The dangers of jumping on the "band wagon"

sweetcashew

Ok so I've heard such great reviews about Nexxus products that I decided to try it myself. I used Therappe shampoo and conditioned with Humectress. I was sorely disappointed with the results. My hair felt so dry afterwards.
My first instinct was to return it to the store but I decided to give it another try. Well today is the fourth time I've used it. My hair is so dry and crunchy :swearing:. After reading the other thread about Nexxus therappe I eliminated it and used my beloved CON shampoo instead. I left the Humectress on for about 20 mins. Needless to say this conditioner is so bad for my hair it's not even funny.
I've even noticed pieces of hair on my hands when I touch it (wet hair), which has never happened to me before. And there are so many knots too. It's like someone went through my hair and tied little knots all through it :eek: .
Anyway, why is it, that when we have a routine that works for us, we want to go and try other products just because someone else is raving about it?
From now on I'm sticking to what works for me. I really expected this product to deliver!

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. I've had similar experiences with various products that i've heard about.

It's a hit and a miss sometimes. There are times when I read about a great prduct I wouldn't have thought about trying, and I try it and it's fantastic for my hair. Then there are other times when the products have no effect.

Stick with what works for you...your hair is beautiful!

Sorry to hear about your experience as well. I try to get samples of things before i get on the bandwagon but sometimes that doesnt help either. I go out and buy the bottle and it doesnt perfom like the sample did :ohwell:

sweetcashew said:
Ok so I've heard such great reviews about Nexxus products that I decided to try it myself. I used Therappe shampoo and conditioned with Humectress. I was sorely disappointed with the results. My hair felt so dry afterwards.
My first instinct was to return it to the store but I decided to give it another try. Well today is the fourth time I've used it. My hair is so dry and crunchy :swearing:. After reading the other thread about Nexxus therappe I eliminated it and used my beloved CON shampoo instead. I left the Humectress on for about 20 mins. Needless to say this conditioner is so bad for my hair it's not even funny.
I've even noticed pieces of hair on my hands when I touch it (wet hair), which has never happened to me before. And there are so many knots too. It's like someone went through my hair and tied little knots all through it :eek: .
Anyway, why is it, that when we have a routine that works for us, we want to go and try other products just because someone else is raving about it?
From now on I'm sticking to what works for me. I really expected this product to deliver!

Same thing happened to me with therapee, humectress, and headdress. I let my husband have the rest of the therapee and humectress and now use the therapee to clarify my 1 and 3 yr old after they play in the sandbox.:lachen: I heard so many raves about how moisturizing they were... not!!! I had to whip out the CON conditioner and something else to make my hair normal again.:mad: I always have to use back up products to correct what Nexxus does to me. :( The headdress leave in is terrible too. It feels like dishwashing liquid. :lol: I am so not impressed with Nexxus. :nono:

The only nexxus product I would buy again is the botonoil shampoo, and even then for the price . . .:look: Luckily I got the small sizes before I bought the big bottles.:ohwell:

I'm sorry you had a bad experience!!!!! Well this is all about trial and error and finding what works so I guess that is how we find out what does not work in the process. The risk we all take when trying new hair products. Sometimes its best to stick to what works for you. I've found a pretty simple regimen and i'm sticking to it

sweetcashew said:
Exactly!
It's rare that I try something just because "The Board" has raved on and on about it.
I may even go into the store, pick up a bottle of something and stare at the label and think, "Do I want to spend the money on this when I'm doing well with what I'm using??" Sometimes it's yes, usually, no.
My hair does fairly well with what I've found on my own, and usually I'm in the minority on the board with the products and techniques I use, but oh well, the pictures don't lie!

Yea, before I buy something I try to find out the raver's hair type, texture, color treated status. I can only think of a few products that I have bought that my hair didn't like. I am so sorry that it happened to you cashew.

The best thing about this board is that whatever you don't like, someone else will like. Please feel free to sell it on the Swap/exchange board !

sweetcashew said:

was this the "new" nexxus or the "old" one :confused:
Ever since it was sold in Walmart, I have refused to purchase. I knew something was going to be wrong with the "new" nexxus. Sorry that happened to you. :(

ETA: I've only tried Humectress: great at first, but then led to white hair and I tried Keraphix: 10 stars all around, but I havent purchased it since they went retail

This post was great because I feel the same way. I got nexxus therappe because I had been hearing so many good things about it but it put my hair in worst shape than it was in before I used it.

CON saved me.

I think this could be the new one. I got it at rite aid and they weren't carrying it when it was considered a professional line.

It happens to all of us. As humans we are created to 'grow' beyond where we are...hence we try something new. So don't feel bad, anymore. I'm glad that your prior regime works well for you.

I wish you double success with your hair care to make up for the Nexxus experience. You will gain double for all that you have lost. :) Just say, "Amen" and see it happen.

The only thing I regret purchasing was the MTG...it stinks too bad for me. Everything else was cool.

HoneyDew said:
I agree, Nexxus products are no good for me.

Emergencee is the only one that works for me.

AMEN. Emergencee works wonderfully. Therappe was horrible.
Keraphix was ok - i'm selling what's left of mine on the LHCF exchange board (HINT HINT). :D :D :D

ShimmieGirl said:
It happens to all of us. As humans we are created to 'grow' beyond where we are...hence we try something new. So don't feel bad, anymore. I'm glad that your prior regime works well for you.

