The HEAT Poll.(for relaxed/texturized heads)

You plan on going natural eventually

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

• Blowdryer

• Hood dryer

• Flat iron/curling iron

• Blowdryer

• Hood dryer

• Flat iron/curling iron

• Once a week or more

• Every 2 weeks or so

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UmSumayyah

Just wanted to get an idea of how often everyone is applying heat to their relaxed or texturized hair. Please indicate in your written response, if you make one, your hairtype (best guess!) and what types (and brands if you like) of products you use on your hair for each method.

Do you use heat more than once a year?
yes

What is your primary heat styling method??
Blowdryer...with comb attachment

What is your secondary heat styling method?
Hood dryer

How often do you use your main method?
Every 2 weeks or so

How often do you use your secondary method?
Every 2 weeks or so

Now that Im going to start doing the bun challenge, I will be airdrying and using no heat at all! I will never use a curling iron or flat iron again (or maybe for a looooong time). For my hair type and regime, check out this link http://members.fotki.com/poohbear215/about

2c- I like to use a leave-in (Salerm 21, NTM, Giovanni's or Infusium) and a setting lotion when I blowdry my wrapped hair. When I flat iron, I use a thick serum (KeraCare Silken Seal) as a heat protectant.
grin.gif

4a, fine individual strands.

Leave-in: Razac diluted with water.
Serum/Heat Protectant: Biosilk or Loreal Vive Serum mixed with a quarter sized amount of coconut oil.

yes

rollersetting

none

1x month (now that I discovered braid outs)

never

I consider indirect dome dryer as heat because a few year ago when I was having major breakage my derm pointed out to me that that as well as heat caps was heat that could cause breakage on extremely damaged hair.

I got texturized so I wouldn't have to use heat and I've been true to it thus far. But I am planning to have it done at least a few times w/in the next 12 mos. Both times it will be done professionally. I'm plotting a Dominican Blow-out and/or rollerset. Hair type in siggy.

4b

Main method is flat ironing. (Use this method about every 2-3 weeks) As a heat protectant I use Dudley's Creme Press

Second method is Hood dryer (use every 4 months). Apply Biosilk before going under dryer.

yes

Hood dryer for my rollerset

Blowdryer (dominican blowout)

2x weeks

Once every 4 months or so

<font color="blue">4a/4b texturized. I use heat for my blowouts which are not that often - only for special occassions 1-2 times per year. I use motions styling foaming lotion, infusium 23 leave-in, and softsheen gold for my blowouts. I then use the curling iron to achieve big, bouncy curls to the ends of my hair. </font>

--yes

--hooded dryer on cool. Not really heat stylin, but circulated cool air -- takes about 3 hours to dry my rollersets.

--hooded dryer on warm. Takes 1 1/2 hours to dry rollersets. I use warm when I'm in a hurry.

--couple of times a week.

--maybe once a month or less.

4b

I straigheten my hair around every two months. I use flat irons and pressing combs (not at the same time of course).

I like to use infusium 23 leave in, a serum or hair polisher, an oil mix like wgo or hot six oil and a heat protectant (again not always all of em at the same time)

I have texturized 3a hair

yes

blowdryer with comb attachment

flat iron

about once every three months, but im on the no heat for six months challenge right now.

whenever I use my main method. I let my hair airdry over night then i'll run a cool blowdryer over it in the morning to straighten. After that I use the flat iron to bump the ends.

I like to apply a leave-in (Salerm or NTM) and like I said let my hair airdry overnight. When I blowdry in the morning I spray wonder 8 oil and then flat iron. It sounds like very little to do but it leaves my hair super moisturized and I usually don't end up putting anything on my hair until my next wash. Oh and if I had to guess i'd say my hair type is 3b or c but then again I could be lieing to myself.
laugh.gif

3c/4a/b Natural/texturized (I attempted to texturize most of it some months ago, leaving some parts)

I attempt to straighten my hair about every 3 months, wash/conditioning etc. first, rollersetting (letting it dry over night, rarely blowdrying right away), then use flat iron/curling iron to straighten.
Oh, when I rollerset I apply leave-in, John Frieda wind down relaxing cream, and Soft sheen Carson Megahertz hi-frequency styling/heat protectant.

4a
Rollerset products:
Leave-in conditioners: Rusk Smoother Creme or Pantene Leave-in spray....sometimes adding
Soft and Beautiful Thermal Heat Protector ( mainly to get a stronger set)

Blow drying products:

no product until the end.... Mizani Shyne Spray

My hair type is 2b. I rotate between the products I use. When I get under the dryer, I use Paul Mitchell The Conditioner as a leave in conditioner mixed with Doo Gro Oil. I spray my hair with Elasta's moisture sealant and comb that through. I may or may not use a setting lotion depending on whether I feel like it or not. As far as flat ironing is concerned, I oil my hair with Doo Gro or Wonder 8 oil or I use Soft and Beautiful or Profectiv hair creme. I don't really use the flat iron anymore though. My hair is either wrapped or in a ponytail.

I use my hooded dryer for rollersets protein treatments.
Blowdry occasionally
Heat cap for deep conditioners.
I use lanza leave in protector.

YES

Hooded Dryer, on Medium heat

NONE

Haven't used it in 4 months (on the NO HEAT challenge)

N/A

I am in India, and have no access to any heating appliances. I usually air dry my hair, and even 'deep' conditioning without any heat. I even self relaxed recently without using any heat afterwards.

However, I do plan on ending this NO HEAT Challenge upon my return in mid-January. But I shall only be applying heat to my hair from a hooded dryer. Minimal heat has always worked best for my hair.

The only time I use heat is when I go to my stylist for a relaxer and that's every 8 to 12 weeks.

Yes.

Hood dryer

Blowdryer

Once every 10-14 days. I selected every 2 weeks or so.

Once every month. Again I selected every 2 weeks or so.

I have my hair roller set every 10-14 days. Every other time I go, I have my just roots blown out. Most (but not all) times I get a relaxer (every 3 months or so), I have my entire head blown straight. I have been flat-ironed only once in the last couple years and I haven't used a curling iron set my hair reached ear-length, so those really do not apply at all.

I have stopped using heat on my hair in an effort to 'heal' it. My hair had suffered some damage from over-processing and I have noticed that heat only made it worst. When my hair becomes healthy, I still will not use heat (for the most part). I have found that I can style my hair without the use of heat.

Back