the longest you have went without washing

deedabug

how long? on purpose? was your hair in better condition? did you do any ''spot cleaning'' in the meantime?

I'm considering washing every 2...and yes 3 weeks lol...i noticed when i start washing alot my strands become weaker...i didn't have this problem earlier last year...or maybe i did and thought it was normal....my hair responded better to less washing off and on also when i had a relaxer...

any thoughts??

The longest was about 2 weeks. Because I was being lazy and was dreading straightening my hair.
My hair was not in better condition and my scalp was itchy.

the longest i've gone without washing... 4-6 weeks... and that was back when i was relaxed.

the longest i've gone without washing as a natural... 2.5 weeks.

The longest I've gone is about 6 weeks (relaxer to relaxer)...this was about 5-7 years ago. This will probably sound silly, crazy, just plain ignorant, etc, but I didn't want the relaxer to be "washed out" and my hair get frizzy. :look: I had this idea that the less I washed my hair, the longer it would stay straight. I don't think I had any adverse effects...if it smelled bad I sure didn't know it :perplexed , and if it started to get that stringy look, I'd just put it in a ponytail. Glad I don't do that anymore...

The longest I go now is 2 weeks, and that's only if I get a blowout, otherwise I CW every other day or every 3 days.

I am not a frequent washer. I try it every so often, but I tend to lose more hair with more washings and manipulation. I'm still washing every 2 weeks during my transition with great results.

I wash/cond and then braid my hair in "medusa" plaits (15-20 plaits). I keep it braided for one week and then loosen the braids for a braid out the next week. It works well for now, but I'm sure as more newgrowth comes, I may be changing, but it continues to work for now.

I tried a rollersetting mission, but I was loosing too much hair parting and combing in such small sections.

To answer your questions: The longest was 3/4 weeks, because it lasted so long. I didn't notice any changes good or bad for waiting that long. I normally go every 2 weeks because I can with no problems. If I tell people my hair is 2 weeks old, they normally think it's more recent.

sorry for rambling. :)

I went 5 weeks once when I was studying abroad in France. I had a press and I didn't want to wash it because I didn't know how to style my natural hair and didn't trust the salons. My hair was dry but I was also hair clueless then. I now can tolerate two weeks but I start getting the desire to wash my scalp after 10 days.
Right now, My washing frequency depends on style. I only wash more than once a week when I'm in a box braids because it's the only style that doesn't result in more manipulation. Sometimes when I'm super lazy I wet bun and that also needs to be washed regularly. But I'm with you guys, more washing means more manipulation for me, which is not a good thing. I don't think washing weakens my hair but constantly detangling inevitably causes some breakage. I don't think it's hindered my growth but I must admit my hair is still kinda dry.

Now I go about a couple weeks at most cos it has a to be a weekend I dont have anywhere to go
My blow dryer is busted, I dont have one of those hood dryers, and I just cant roller set my hair, so it airdries and looks busted cos it cant go into a ponytail! *aaarrgghhh*

When I was relaxed I washed once a week. Now I wash everyday (every other day when I'm lazy).

I think my hair is in good condition now, and it was when I was relaxed. I find that if I go a week without washing then I have a lot of tangles.

Lastly, I use Burt's Bees shampoo bar. It's all natural so it doesn't strip my hair, and I only have to later up once. I love that clean feeling and the clean smell.

Last edited:
I can't go more than a week without washing my hair, and I prefer every 2-3 days. My hair (and scalp) gets dryer/duller if I postpone washing. My hair looks and smells the best right after it's been washed.

I think the longest that I ever went without washing was thirteen weeks.:lol: I know that it sounds crazy but I was in braids and kept my scalp clean with Sea Breeze.:)

prolly 4 months:look: That was waaaaaaay back in the day when I had braids. Shoot, I didn't know you were supposed to wash them... or even could:lol: My hair looked a hot, gunky, stinky mess coming from up under those- but what was new, sadly my hair always looked a hot mess back then:lachen:

The longest I have gone between washing was 2 weeks out of sheer laziness and I just didn't give a damn at that time. I usually wash every 2-3 days. If I go too long my scalp gets itchy. I am the type that if I sweat any and if I smell my head at all, it's got to be washed! But that's just me.

Here's a little tid-bit for you. When my mom was "transitioning" into locks she had to go about a month before she could wash her hair so that her hair would lock up. In between her stylist cleaned her scalp with Sea Breeze. I guess any astringent would work, I would go for the alcohol-free ones. She just put a little on a cotton ball and rubbed her scalp in the parts with it.

