The Mini Twist / Mini Braid Thread

Prayers for healing grace @Lissa0821

The baptism was wonderful. My church was so accommodating and loving with me and DH. I still had my install in but in hindsight, I should have taken it out. I had to let my hair completely dry before I could take the extension hair out and I think the extra weight made my scalp super sensitive.

Still have not fully washed my hair but I'm going to today. I'm going to hold off on doing another set of braids just to give my scalp a rest.

My hair is fine and tangly (4ab). The ends of my braids or twists start to matt too quickly. If anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it.

Someone on YT does avocado oil and aloe vera mix for her braided ends. Maybe I need to try again.

My hair is fine and tangly (4ab). The ends of my braids or twists start to matt too quickly. If anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it.

Someone on YT does avocado oil and aloe vera mix for her braided ends. Maybe I need to try again.

Do you install on wet or dry hair?
Have you tried installing on blown out hair?

How often do you wash or wet them?
Do you tie them down at night?

I could see heavy sealing on the ends working well for you. My favorite heavy sealer is a mix of EVOO and Safflower oils.
How does your hair respond to aloe? I've found that aloe seems to respond like a protein on my hair - making it tangled and matted.

My natural hair is fine 4 b/a and I rocked mini braids for the majority of my natural and texlaxed journeys. I wet them daily, sometimes twice a day. I also M&S every night before I wrap them up for bed - adding extra product to the bottom third of my hair. I then sorta cross wrap and tie it down firmly. I prefer satin scarves over loose bonnets as my fine hair has a tendency to fly away so it needs to be locked down. The moisturizing and then the firm tie down lays my hair down well bc my strands are so fine. I also ponytail baggie or bun baggie approx 3x/ week - sometimes overnight and sometimes during the day under a headscarf.

IME, paying extra attention to my ends contributes the most to increased retention. HTH! :)

Thank you @MzSwift

I install on dry hair and I don't usually blow my hair out (although I do sit under the dryer). I will give it a go next time.

I'm not sure on the aloe, as it's been a while since I've last used it. However, I've just spotted some protein ingredients in my new moisturiser and my hair seems to be breaking now, possibly protein sensitive...

I see my night routine could use some work. :blush: I dont moisturise every night, or tie it down. I just put my satin cap (loose fitting) on and call it a night which could be part of the problem :look:. I'll try your routine and hopefully it will work!

Thank you @MzSwift

I install on dry hair and I don't usually blow my hair out (although I do sit under the dryer). I will give it a go next time.

I'm not sure on the aloe, as it's been a while since I've last used it. However, I've just spotted some protein ingredients in my new moisturiser and my hair seems to be breaking now, possibly protein sensitive...

I see my night routine could use some work. :blush: I dont moisturise every night, or tie it down. I just put my satin cap (loose fitting) on and call it a night which could be part of the problem :look:. I'll try your routine and hopefully it will work!

Good catch!

I tell ya, that protein will sneak up on you! And don't have multiple products with sneaky protein in them :pullhair:...You'll be thinking "oh maybe it's time for a protein tx - it's been a while" and then next thing you know, you're fighting protein overload.

I do understand that protein helps the hair absorb moisture so it makes sense that there is some in a moisturizer. But if someone is being careful or trying to plan out a regi, it can catch you off guard!

GL to you! If you're trying what I do, I'll be fully transparent. Something I almost always use under my satin scarf and even cotton bandana/head wrap (and my wigs, when I wear them) is a sateen men's wave cap. I wear them inside out so that the satin part touches my hair and the stitching is away from my hair. They allow me to lock my hair down before I put on my scarf without having to use pins or anything. Even when I get hair lazy, I still use them.

I use the ones like this:

1728569553122.png

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CSNDYH7?ref_=ppx_hzod_title_dt_b_fed_asin_title_0_0

I finished taking out my mini twists. Took sometime, but I decided to use the African Pride Aloe & Coconut Water Dentangle and Condition Pre-Shampoo to help me take my twists down towards the end. And it worked so well. It minimized the hair loss/breakage I would get at the ends of my hair.

Once I'm done detangling. I plan to deep condition and blow out. i haven't decided to go back into mini braids or continue mini twists yet.

I finished taking out my mini twists. Took sometime, but I decided to use the African Pride Aloe & Coconut Water Dentangle and Condition Pre-Shampoo to help me take my twists down towards the end. And it worked so well. It minimized the hair loss/breakage I would get at the ends of my hair.

Once I'm done detangling. I plan to deep condition and blow out. i haven't decided to go back into mini braids or continue mini twists yet.
I hate that I love that product. It really is amazing but it's so hard to find on the ground near me. And I don't always like ordering online.

Back