The Growth Journey-When Hair Grows (dare I say it) Too Fast

:lol:
The problem is, my hair does not stay pulled back anymore because I got a trim and the back is too short. I look like a 5 year old within hours of walking out into the elements when strands started flailing out the back and sides.

Sent from my Desire HD using Desire HD

Welcome to the boards and thanks for sharing your supplement list. I'll have to co-sign on stretching onward as your NG looks pretty manageable from the pics you posted. See how you feel at 6 weeks.

It's not that I'm used to bone straight hair, I guess I'm not used to my hair actually growing because I go 8 weeks on the regular and this is how my hair looks then! Also, because I cut it, I'm in that awkward length zone. I dunno. Nobody seems to think it's that bad, so I'll hang in there. Especially since it's not breaking at all.

What kind of flexing rollers do you guys use?

Sent from my Desire HD using Desire HD

They're called flexirods. You can find them at about an beauty supply store. There are lots of tutorials on youtube on how to do them. Just search "flexi rods" on Youtube to find them. There's one on my Youtube, but I used the big rods.
sbs-br001.jpg

Your Cheeziness,

Love your vids!! One problem...
I have a teeny patch of recurring breakage. I don't know why, but my hair continually breaks in this one spot even when the rest of my hair is thriving. At least now, my scalp is covered. Should I play ring around the rosie when I relax again? Or will the nappy patch suffer more?

Here is the patch before my last relaxer in Aug...
tumblr_lr67uruCny1r2j9f8o1_500.jpg

And today...
tumblr_lr67t1Tef41r2j9f8o1_500.jpg

This is really the source of my "problem." It can be tough to get a comb thru it sometimes.

Hey girl!:welcome:.....i'm a newly natural head...but i had been relaxed for EEEyears!...did you say that you can stretch your hair a whole length before it snaps??!...sounds like you might need some lite protein.

I was stretching my relaxers for like 10 weeks minimum when i was relaxed...AND i was using that JBCO on the faithful!..and it helped my hair thicken up:yep:...but dealing with two textures i learned to do EVERYTHING in sections...and it became important for me to always do that while i transitioned:yep:.

I hope you enjoy it here! HHG! What are your goals?:)

@ smilingelephant
Thanks so much for the warm welcome!
No, not that far! Lol about an inch. Sometimes a lil less. It has that bungie action. Is that still bad? I did protein yesterday.
My goal is back to shoulder by Dec and BSL by Aug 2012
I wanna get rid of this stupid wack patch!
I want to find a decent leave-in and a clarifying shampoo to add to my regimen.
Sent from my HTC Inspire™

Hey girl!:welcome:.....i'm a newly natural head...but i had been relaxed for EEEyears!...did you say that you can stretch your hair a whole length before it snaps??!...sounds like you might need some lite protein.

I was stretching my relaxers for like 10 weeks minimum when i was relaxed...AND i was using that JBCO on the faithful!..and it helped my hair thicken up:yep:...but dealing with two textures i learned to do EVERYTHING in sections...and it became important for me to always do that while i transitioned:yep:.

I think she means stretching shrinkage from new growth. :yep:

I think she means stretching shrinkage from new growth. :yep:

I mean elasticity strand test.
I use to tug it ever do gently and it would snap. Now its like rubberbandish. :yay:

Uh your new growth looks very "tameable" to me, definitely not due for a relaxer. Also, I would suggest putting that comb down it you're trying to comb through the new growth. Then I would search the forums for topics on stretching, low manipulation styles, protein vs. moisture, breakage vs. shedding, etc. Also I would not (or at least be very careful) relaxing where the breakage is, you're sure to overlap because it's so short. If it is breakage, there is something you are doing (or not doing) to cause it. Breakage is a problem.

@ smilingelephant
Thanks so much for the warm welcome!
No, not that far! Lol about an inch. Sometimes a lil less. It has that bungie action. Is that still bad? I did protein yesterday.
My goal is back to shoulder by Dec and BSL by Aug 2012
I wanna get rid of this stupid wack patch!
I want to find a decent leave-in and a clarifying shampoo to add to my regimen.

I mean elasticity strand test.
I use to tug it ever do gently and it would snap. Now its like rubberbandish. :yay:

I thought that's what you meant:yep:

Yeah...if your hair tends to streeeeetch before it snaps it could be a sign of being overly moisturized.