I wish you double success with your hair care to make up for the Nexxus experience. You will gain double for all that you have lost. :) Just say, "Amen" and see it happen.

That was sweet. Thank you. :)

Hi SC:

ITA. Over the years I've tried just about every Nexxus product. They ALL made my hair dry & hard.

But, I think all my years of PJism (and thousand of dollars) have not gone to waste. I found my product "soul mates" and will (God willing) never again be without them. (<----I just re-read that line and realized how twisted it sounds! I am so grateful for you ladies that understand me! I'm not alone in my madness.......)

:grin:

Dang girl. I'm sorry that happened to you. :( I of all people I know how it feels to purchase something you read about on the board and then the sh*t don't work on my hair. I am a major PJ! :lol: That's why I try to see what type of hair the person that is raving about it has. If they don't have a 4a/4b...I ain't messing with it. Because what works for a 2A or 3A will not necessarily work for me. See if you can sell it on the other board. By the way, the only Nexxus product that I simply rave about is the KeraPhix. but it will only leave my hair nice and silky if I use it with heat. If I try to slap some of that in my hair while I am in the shower, it's a no go for me. I have to end up using my back up conditioners. :mad:

Come to think of it, I HAVE been noticing knots in my hair, and I didnt get them before... I dont know why. I only went back to Nexxus a few weeks ago.

Therappe works most of the time. It's definitely not as moisturizing as CON though. There have been a few times when it made my hair feel stripped:eek: and I dont understand why, since it's supposed to be moisturizing!

I like Humectress a lot though.
I'm about to have my first long strech in a while, I'm thinking of getting a CON bottle on the side for emergencies:look:

Girl, don't I know the feeling!!!! I went out and bought the Keracare Humecto conditioner, needless to say my hair HATES IT, lol I'm sticking with my big ol bottles of Mane n Tail...

CarLiTa said:
Come to think of it, I HAVE been noticing knots in my hair, and I didnt get them before... I dont know why. I only went back to Nexxus a few weeks ago.

Therappe works most of the time. It's definitely not as moisturizing as CON though. There have been a few times when it made my hair feel stripped:eek: and I dont understand why, since it's supposed to be moisturizing!

I like Humectress a lot though.
I'm about to have my first long strech in a while, I'm thinking of getting a CON bottle on the side for emergencies:look:
im telling you, when i used therappe I thought I made a mistake and grabbed my clarifying shampoo.

I never saw results from the hype about Humectress (sp?), and I threw away my bottle of Therappe last year. These products did nothing spectacular for my hair.

I've stopped jumping on bandwagons. So far MTG, Nioxin vitamins, cayenne pepper, NTM, Oyin products, and many more I can't name really don't work for me!

i tried therappe and humectress too! i was sadly disappointed. i took it right back to the store and got my damn money back! i am also disappointed with ORS olive oil shampoo. i have yet to find a shampoo that i love :-(

When I first started on the board, I tried everything within reason. Then, I didn't really have a regimen or particular products so I searched for sort of a hair twin. I looked at pics and kept up with posts. Then I PMed and just started playing around with stuff. Big time PJ for a while, but then I found the products and techniques for me. I'll still try something new, but I've calmed down the PJism some. Family and friends are still asking about when the next product give-away is scheduled because I haven't had one ina while.

carolina_belle said:
When I first started on the board, I tried everything within reason. Then, I didn't really have a regimen or particular products so I searched for sort of a hair twin. I looked at pics and kept up with posts. Then I PMed and just started playing around with stuff. Big time PJ for a while, but then I found the products and techniques for me. I'll still try something new, but I've calmed down the PJism some. Family and friends are still asking about when the next product give-away is scheduled because I haven't had one ina while.

So true for me too! I had no clue as to a regimen for hair so my nose was wide open. :lol: Now 3 months later I've settled into a much calmer approach with a handle of products that really work for me now. The rest are just kinda sitting there waiting for their turn. Except for the bottle of Frizz Busters! That did absolutely nothing for my hair I was so mad after buying that useles product I wanted to throw it out the window! I would never had bought it if it weren't for this board so I can definitely feel your pain. :mad:

The great thing is the "hits," finding that product that really rocks your world and sticking to it. Makes all the "misses" worth it. :lol:

I am SOOOOOO right there with you guys!!!!

I tried Nexxus and it is doing nothing for my hair!! So now I am moving to Carol's daughter to see how that works out. If this doesn't work, I am going to my old stylist and ask her what she used on my hair, because it was always so soft once she was done.

I think Nexxus has taken a turn for the worse. I remember using it years ago and I thought it was the best thing on earth but this last batch I bought about 6 months ago just didn't seem right. My hair did feel drier than normal. Something has definately changed with the way they are making the product.

I tried Nexxus a couple of years ago and my hair hated it. I ended up giving it away. I went back to my beloved Keracare. I just gave away a box of stuff.

Sweetcashew--I'm soooooooo glad you posted this thread.

I've been noticing knots in my hair when I conditioner wash, and ALL I've been using is humectress & headress because they are so highly rated here on the board. I've experienced a major setback by having all those knots combed out. Yesterday, my hairdresser tried to rake through my hair for the rollerset. For three weeks of jus CO washing (no combing) I lost a HANDFULL of hair :cry2: , almost like what my friend lost by taking out his dreads.

So yeah, I gotta stick with what works and stop shopping around like I lost my mind. I'm so upset, I have to do a major chop now!

Back