The lovely smell of burnt hair

buffalosoldier

Is there any way to avoid this or is it just inevitable?
I have very thick curly/frizzy hair that needs LOADS of heat to straighten.
I rarely straighten but when I do I use the gold and hot curling iron on almost full blast -usually after a rollerset which works wonders BTW
smile.gif

When my SO came home the other day he said as soon as he walked in the door 'This smell reminds me of growing up' from his mum and sis doing their hair. So maybe it is just like I said inevitable.

But has ANYBODY figured out a way around it? If so please share !
(My hair wont straighten without heat.)

barf.gif
I just now remembered that smell. It's been almost 10 months since I smelled it. That smell of fried, burnt hair throughout my life is what led me to discover the hair boards because I didn't want it anymore.
nono.gif

I don't have one yet (and I could be wrong) but I thought a good ceramic flat iron is a lot better for our hair regarding smell and straightening. Safer too.

I hate that smell! The way that I avoid it is by using my appliances on low.

I have ultra thick hair too. I guess I do the same thing that you do, rollerset, airdry, then either press or straighten with a curling iron or flat iron. I don't need it to be on ultra hot though cuz my hair is already mostly straight from the rollerset.

Are you natural, cuz otherwise I am confused if your hair doesn't get straught after setting it?

That smell IS/WAS the main reason why I stopped using heat on my hair. No matter what setting I used, it STILL stunk...and I can't STAND to smell no stanky hair!

As for getting rid of it...some of the other ladies seem to have some good ideas.

BS- Do you you a curl wax? My hair dresser always uses a curl wax or oil to coat the hair before curling or pressing. I would suggest trying that to see if it helps.

You say you use the iron on full blast, and I'm assuming that it's a metal iron. That probably causes the burning.

I would suggest trying a ceramic iron, on a lower temperature. Some people on the board have said that flat ironing slightly damp hair gets it smoother. I'll see if I can find a thread to bump up for you
smile.gif

Thanks ladies !!! appreciate the help

I think that I will buy a ceramic iron and see if that helps.
After roller setting my hair is straightish but it still needs the heat to get it how I want it..Im texturised. yeah I use grease on the ends and no I dont clean the iron (very naughty but I will start)
And yes the smell can last even after you wash your hair
smile.gif
GROSS
When i used to straighten my hair all the time the smell was normal even when I went to friends and could smell it at their houses.It was familiar (very sad) But I have been wearing my hair curly for the last 5 years for the most part and I cant stand it now
smile.gif

Its funny how your perceptions of 'normal' change

[ QUOTE ]
Poetess232 said:
You say you use the iron on full blast, and I'm assuming that it's a metal iron. That probably causes the burning.

I would suggest trying a ceramic iron, on a lower temperature. Some people on the board have said that flat ironing slightly damp hair gets it smoother. I'll see if I can find a thread to bump up for you
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. From my understanding, your hair shouldn't smell burnt unless it WERE burned in some way. Even when my hair was pressed, I always smelled the grease that was used in my hair and the burnt smell would ONLY occur when they put the iron, laced with my loose hairs still in the comb, back on the fire.

Keep the iron clean of residue and hair strands, that should help. I loved my Gold n Hot barrel iron, I got the salon look with that and Dudley's creme press (and with only one run through). When it broke I bought a Chi, which I like and it works fine but I have been thinking of replacing my Gold n Hot and using it every two weeks.

Back