The humidity is back... which means frizz!

sweetcocoa

What are you ladies(and gentleman) going to do or have you done in the past to help tame, or at least tone down the frizz?
I still will mostly wear my hair up...but sometimes there are special occasions where you want to wear your hair down...even if it's only for a few hours.
I think freshly trimmed ends will be helping me this week. Anyone else have some ideas?

My hair in a curly pom-pom. That style never fails, plus you can dress it up with cute butterfly clips and other accessories.

i have twists all over my head and i dont get no frizz or anything i dunno why mine really stay in place.

Well, right now, it's not too bad... this is like the 2nd really warm day since winter.

My rollersets (large bouncy curls) will stay in place with no frizz.

Now my "air drying" styles...
scratchchin.gif
... it's gonna be interesting to see how those turn out when the humidity gets really high, especially cuz I don't have a frizz serum in my regime...
ohwell.gif

Hi Sweetcocoa!
I just posted this to you under your thread about you getting a relaxer. In case you dont see it there...

Please tell me how your hair reacts to the humidity since you said you mostly did the relaxer to deal with frizz.

My hair is one large frizz ball.

I have also been considered getting a texturizer. So if this works for you and you dont get any frizz please let me know.
Thanks
Daisy

Girl, all I can say is a bun (or some other protective style). If you want to wear your hair down (wrapped) for a special outing, you could always wait until you're inside before combing your hair down.

[ QUOTE ]
Girl, all I can say is a bun (or some other protective style). If you want to wear your hair down (wrapped) for a special outing, you could always wait until you're inside before combing your hair down.

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I'm wearing mine in a twist-out this week, and so far it's holding up really well in the humidity!!
trampoline.gif
I think this is gonna be my summer style staple!!
smile.gif

I'm gonna start doing the bun thang. Even though I permed my hair last night, as soon as I stepped outside today (my hair was still damp), my ponytail turned into a frizzle.
nono.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm with you on that one, or a phonytail umm I meant ponytail
wink.gif
I'm taking my hair down and leaving it natural for the summer.
rosebud.gif

Sweets,

I remember we posted together about this problem last year and I talked about the Fantiasi Frizz Buster or something like that. HATED it. Didn't do anything but smell good.

This Loreal Anti-Frizz serum has conquered the frizzies, heat and humidity with my hair
clap.gif
bouncy.gif

Although I can wear it down in this weather with no problem now, I don't because I need a touch up which is a whole 'nother issue.

But I'll tell you. I don't have enough hair to put in a bun that doesn't look like it's on crack... nor do I have hair long enough to dare to put it in a bun wet... it will surely roll up and park.

But what I do, is roller set it as if I'm going to roller wrap it. When it's dry, I lay/brush the sides back and the back up, pin it loosely (so as not to stress and break) and play with the curls in the crown area to make cute spirals. I don't want them to hang or even touch my skin in this hot weather so I just randomly tuck the strands under pinned areas so it looks neat and kind of like sculptured curls/spirals together. As days go by, I pull more and more of the spirals back or tuck them into other curls and it's still cute.

[ QUOTE ]
But I'll tell you. I don't have enough hair to put in a bun that doesn't look like it's on crack... nor do I have hair long enough to dare to put it in a bun wet... it will surely roll up and park.

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif
rofl.gif
laugh.gif

Henna treatments don't help with frizz as much as I hoped they would. Getting caught in the rain is totally different from walking around in what feels like a steam room outside...

I'm transitioning by wearing my hair in a bun covered by a fake afro puff. My hair is usually damp, so frizz isn't an issue. But I hardly have "touchable hair". I don't know what I'm going to do when I'm ready to wear my own hair out. I can't walk around with dripping wet hair!

[ QUOTE ]
Sweets,
This Loreal Anti-Frizz serum has conquered the frizzies, heat and humidity with my hair
clap.gif
bouncy.gif

Although I can wear it down in this weather with no problem now, I don't because I need a touch up which is a whole 'nother issue.

But what I do, is roller set it as if I'm going to roller wrap it. When it's dry, I lay/brush the sides back and the back up, pin it loosely (so as not to stress and break) and play with the curls in the crown area to make cute spirals. I don't want them to hang or even touch my skin in this hot weather so I just randomly tuck the strands under pinned areas so it looks neat and kind of like sculptured curls/spirals together. As days go by, I pull more and more of the spirals back or tuck them into other curls and it's still cute.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is on my list to buy. Your updo sounds similar to what I did yesterday. I just came back from lunch and my rollerset still looks good. It fell a little...so I just fluff the curls up with my fingers. I am too happy. But I will wait and see how it does the next few weeks and how it does when it's aidried before I do the 'happy dance'. I think between the relaxer, my freshly clipped ends and the shea/pomade(which I thought would be too heavy but is not), I hope my frizz days are behind me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Ponytails and buns! I am hot blooded, can't stand hair on my neck when it's hot as he** outside. The weather seems to be helping me with my hair manipulation problem, bun and go!

