The "Learn a New Skill" Challenge!!!

Sianna

Okay, I haven't seen anything like this so please tell me if I missed anything in the search!

As the title suggests, this is a challenge to learn new skills in styling and caring for our hair! For those of us who do most of our own hair care, it can sometimes be frustrating when we just don't have the skills to do things we see others doing, or when we just want to try something new. So ladies, I challenge myself, and anyone who wants to join me, to learn the things we were never able to do before!!!

The challenge will be fairly open and has no time line. Simply list the things you want to learn. Work on your skills and report back on your progress! Oh, and as always, pics are welcome and appreciated!!

I'll start first! I want to learn...

1. How to rollerset my hair
2. How to cornrow
3. How to improve my flat twists

If I think of anything more, I'll add it later on, but I believe I will work on rollersetting first cause it'll probably be the easiest. I'll start next month or so when I have a little more length! ;)

I think this'll be a really great way to help one another as well because those of us that are learning the same skill can recommend youtube videos, blogs, techniques and other resources to help those of us who are still struggling!

I hope some of you ladies will join me in learning some new skills!

Cool!

I would like to learn...
1. How to cornrow
2. How to properly rollerset
3. How to self relax>>>texlax

O wow! Thanks for this! This is def something i need! I do too many people's heads not to know this stuff and not to mention my own
I need to learn:
Rollersetting
Conrows
Flat twists

Last edited:
This is a great idea! I definitely need to learn everything you listed. I would love to join.
I need to learn:
Rollersetting
Conrows
Flat twists

Okay...where do I start??

So how are we gonna do this? Recommend youtube channels to each other? I want to buy a manikin head to practice on. Tryna keep my hair low mani

I want to learn how to roller set better
cornrow my own hair
and something not related to hair.. play the piano...lol

I wanna learn:

How to latchhook (crochet braid)
Start/maintain locs
Do a sew in
Flat twist
Cornroll

I know how to latch hook. I always buy the latch hook kits at the arts and crafts store. I latch hook the picture and hang them up in my kids room. Oh you brought back memeories for me when I used to latch hook as a child. It is the same thing when it comes to crochet braiding.

I need to learn how to french braid/corn row first before I can crotchet the braids in. You gave me another idea I can crotchet my daughters hair.

Thanks

I want to learn how to

1. cornrow/french braid
2. roller set (a nice looking one!)
3. flat twist

Awesome, I need to learn to cornrow my own hair....will start practicing on my next twist day adn HOPE they are good enough to wear to work lol

I want to learn how to:

1. Cornrow--(underhanded/ I can do overhand, but it doesn't seem to hold as long)
2. Flat twist (properly)

I'm really going to have to learn these skills cause I'll be in an area where few people will know how to handle my type of hair :( yikes and *gulp*

Great challenge.

My french braids are finally on point (as long as I stick to 2, I dont know if I can just do one)

1. Cornrows
2. Flat twists
3. A decent bantu knot-out

umm there are more. I'll stick w/ those for now.

I need to learn:

how to cornbraid and frenchbraid my hair
how to better flat twist my hair

Wow. I thought I was one of the only ones who didn't know how to corn row/french braid. I keep saying I am going to buy a big head barbie doll to practice on. I practice on my daughter's but I don't let her go out of the house when I do! lol

So how are we gonna do this? Recommend youtube channels to each other? I want to buy a manikin head to practice on. Tryna keep my hair low mani

Basically I had planned on using the web, including youtube, maybe the local library for some books and practice! Horrible, finger-numbing practice! :cry2:

I hate practicing new techniques, but I guess it's the only way to learn. When I have my first reasonably successful result, I will tell you all what I did, how, and post pictures of my results. As my techniques improve, I'll post more pics. I love seeing other people's pics so I'll never be stingy with them!

I'll invest in a mannequin head if I can find one that's reasonably priced, otherwise, I'll be practicing on the heads of myself and my poor unsuspecting daughter!! :grin::grin::grin:

Last edited:
Wow. I thought I was one of the only ones who didn't know how to corn row/french braid. I keep saying I am going to buy a big head barbie doll to practice on. I practice on my daughter's but I don't let her go out of the house when I do! lol

:lachen:I feel the exact same way!

I need to learn how to french braid/corn roll my daughters hair! I've tried all kinds of tutorials with no luck. :nono:

I must learn how to manage my hair in a continually dry state since I have to nix the frequent co-washing, so I need to become better adept at:

- Rollersetting
- Braid-outs
- Twist-outs

I recently learned how to cornrow and french braid. I'm very excited and just braided my hair. (and it looks like its braided!!!!)

I know how to rollerset too. I can contribute and learn. Yea.

1.) Flat Iron with a silky feathered finish!
2.) Cornrow
3.) Roller set,Flexi rod, or Straw set (when my hair is longer)
4.) comb curls

This is soo funny! In high school I was a cheerleader and when we would go to camp we worked and practiced really hard. A lot of the black girls would wear micro braids to camp to make their hair easier to manage.
I remember it was a popular thing for the white girls to get the black girls to cornrow their hair for practice ect. Whenever a girl would ask me to cornrow her hair, I'd be like "I don't know how to do that. I pay somebody!" I would get the funkyest looks.. I find it tooo funny that so many of us are listing CORNROWS! as one of the things we would like to learn. How dare the asume because I'm black I can braid a sister up!

I want to learn how to do small cornrows. For some reason I can only do big ones. My small ones are not decent enough for public. I also want to learn how to rollerset (never tried yet) and do kinky twists.

I am SO surprised that so many of us are listing cornrows!! I thought I was like the only black woman who couldn't do them! Like it was supposed to be instinctual or something!! :lachen::lachen:

Back