me to cover up those naps" (she then laughed but I wasn't laughing):perplexed
As my hair got bigger and grew out more the same friends were running to get big chops for their hair journey :rolleyes:

:lachen:
I've had more than my fair share! I'm on self-imposed isolation from any of "those" beauty salons, which seem to be just about every single one in a 5-mile radius of my house!

Y'all are too funny :lachen:

I used to get my relaxed hair cut by this lady who has the longest, tackiest weave I have ever seen in my life. I used to call her Wacky Weave. I mean, she did a good job cutting my hair, but I tried my best to avoid her. However, she seemed to be the only person available when I needed to get my ends trimmed.

I thought of it this way-I know people who clean for a living but their houses look like crap. She never had anyone looking busted. It's just that she looked busted herself.

Also....

I've had people openly make fun of my natural hair. I always found it amusing that they all had seriously receding hairlines from chemical damage or traction alopecia (braids, etc). A few of them told me I needed to get a relaxer, but all I did was openly concentrate on their damaged hair.

A few weeks ago there was this guy who followed me in the grocery store. He came up to the fruit section. At first he was complimenting me on how thick my hair was but finally got to the point. He said he was a hair stylist and would love to relax my hair for me. I replied " No, thank you."

Thing is I'm only 6 months post and everyone assumes my hair is completely natural.
At least he was nice about it. These are the people I will politely decline.

I remember the first time that happened to me....I was in WalMart with my mom and some lady whose hair was busted (I don't remember what it looked like, but I remember thinking "DAMN, her hair is messed up") took a look at me and immediately made a beeline to me to tell me about her salon. She stuffed her card in my hand and sauntered off. I looked at my mom and started yelling, then ripped up the card and threw it down. My mom was shocked that I reacted like that, but couldn't deny that the lady was wrong for that. I hope she heard me. too.

Earlier tonight I was at WalMart AGAIN (why this always happens there, IDK) and I was staring at this chick in the next line over with the most beautiful fro I have ever seen up close. Her outfit was tacky, but she had a pretty purple flower tucked in front of her left ear. Her friend then walked up with an equally amazing twistout. I was just about to tell her I loved her hair when I saw a short round Hispanic lady sizing her up. I watched her as she stared at the chick with the fro for a good 10 seconds, frowned, then reached in her purse and pulled something out. She then walked up to the girl WHILE SHE WAS AT THE REGISTER (obviously it couldn't wait), handed her a card, and smiled. I could tell that she was giving her a card for her salon. I felt the rage inside me bubble up, and watched as the girl with the afro showed the card to her friend, who whispered something in her ear. As they walked away, I just glared at the Hispanic lady, hoping she'd see me giving her the evil eye. It just bothers me when people see "naps" and immediately want to do the person's hair. I don't go around with a razor giving people edge-ups and telling people "ooh child, your hair is JACKED UP. You ever thought about going natural?" Worry about your own head.

I've been handed plenty of business cards from busted-looking chicks telling me they can give me a touch up.:rolleyes:

:lachen:totally true - " SCUUUZE me, lemme gi' you mah CORD" ( as in business card).... goes in the trash as I head to the door....:lachen:

I had a similar situation with a girl in my class. She had microbraids too and hardly any edges. At first, she complimented my hair going on and on about how long and pretty it is (I was less than APL at the time but longer than SL :perplexed). Anyway, I needed a touch up and a cut so it's only natural my hair ends would look a little thin especially since I flat-ironed my hair to try to smooth everything (irons make my hair thin and flat looking). My Asian friend says, "Oh my Aireen, your hair looks shorter, did you cut it?!" I reply with a no and that I'm due for a cut then she says, "Hm... something is off, it looks a bit thinner." The microbraid girl chimes in, "Yeah... it looks REALLY thin! What happened?" Me, "Nothing, I just need to go to the salon to get it cut and touched up." Microbraid-girl, "Hm... Do you do your hair from root to tip? You know that's bad right?" Me, "No never, just the roots." M.G., "Nah... I don't think so, you probably put it from root to tip."

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: I HATE when people are telling me what I am doing with MY own hair. UHM hello... Do you take the time to buy my products, pay for my touchups, shampoo, condition, style, etc.? NO! So butt out please! :nono:

The end result I basically restated my first answer by saying no again and that I'm due for a relaxer. HONESTLY though, you with hardly any edges, I'm gonna listen to YOU?! :\ Yes, root to tip relaxer is bad but anyone with jacked up hair is not going to have me as their follower. :rolleyes:

/END RANT

Back