The de-weaving/unbraiding/de-wigging thread *PICS*

Kneechay

* I want this thread to be a group effort where people can post pics of their hair before and after (mainly after) they remove their wig/weave/braids. Sort of like the accompaniment to the Weave it Up/Wig/Braids/Half-wig challenges. List lessons you've learned and give advice.*

I'll go first

:look:
Yeah, so I didn't make it to 4 months, I could only do three and I could've made it to 4, my hair and weave bob was holding up well, but I just really REALLY missed my hair.

You know that feeling of getting deep in your scalp and scrubbing from roots to ends? I missed that. I missed twistouts, I missed buns, I missed it all and to be honest I was tired of straight. I just am semi bored with straight hair now. I saw so many natural heads in the past week that made me want my own hair back. I got my mom to take out my weave and I deep conditioned for like an hour and clarified.

Still, I feel a little weave withdrawal. I'm BSL now (not full, just most of it) and I still feel my hair is short. My hair has thickened a lot and my ends are still great. I realized my stylist used extra hair at the tail of my braid to protect my ends. (Remember this tip, ladies). I am sorry I didnt take several pics of it right after because I wasn't around my camera. Sometimes I liken weaving and wearing your own hair to "the grass is greener on the other side syndrome". I think I'm going to take a little break from weaving to nurture my hair and try lots of new styles. I can't promise I won't hit up Tinnell in a couple weeks, though. :lachen:

I don't know when Ill straighten again, I'm enjoying twistouts, my staple style because it's easy. Being straight for 3 months consecutively became mundane and I felt like I didn't stand out, esp. here in Houston where a lot of people have weave. Thanks to everyone who followed, inquired, and complimented me in this growth with weaves journey. Saying I appreciate you all would be an understatement. I'll still be here to answer any questions about weave care.

I'm doing twistouts now, and I have major shrinkage, but it's ok. I like it. I twist my hair and roll the ends up so they wont rub up against my shoulders much, but they're still shoulder length. I'll post a comparison pic as well. Most of these are from this weekend.

my bff and I at a luncheon
23481_10100232126972564_8300812_621.jpg

then next at a karaoke party with some friends (ignore me super cheesing in this pic, someone told a joke)
23481_10100232619300934_8300812_621.jpg

23481_10100232620383764_8300812_621.jpg

here's a pic a little over a year ago before I started weaving. I used to not think my hair grew, but now I see the difference.
n8300812_50873751_5370.jpg

It fluffed out the next day and got bigger and looked WAY better, but I just did a Jazzings clear rinse today to get shine (and to see if it works) and I retwisted my hair and will post more pics in the upcoming days.

Thanks for taking the time out to read and I hope more people post their hair removal pics!

aww thanks, LiteSkin, I really appreciate it and I'm even more happy to be free. lol

Hopefeull, other members will post pics of their hair after they've removed weaves too.

I don't have a sew-in (yet -- still thinking on it), so I can't play...but I will remember to reinforce my crochet braid cornrows with extra kanekalon next time. That may be why I had some thinning at the ends. :think: Thanks for that tip.

I can't wait till this summer when I can reward myself for doing all this PSing with some twistouts and puffs. :drool:

LOVE the twist-out Nichi!

i will def be posting after i remove this install...gonna try to maintain this until the end of the semester (may).

oh and shout out to Houston :look:

I knew you couldn't hang! lol I'll add my pics/lesson learned next month. I'm still kicking..3 months down, 1 month to go.

I knew you couldn't hang! lol I'll add my pics/lesson learned next month. I'm still kicking..3 months down, 1 month to go.

you're better than me, Ediese! I was soooo bored of straight, I was going crazy! I needed some texture, something!! Good luck on the 4th month, let's see if you make it to 4 without freaking out! LOL

I just took my kinky twists out and this is the first time I have EVER wore my hair in its natural state and I kinda like it in a fro I'm usually running to beauty shop to get my hair pressed I actually have an appointment to get a perm tomorrow but thinking I'm having a change of heart. I can't post a pic because its only in my phone and I haven't bought a camera yet.

Cute thread Nichi. You're one of my faves around these parts. Anyway, I'm 7 weeks post. I've been wearing a half wig since. This week I gave my scalp a break, and started bunning it. It was a great break and my hair is slowly bouncing back from my postpartum shedding setbacks. So now my goal is to go hard on protective styling. The lesson learned is that I need to go back to my gentler detangling techniques.

I dunno if I'll go back to the wig or self install braids/weave for this Easter weekend.

Last edited:
Oh My Goodness!! Your hair makes me want to cry.... Lovely thinking happy and growth thoughts towards your way and mine!!

Nichi you and Ediese are the perfect example of how you can grow your hair out wearing weaves. Good job lady!

I :love: your hair Nichi! *subscibing*I will definitely be posting in here when I get to my 6 month wigging anniversary :yep:

Thank you for starting this thread Nichi. I have been stretching since March '09, but my hair has been in braids since January of this year. Earlier this month, I got box braids and I intend on wearing these for another 2-3 months or whenever I am ready to get a touch up. I am suscribing and will be back to post comparison photos :)

Back