Iwanthealthyhair67:
It's just that I expected a longer return on my relaxer. I didn't plan on being in crazy hair mode just yet. I'm trying to cut heat to a minimum (once a week on 250 degrees; if it rains, too bad. 2 passes max; make em count)
SmilingElephant: uh oh. I'm doing that killing with love thing :ohwell:
But...I'm in the DC challenge! I don't wanna be a dropout! :nervous:
Maybe I should start DCing with protein. What do you recommend?

Iwanthealthyhair67:
It's just that I expected a longer return on my relaxer. I didn't plan on being in crazy hair mode just yet. I'm trying to cut heat to a minimum (once a week on 250 degrees; if it rains, too bad. 2 passes max; make em count)
SmilingElephant: uh oh. I'm doing that killing with love thing :ohwell:
But...I'm in the DC challenge! I don't wanna be a dropout! :nervous:
Maybe I should start DCing with protein. What do you recommend?

The way it sounds...it sounds like you could just put an egg in a cup of your fave DC and do that for protein. Also...i haven't tried it yet but i'm going to...a lot of ppl recommend the Aubrey Organics GBP conditioner to use as a protein DC.

I tried the Aphogee protein treatment and....it works for others...but i couldn't get down with it.

But you can transform pretty much any DC into a protein treatment by just adding egg to it:yep:

I'm sorry if you said this already...but what do you DC with?

I'm sorry if you said this already...but what do you DC with?

LUSH Jasmine and Henna Fluff Ease
or
CHI Deep Brilliance Moisture Shine

Protein DC with CHI Deep Brilliance Keratin 17

I like Aphogee. Been using it since I was 14. The smell is the part that is difficult to endure. I burst a packet of it in my Dooney bag and it drove me to insanity to figure out the rancid smell ruining the ambiance of my home theatre :lol:
CHI makes a Protein Recon, but I'm trying to cut down on my product junkie ways :nervous2:
I'm just figuring out protein and moisture balance. I use to use protein conditioners blindly not knowing why they helped my hair. All I knew was my hair wasn't behaving correctly so I would use the protein conditioner. However, I always thought stretchy hair was good.
All the good information I ever got about hair came to me in pieces. A stylist once told me that hair should shine without having to put ANYTHING on it. That got me to start DCing like mad, which I needed then. The problem with that was I wasn't using a heat protector when I put heat on my hair or sealing my ends. :naughty:
People would see my hair all shiny and bouncy and say, "Oh my God! What did you put on it?!" And I would proudly say, "Nothing."

That's another reason I'm panicing on what to do about new growth because I'm trained to shun styling products and leave-ins. I put some Paul Mitchell The Cream in it that night and it flattened those naps pretty nicely after airdrying in a wet bun under a scarf overnight. That's not something I'm used to having to do, but now I can see why others are feeling I'm over reacting. I expected my hair to behave after 4 weeks without any product. :look:

I joined this forum because I get good advice to grow my hair from chin to shoulder and then it breaks. After It's already too late, I realize there was some 'I' that wasn't dotted and start over again.

I'm happy to see that bungie action because my hair strands used to break in 5 places. Exploded cortexes all up and down the strand :nono:
I figured out that mixing less activator in the relaxer than the instructions suggest is the best way to relax my hair and everyone needs to find their own ratio.
Then, I look on this forum to find people talking about texlaxing. I thought I invented something :lol:
As strong as my hair grows, it should be classic length by now.

I'm tired of being on some sort of haircare tips rationing like its the great haircare tips depression. I want hair prosperity! :lol:

That's why I joined and I've already gotten my money's worth.

*drops comb* :look:

Lol, sorry it's just not a good move with so much new growth especially if you're a little rough with the comb. Finger detangling is definitely the way to go. And check out the sylver's scarf method, it's helped a lot of us stretch.

Lol, sorry it's just not a good move with so much new growth especially if you're a little rough with the comb. Finger detangling is definitely the way to go. And check out the sylver's scarf method, it's helped a lot of us stretch.

Ooooohhhh thanks!
Thanks, miss*tress!!

I also wanna put out there that in my area, if you go to the doobie shop for a roller set and you get caught having too much new growth, they will usher you to the door and tell you get a perm and don't cone back without one.

So after about 6 weeks, you're in no man's land. They shun you like a leper. Girls will blow dry their hair to trick them because once your hair is wet, you don't have a choice.

I was at the doobie shop about two weeks ago -3 weeks into my Relaxer- and she pretty much gave me the "this is your last doobie, sista" and she talked me into blowing my roots.

Maybe I should move. :lol: this environment isn't conducive to long, healthy hair.

Back