[ QUOTE ]
What are you ladies(and gentleman) going to do or have you done in the past to help tame, or at least tone down the frizz?
I still will mostly wear my hair up...but sometimes there are special occasions where you want to wear your hair down...even if it's only for a few hours.
I think freshly trimmed ends will be helping me this week. Anyone else have some ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Sweetcocoa,
Like you, I will keep my hair in protective styles - they're quick, easy, and cool by keeping my hair off my neck. When I rollerset to wear my hair down in the summer, I rely on Mahalialee's Black Strap Molasses trick (remember that from a year ago?).
notworthy.gif
It blocks the frizz from my hair everytime.
smile.gif

Mahalialee's Black Strap Molasses trick (remember that from a year ago?). It blocks the frizz from my hair everytime.

what's this ? Please share. I need help with frizz.
Thanks
Daisy

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Sweetcocoa,
Like you, I will keep my hair in protective styles - they're quick, easy, and cool by keeping my hair off my neck. When I rollerset to wear my hair down in the summer, I rely on Mahalialee's Black Strap Molasses trick (remember that from a year ago?).
notworthy.gif
It blocks the frizz from my hair everytime.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Nyambura! I was just thinking about that! I plan on doing that this weekend. I was gonna post a questions to see if anyone else was still doing this...
I mix it with a conditioner, how do you use it?

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone please post Mahalialee's Black Strap Molasses trick? TIA.

[/ QUOTE ]
Allandra, she posted it under the old forum. I'll see if I can find it. I just mix mine with a conditioner cover with a plastic cap and leave it on for an hour.

Allandra,
I couldn't find the one I was thinking about. Here's one with limes(I don't like limes personally...so I would exclude them). I use it the way Blkmane does in her post... Molasses and lime

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra,
I couldn't find the one I was thinking about. Here's one with limes(I don't like limes personally...so I would exclude them). I use it the way Blkmane does in her post... Molasses and lime

[/ QUOTE ]

Also this was posted by Jade21 a while back...

<font color="red"> Honey really does add moisture to your hair. It is also extremely soothing to an inflamed scalp and other skin, too. If you have not tried it in a facial mask, you should.

I've used honey on my hair straight. Basically dampened with a spray bottle a plenty and then spread honey throughout. It is wonderful on its own.

The other way I especially like to use it is in a mixture with blackstrap molasses or blackstrap molasses and plain yogurt. You might try this because the BSM makes the honey especially spreadable, same thing with the yogurt.

~Jade~

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hair Info: Andre's 2b mostly, very thick and heavy waaavy dark brown hair which is butt-length currently. It's been from shoulder-length to knee-length, but I like butt-length most at this point&lt;img src="/images/graemlins/cool.gif" alt="" /&gt;

</font>

Hi Sweetcocoa! Yes, I use it exactly as you do, mixing it with conditioner. However, I also thought it would be a good idea for all of the members who want to know about Mahalialee's copyrighted BSM (black strap molasses) recipes to see them:

Black strap molasses

1.5 tbsp. BSM w/AO Island Spice Conditioner
leave in 45 minutes (30 minutes was with heat).

Apply BSM treatments to shampooed, water-rinsed hair, followed by ACV rinse. Olive oil treatments to dry hair prior to shampooing.

1. Go to the Dollar store and buy a cheap black plastic paint brush.

2. Have everything you need lined up and ready, and
a. Your plastic covering or newspaper laid out.

3. Section hair and apply.
a. Clip hair into sections, all clips pointing upward. Clip back up as you finish each section.

b. Apply starting at the top, then the sides, then the front, then the back,

c. Then start your Saran Wrap at the side of your head.
Remove the first clip and secure the end of the saran wrap.
Remove clips as you continue to wrap. This will give you more control over what is happening.

4. Taking it down:
a. do it over the sink or the tub, and
b. rinse with a hose or with a bucket of warm water to get most of the molasses mixture out.

--&gt; Wrap in an old towel to catch excess drips and then proceed to complete rinses.

5. Note: Since I add aloe vera powder to mine it stabilizes the mixture and it is not runny. Sometimes I add Tulsi powder (Holy Basil) or Amla powder (Indian Gooseberry) or Neem powder, or shikakai, depending on what my hair needs at the time. Hope this helps.Bonjour.

And this is for 3 days post-relaxer:

vitamin c hair rinse

Vitamin C Rinse:
To 1 litre of distilled water add 2 tablespoons Vitamin C CRYSTALS following your relaxer.

Let it sit on hair and scalp for about 5 minutes and then rinse out.

