The Best Straightening Iron...

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
What is the best straightening iron???

Please indicate your hair type and the straightening iron you use, if u use one, in a post. I have a Conair straightening iron (the one with four different slides) and Im thinking about switching because it doesnt straighten my hair very well.

Those who dont use straightening irons, how do u straighten your hair besides blowdrying??

I have a Jilbere Ceramic Flat Iron with a thermostat control on it, you know the dial to change the temp. It's a small one, I find it easier to work with.

My hair type is 4, probably 4b. I have thick, coarse hair.

I have been wanting this Hot tools Flat iron that is 1 inch twide. It is so smalll but does such a wonderful job. Maybe when I am fortunate enough to get a job. I will be able to buy one.

I have the Jilbere Ceramic Flat Iron. I think it's 1/2" wide but it does a superb job at straightening my 4a hair and I am 15 weeks post relaxer. As a matter of fact it looks like I have a fresh relaxer so I am thinking with these results I could extend my relaxer even longer. It's $39.99 at Sally's and it is worth every penny and then some!

I received a Farouk CHI Turbo Mini Ceramic Flat Iron for my birthday. It is .7 inches wide. I love it! It is the very same one my Dear Stylist uses on my hair at the JC Penney Salon.

The flatiron was very expensive - $159.00. But worth it!

northernbelle

Can relaxed hair wearers use straightening "combs" on their hair? I have always heard this is a no-no, but this thread made me wonder if you can use a flat iron to straighten, why not a comb?

To answer the question though, I am 4a/b natural and I use a Gold n Hot temperature controlled straightening comb when I press. Works for me!
wink.gif

i like the gold n hot ceramic iron. i think it depends on the type of comb, if its those old ones that u have to heat up on the stove then that can burn ur hair off but if its a new one with controlled heat settings (i still wouldnt try it) then it shouldnt be as bad

[ QUOTE ]
PrettyBrownEyes said:
pressncurl,

I don't see why we [relaxed heads] would need a straightening comb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the question asked about straightening hair, which can be done with a comb, flat iron, or curling iron. Many naturals opt for the flat iron to straighten their hair instead of a comb. I just wondered it the reverse applied with relaxed heads. You get essentially the same result.

Oh.

Well, I know when I get my hair flat ironed it leaves a nice bend to my hair without a lot of curl. Just a smooth style with movement. When I have it hot curled same sort of thing except there are curls to it. I'm thinking that if it were straightened with the pressing comb there wouldn't really be a shape to the style. Before I had a relaxer when my hair was pressed it was put into some other style afterward, such as followed up with the marcel curlers,to bump the ends.

If one knows what she is doing with a pressing comb, I don't see why not. However, it is going to be pressed, or straightened hair. I have pressed my new growth with a pressing comb in the past, and with no adverse effects, in as far as I could tell.

I am, however, enjoying my flatiron immensely, and will be curious to see how it performs on my hair as I get closer to touch-up time.

northernbelle

I have a jilbere ceramic iron and I noticed that after a while the gold coating on the plated began to rub off. I still use it and it works just fine but I don't know how much better it is compared to any other flatiron. I'm not the only one that this happened to either.

I've seen Jibere pop up alot...I think I'm gonna go try it out...thats when I get some more money
grin.gif

I own a Unil ceramic flatiron. I used it to straighten my hair like in my avatar pic. I love it.
My hair is type 4a med texture. I don't use it a lot but when I do, I get excellent results!

I've said this on another post somewhere, don't get the Jilbere with the felt covering! I don't know whether it's the same for everyone, but the covering comes off mine when it gets hot, and then the clumpy glue underneath gets all over my hair. The results are great though (after I superglued the covers
grin.gif
) - people always think I've got a fresh touch up when I use it - but I think it snags a little. HTH

Back