I think that may be a good option for you if you want to go longer in between, as long as you don't load your hair up with products.

I once went almost 6 weeks because of laziness. My hair looked fine, but the scalp did start itching round about the 4-week mark.

Prior to that on another occasion I went 3 weeks after getting the best blow-out ever! My hair was so soft and silky people thought I was Indian. I ended up washing it just because I felt guilty about going 3 weeks without a shampoo, but I could have cried when the water hit what was still a fresh-looking blow-out.

Last edited:
I wash every two weeks, I always have. I dont have the time or patience to wash anymore frequent than that. My wash and dry process takes about 6 hours-I know, thats long, don't ask....

I ain't even going to lie. There were times (before discovering this board) when I would get braids and have them in my head for 3 months and not a drop of water touched my head. And I always wondered why taking braids out was such a problem. When I didn't have braids I would wash my hair once or twice a month.

I seriously thought water was bad for black hair. I shudder just thinking about how unsanitary that is, but at the time, I didn't know any other way.

msbrown76 said:
The longest I've gone is about 6 weeks (relaxer to relaxer)...this was about 5-7 years ago. This will probably sound silly, crazy, just plain ignorant, etc, but I didn't want the relaxer to be "washed out" and my hair get frizzy. :look: I had this idea that the less I washed my hair, the longer it would stay straight. I don't think I had any adverse effects...if it smelled bad I sure didn't know it :perplexed , and if it started to get that stringy look, I'd just put it in a ponytail.quote]

same here for me, but thanks to LHCF, that is no more! I'm gonna wash every week now.

wow sherrylove has everyone beat!!

so i dont feel bad now...i plan on using an astrigent on my scalp....so i'm goin for 2.5 to start and possibly go to the full 3 weeks....

i am not doin it for growth...just so my strands wont get so weak....which could very well lead to growth...i noticed when i was doing twists (i did them so long i cant stand a full head of twists any more lol) when i took them down after 2 weeks and washed my hair it wasnt weak at all...i could see the strands easily when holding them up to the light...and could easily feel them rubbin them in between my fingers...

that didnt happen washing every day...every other day...

anyways thanks ladies....

The longest I've ever went w/o washing was 2 weeks...I could never do that again...If I go past a week w/o washing my hair...my scalp would itch like crazy...and my hair would have an awful scent.

The longest I've gone is about a month (before I was taking care of my hair). It stank, got stringy, nasty, and I had horrible dandruff AND THE ITCHIES ALMOST KILLED ME. It was gross! Why why why!!

MissBiss said:
My hair was so soft and silky people thought I was Indian. I ended up washing it just because I felt guilty about going 3 weeks without a shampoo, but I could have cried when the water hit what was still a fresh-looking blow-out.

ROTFLMAO!!!
The longest I've gone is 8 weeks because my hair was pressed and I couldn't find anyone to press it. I did pretty good with washing and pressing every 3 weeks though.

BerrySweet said:
How did you stand it???????????????????????

Ladies, it really did not seem to bother me... my scalp did not itch terribly or anything like that....I kept my hair in twist and buns...and it seemed as if my hair really grew faster then......i do not know what got in to me back then....lol... the only reason now i wash it as often is because it is relaxed.....

When I wear braids, I sometimes go as long as four weeks before I wash them. In the meantime I keep my scalp clean with either witch hazel or Sea Breeze.

I usually wash every 2 weeks. I don't have a relaxer and I usually get it pressed and curled once a month. My hair is fine and it seems to weaken with frequent washings. It has done fairly well since I seemed to be washing less.

When I was a teenager I would go three months without washing!! I had a jheri curl and my hair did very well despite constant combing and brushing abuse.

Cinnabuns said:
I think the longest that I ever went without washing was thirteen weeks.:lol: I know that it sounds crazy but I was in braids and kept my scalp clean with Sea Breeze.:)
A friend of mine just recommended Sea Breeze to clean your scalp. I'm gonna try it today.

The longest I've ever gone without washing my hair was two weeks. As soon as my scalp starts itching, smelling, or my hair starts catching lint, I'm ready to shampoo, which usually translates into a wash at least once a week.

To control itchies when my hair is in twists or braids, a spray made with tea tree oil works well for me.

Back