Vitamin E oil. You can use that mixed with jojoba or even better, pure emu oil (which is used for burns); and I would mix about 1 tsp Vitamin E to 1 tbls emu oil and completely cver the scalp after your hair is squeezed dry. (section hair and pat in gently).

This is strictly for the after protection and toning of your scalp and is a proactive treatment followuing the relaxer and neutralizer.

Also your next shampoo, (the regular shampoo day, (about three days later?...following your relaxer) you may want to do the black strap molasses and deep conditioner combo. Oh, I use the Nature's Way Vitamin C Crystals. One quarter tsp. = 1200 =mcg. Check the labels and instruction re: dosage amounts. Hope this helps.

Long Hair Care Forum
Mahalialee, June 5 2002, 3:29 PM

Boy, that Mahalialee sure is one knowledgeable woman!

HTH!

ps - you don't need hair spray, gel or mousse after doing either of these BSM recipes.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Sweetcocoa! Yes, I use it exactly as you do, mixing it with conditioner. However, I also thought it would be a good idea for all of the members who want to know about Mahalialee's copyrighted BSM (black strap molasses) recipes to see them:

Black strap molasses

1.5 tbsp. BSM w/AO Island Spice Conditioner
leave in 45 minutes (30 minutes was with heat).

Apply BSM treatments to shampooed, water-rinsed hair, followed by ACV rinse. Olive oil treatments to dry hair prior to shampooing.

1. Go to the Dollar store and buy a cheap black plastic paint brush.

2. Have everything you need lined up and ready, and
a. Your plastic covering or newspaper laid out.

3. Section hair and apply.
a. Clip hair into sections, all clips pointing upward. Clip back up as you finish each section.

b. Apply starting at the top, then the sides, then the front, then the back,

c. Then start your Saran Wrap at the side of your head.
Remove the first clip and secure the end of the saran wrap.
Remove clips as you continue to wrap. This will give you more control over what is happening.

4. Taking it down:
a. do it over the sink or the tub, and
b. rinse with a hose or with a bucket of warm water to get most of the molasses mixture out.

--&gt; Wrap in an old towel to catch excess drips and then proceed to complete rinses.

5. Note: Since I add aloe vera powder to mine it stabilizes the mixture and it is not runny. Sometimes I add Tulsi powder (Holy Basil) or Amla powder (Indian Gooseberry) or Neem powder, or shikakai, depending on what my hair needs at the time. Hope this helps.Bonjour.

And this is for 3 days post-relaxer:

vitamin c hair rinse

Vitamin C Rinse:
To 1 litre of distilled water add 2 tablespoons Vitamin C CRYSTALS following your relaxer.

Let it sit on hair and scalp for about 5 minutes and then rinse out.

Vitamin E oil. You can use that mixed with jojoba or even better, pure emu oil (which is used for burns); and I would mix about 1 tsp Vitamin E to 1 tbls emu oil and completely cver the scalp after your hair is squeezed dry. (section hair and pat in gently).

This is strictly for the after protection and toning of your scalp and is a proactive treatment followuing the relaxer and neutralizer.

Also your next shampoo, (the regular shampoo day, (about three days later?...following your relaxer) you may want to do the black strap molasses and deep conditioner combo. Oh, I use the Nature's Way Vitamin C Crystals. One quarter tsp. = 1200 =mcg. Check the labels and instruction re: dosage amounts. Hope this helps.

Long Hair Care Forum
Mahalialee, June 5 2002, 3:29 PM

Boy, that Mahalialee sure is one knowledgeable woman!

HTH!

ps - you don't need hair spray, gel or mousse after doing either of these BSM recipes.

[/ QUOTE ] Thanks for posting this! I was looking everywhere for this. Thanks again and thanks Mahalialee(wherever you are) your recipes are the bomb!

I am going to try the Blackstrap Molasses stuff one day.
Thanks for posting it again. I forgot all about it.

The Vitamin C crystals are also supposed to help with frizz. I remember Jada1111 posted about this a while ago. But when she said not to scoop the Vit C with a metal spoon it kinda scared me off. (reminded me of the henna/metallic salts and a metal spoon/bowl stuff)

I read an article about drugstore products that are supposed to help with frizz in humid weather. They did a test and put women in a humidity chamber all with different anti frizz products in their hair.

The two that worked the best were

Pantene Anti Frizz Creme Moisturizing Curls Shaper and

Redken Outshine anti-frizz polishing milk.

The ladies using these products 'supposedly' did not get frizzy hair.

I have had moderate success with Frizz Ease Moisture Barrier hairspray. I only used it here in LA where it doesnt get too humid on my flat ironed hair and I was OK for the evening. I was too chicken to try it out in a humid area like Miami.

Valleygirl

Back