The hardest part of transitioning...

I'm going to have to find a way to detangle my new growth without causing breakage. I think I might try the conditioner in the shower method...seems like a good idea.

I also need to figure out how to air dry so that my ends are poofy too!

You better get ta slappin conditioner in that stuff before detangling! Try doing it in 2-4 sections w/a wide tooth comb.

As far as air drying, have you tried banding, scarfing or loose braids?

When I was transitioning, it was a breeze up until about the 16 month mark. Then I started experiencing crazy breakage. Luckily, I was already scheduled to big chop at 18 months.

You better get ta slappin conditioner in that stuff before detangling! Try doing it in 2-4 sections w/a wide tooth comb.

As far as air drying, have you tried banding, scarfing or loose braids?

I wish that worked for me. When it gets wet it starts to sick together and more so stretch and become elastic. I know I know, you are about to say, "soundsl like you need protein!" The other delimma is that my natural hair loves moisture and my relaxed ends do not like protein. This is very hard situation to tackle. So I'm stuck with trying to detagle before I wet it and needing to wet or dampen it to detangle. But the hair will stick together and stretch. :wallbash: lol. Can't win.

im not a long term transitioner just hard headed lol. but really since i actually started listening to you guys and taking your advice it seems like its getting easier like last week i listened again and detangled my hair with the running water and it worked really well u guys are the best i had no hair falling out and im gonna be officially 3 months post tommorow and it seems you guys have helped me out a lot especially since im just learning how to do my hair myself (i know i fall into the category of college student leaving their mama and just learning how to do their hair lol i aint too proud to beg for hair advice that is). well ill be 6months in february and im gonna be braided up for that i just need to find better ways to airdry without getting crunchy ends im trying to get my hands on some good oils so that might help me out so keep it coming cuz im reading and experimenting with all the knowledge you guys are putting out there so believe me your words are not being overlooked cuz im learning.

I'm 6 months now and I find the hardest part about this time is that my hair looks lumpy and lopsided when I try to bun it. I tie it down at night and i put a scarf on it before going out etc but some parts are just bumpier and bigger than the others. i just go out with one side laid down and the other puffy. i can't be bothered because I love the hair thats underneath.

Ok since I don't think yall really really get the picture of what I'm talking about I decided to do the whole wash detangle and air dry so yall see what happens when I don't use a blow dryer. Now do yall understand my pain? :lachen:

66a.jpg

081.jpg

790.jpg

794.jpg

fda.jpg

44f.jpg

6d7.jpg

The hardest part about transistioning is the negative feedback you receive from fools...the best part is after you cut off (the processed hair)and ACCEPT your (natural) hair as it is....good, nappy, and beautiful.

The transistion is not complete into you ACCEPT your hair (IMO) and let it be....

Ok since I don't think yall really really get the picture of what I'm talking about I decided to do the whole wash detangle and air dry so yall see what happens when I don't use a blow dryer. Now do yall understand my pain? :lachen:

66a.jpg

Is there any product in your hair in these pics? If i let my hair 'just dry' it will look like this - but leave in conditioner and oil will make the curls pop and be moisturized. Also - are you avoiding cones? If not, they are probably the best bet for detangling when u think u just cant do it...

Last edited:

66a.jpg

Is there any product in your hair in these pics? If i let my hair 'just dry' it will look like this - but leave in conditioner and oil will make the curls pop and be moisturized. Also - are you avoiding cones? If not, they are probably the best bet for detangling when u think u just cant do it...

There wasn't anything in my hair at that time just towel dried. So far while I put the leave in conditioners and all that in there with this Eqyss Survivor detangler I have been able to comb through my hair after the air dry. I've been trying to use up a lot of products that I've bought that was suggested on here so I'm not avoiding any cones I just got this citrus and keratin fortifying shampoo from walgreens that has no lauryl/laureth sulfates and this bioinfusion organics curls and waves conditioner (aloe & wheat protein) gonna try these out in a few and see how that works.

Back