The longer/ The thinner....

honeycomb719

I'm noticing that the longer my hair gets the thinner it looks. My hair texture 4aFi, does this mean that long hair is not for me? My hair is not all the same length, but it gradually catching up, but still looks so thin. I have a jet black rinse on my hair and this has helped some, but it still dont look becoming to me.
I'm thinking I should just cut my lost (literally) and find a shorter style I can live with.
crazy.gif

Anyone else going through this or been through this?
If so, How did you deal with it?

More pics coming soon.......

I think you should just me more careful with it to minimize the mid shaft breakage so it can be thick. i foolishly had been trying to get rollersets for the last 3 weeks and thinned my hair out about 10%.

I have thin hair due to medication. Along with MSM and eating a ton of carrots, my hair is starting to thicken and it is not just the new growth.

Honeycomb, don't despair. Remember that the longer your hair is on your head the more it undergoes natural wear and tear so that the ends always look thinner than the roots. Maybe you should add B5 supplement to your regimen to help thicken the strands so that any hair you grow in future will be thicker and appear fuller, then you can trim a little at a time till you get the look you want all through your hair. I have also heard that B5 in hair products can work similarly when applied externally. An example is Humectress when used as a leave-in; it is supposed to make your hair look fuller, if I'm not mistaken.

Just wear protective styles to save your hair any more weathering than is necessary. And on the days you wanna wear your hair out, do a braid-out or twist-out so that your hair appears fuller.

One last thing, when you reach your goal, your hair won't stop growing, but at that time you can start trimming the ends as your hair grows to maintain it at that length. In due time, you'll be rid of the thin ends you see today and your hair will have a full healthy look from roots to end.

I second the suggestions to try Pantothenic Acid (aka vitamin B5) and protective styles. Speaking as a fellow fine-hair, it's made a world of difference to me. In fact, the last stylist I went to (this past week) actually described my hair as thick! Good luck, honeycomb!

YES.Give it a try b5 has help to thicken my hair.
I also use nexxus diametress shampoo,humuctress conditioner
and nexxus headress these products gives your hair a thicker
appearance.

*runs to give Honeycomb a hug**

I am SO with you! I've had layers for years and I was *just* saying the very same thing to my husband the other day. People tell you to give the layers a chance to even up, but I tend to think that maybe chin length was a better length for me overall...I really think that the longer it gets, the less I love it.
mad.gif

I have a blunt cut for the first time in MANY years. I have to say that it looks thicker than it ever has. I think the layers make longer hair seem thin. I'm sure as you grow out the layers you will find that your hair will look thicker.

i agree with the B5 suggestion. it really has been making my hair grow in thicker. by that i mean the strands are noticeably thicker at the root than the ends since i started taking it...

yep i also take panthonic acid and i also wear protective styles....i will do this most of the time to avoid breakedge, i am really afarid of that...
asummertyme

i have the same problem! my last relaxer i decided to just ask my beauticain to trim my ends. this women usually takes off about 2 inches but i made sure to be specific that she took only 1/8in. the results were great! i can't believe how thick my ends look yet still pretty long!
grin.gif

I have the same problem, my hair is shedding and breaking a lot which results in thinner hair. It is however slowly creeping down for which I'm grateful but I'd prefer thicker rather than longer hair. I have been taking b5 for a few months and I also use headress and castor oil which helps it at least appear thicker than it really is. I'm getting a relaxer on Thursday and like patticake will opt for a trim.

c?<
¥ Db]cutebajangirl said:[/b]
I think you should just me more careful with it to minimize the mid shaft breakage so it can be thick. i foolishly had been trying to get rollersets for the last 3 weeks and thinned my hair out about 10%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi cutebajangirl, I too have midshaft breakage -- how does rollersets cause thinning? Please elaborate if you don't mind.
TIA
Debbie

[ QUOTE ]
elaine said:
I have thin hair due to medication. Along with MSM and eating a ton of carrots, my hair is starting to thicken and it is not just the new growth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean to sound ignorant, but how can msm and carrots help hair that has already grown out of your head?

(((Hugs))) Thanx ladies 4 your responses. I'm late at responding, but school has sista-girl on the go 24/7 just about. I slacked off my B-5's (all vitamins 4 that matter) but, since you all recked it I'll jump back on the horse.
I post some pics in about a month to show my progress.....

[ QUOTE ]
cutebajangirl said:

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that is my problem (mid-shaft breakage)
smile.gif
I think I need a good trim
smile.gif

This color doesn't help any either
frown.gif

Athough my hair isnt thin, it is fine. The longer my hair is the more finer it appears. But I also have lots of fine hair. If that makes any sense.

Sorry debyjay- I never saw your question. It wasn't the rollersets per se, but I was going to salon that was rough while setting and had not yet discovered my main detanglers. So all in all it was a recipe for breakge which I was amazed at how quickly it showed up. If I ever needed proof of the damage tht rough handling can do to the hair I got it.

I don't know if it is the msm I am taking, or the wealth of other new vitamins, increased protein,or surge [when I remember it], but my fine 4a/b hair has thickened like crazy in the last month or two. There are literally masses of the fine stuff on my head. So if I were you, I'd try all of the above.

Back