The Growth Journey-When Hair Grows (dare I say it) Too Fast

JeterCrazed

I am brand spanking new here. Just subscriber 45 min ago. I just started on a strict regimen and suppliments after a MAJOR setback :ohwell:. I relaxed my hair every 7-8 weeks and now, I'm trying to make 10 weeks the min. I started bagging with JBCO and oiling my scalp with emu oil, switched to the mildest of mild relaxers (Chi Deep Brilliance Sensitive Scalp) and taking iron and pumpkin see oil suppliments.

Back in high school, I was a 4-5 week perm:naughty: . Turrble. But it's been only 4 weeks since my last relaxer and I have 1 inch of new growth. It's like Hurricane Irene swept me off to Nap Island. I don't know what to do. I don't want to relax after only a month. I MUST wash my hair every 3 days MINIMALLY or I will scratch my scalp off. Braiding it every 3 days is way too much manipulation and I don't want direct heat on it every wash. It's so thick and strong, I can take a strand in my two hands and stretch it a full inch before it snaps.

This last wash was the first time I have had to blowdry my hair in 5 years. I know protective styles are used to stretch, but 4 weeks is NOT a stretch! What do I do to stop myself from running for a blow-out at the salon twice a week? :nono:

To me, the purpose of stretching is to have enough new growth to relax safely without overlapping. If you have enough new growth after 4 weeks or 10 weeks, so be it. I don't think stretching is meant to be based on a calendar, it's about the amount of new growth you have. If you have enough to safely relax, do it.

Oh, hey and welcome :wave:

I'm natural and haven't been relaxed in many years, but I thought the point of stretching relaxers was to limit the use of chemicals because of unpleasant side effects such as irritated scalp and alopecia.

Welcome and HHG!

I hope this doesn't mean that I have to relax my hair once a month, now! :look: :seesaw: What about my scalp health?
If that's a concern than you have to deal with your new growth.

ETA: LHCF 101: Don't come up in here talking about you get 1 inch a month and not share a reggie. :spank:

Last edited:
Welcome! Just wanted to throw out there that I texlax every 4 to 5 weeks like clockwork with a no-lye relaxer and I never have any scalp issues whatsoever. Ever. Not one. Do what works for YOU. Stretching doesn't work for everyone. It makes crazy to deal with two textures and if I ever go natural I will razor my head bald to avoid dealing with it.

I also co-wash on a daily basis. If it works for you than you don't have to stop what you're doing. I think the whole purpose of waiting the 4 to 5 weeks (or however long you wait) depends solely on the person and how quickly the hair is long enough to require a retouch.

Welcome to the board! I obviously do not have that issue...lol however, if you are concerned about your scalp health, I would suggest trying to stretch a little longer. Just as long as it is not causing breakage. When I get to the point that my new growth is around an inch, I start styling differently. Bantu knot sets, braid outs, bunning, sometimes I even weave it up. Do what works best for you and what you feel comfortable with.

and please share that reggie! lol

Here's the BEFORE picture.
tumblr_lr4ckawJ0K1r2j9f8o1_500.jpg

I am going to wash my hair and come back with an AFTER shot so I can get you guys' opinions on if I have enough new growth to relax. I don't want to, buy I would appreciate your opinions.

If that's a concern than you have to deal with your new growth.

ETA: LHCF 101: Don't come up in here talking about you get 1 inch a month and not share a reggie. :spank:

:lol::lol:

I have been taking iron suppliments. I read somewhere that hair does its best around 70 mg/ml even though normal is 50 mg/ml.
I have also been supplimenting with pumpkin seed oil.
I think the most helpful product use was the JBCO weekly overnight hot oil treatments and Emu oil on my scalp.

You can look at my Amazon Listmania List:

http://www.amazon.com/lm/R27UGCY0LBETY/ref=cm_pdp_lm_title_1

This is my protective style right now. A braidout pompador, cornrowed sides and a French braid up in the back.

Sent from my Inspire HD

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1315343711724.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1315343711724.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 201
JeterCrazed thanks for the information about Iron, I have to take iron supplements but every day I forget to take them. they are 80mg.

about castor oil, so you baggying your hair with it overnight? do you apply it on your scalp and/or only on length and tips?

I apply to both the scalp and length. Unless you are wearing a natural-looking hairdo like braidouts or buns, I highly recommend washing it out with a shampoo. It's way to heavy for a heat style and rinsing it just will not do.

Sent from my Desire HD using Desire HD

Patience, my dear. I had to take the braids out first. I'm washing it now. *puts the phone down*

I apply to both the scalp and length. Unless you are wearing a natural-looking hairdo like braidouts or buns, I highly recommend washing it out with a shampoo. It's way to heavy for a heat style and rinsing it just will not do.

yeah I know how it can be too much heavy for fine relaxed hair. but for me(natural hair) it's okay !! thanks for advice !! and waiting for the pic !!

YIKES!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1315347111988.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1315347111988.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 191
  • uploadfromtaptalk1315347244634.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1315347244634.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 204
  • uploadfromtaptalk1315347268537.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1315347268537.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 197
Ultimately its up to you, however, I would feel uncomfortable relaxing at the moment. Can you hold out a little longer? But then again, I usually stretch for 12 weeks, so I am just used to A LOT of new growth...lol

YIKES!

That's it?! PSH!!! lol Jokes. Really though, that new growth looks tamable you just have to get comfortable with it. It's not the enemy. If you don't want to relax, there are plenty of styles you can do in the meantime. I like flexirod rollersets, or regular rollersets in small sections. I'm not afraid to whip out my blow dryer and flat iron and end the foolishness right there. :lol:

PUFF THE MAGIC DRAGON

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1315347933803.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1315347933803.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 186
  • uploadfromtaptalk1315348074222.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1315348074222.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 167
I'm gonna let it air dry in a ponytail, but I'm afraid to think about what it will look like in 8 weeks. I tried years ago to do my own roller set, but it never worked for my whole head. Maybe I'll revisit that. Thank you!

LOL I think you're over reacting. You can still smooth your hair into a wet bun. I think you're just used to having bone-straight hair. :drunk:

Back