The audacity, the gall

My GF was telling me that a friend of hers took her 11 year old DD to get her hair relaxed ( dont go there) and asked the stylist how much it was gonna be. She was told $30 and left. Later, the mom called asking how long it would be before she finished and the stylist said she was nowhere near finished.

OK FF mom goes to pick DD up and gives the stylist the $30 that she was quoted, only to have said stylist tell her its $40 instead of $30. Mom wants to know why the $10 price difference in price and was told that her 11 DD authorized it b/c she wanted a blowdry and flat iron. :huh:

Well, needless to say mom had lots to say to that, and then the stylist calls the owner over. The owner says she owes $40 and then wanted to know "Where are you from. What salon do you know that charges a flat rate for their services?" :huh: After that retardedness was dealt with, the owner says "Well just dont pay for the service at all." :huh: Mom says no, you will get the $30 for the service that was rendered at the price that was quoted.

Trip this out. This is a BEAUTY SCHOOL!!!!!!! :nono:

I want to know why you would leave your 11 YO alone in a beauty school while she gets a relaxer! Especially her first relaxer!

At a beauty school??

The few times I went to the two we have in our area it was flat rate unless you were getting a true style (cut, color, etc) that wasn't listed.

And if you were displeased they'd issue refunds, partial refunds, and rain checks.

I would never go there again if I was OP's friend. Smh....

if she had left the kid at a buffet and the kid had ordered a actual meal along with the buffet.... and then you went to pick her up... only to find out that you still needed to pay for the extra meal....

But seriously I don't understand the the title of this post? Who are we supposed to be mad at? The stylist, the kid, or the parent or the owner?

I'm just confused ^_^

if she had left the kid at a buffet and the kid had ordered a actual meal along with the buffet.... and then you went to pick her up... only to find out that you still needed to pay for the extra meal....

But seriously I don't understand the the title of this post? Who are we supposed to be mad at? The stylist, the kid, or the parent or the owner?

I'm just confused ^_^

Personally, Im pissed at the fact that they didnt do what the mom said for them to do and what they quoted her and added an additional service without asking her, especially since shes the one paying, and not the 11 year old child.

I want to know why you would leave your 11 YO alone in a beauty school while she gets a relaxer! Especially her first relaxer!

Ggggggggiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrllllllll u took the words right out of my mouth...

Even if it wasnt her first relaxer I would have still stayed...they could easily be putting it down the length of her hair all types of craziness :nono::nono:

I'm reading this and looking at the screen like...

confused-r7-o.gif

Why would she pay after the owner said she didn't have to??

I think you should pay for what you got done if it was done correctly. I just don't think you should have to pay extra without your consent if you were initially told a definite price. They should have consulted the mother first.

I think the point of this is that they performed services that the mom did not ask for.

An 11 year old child was asked if she wanted more, and of course, the child said yes and that extra cost more.

I don't blame the mom, do what I tell you to do since I'm the one paying and in charge.

I do agree with the poster that I wouldn't have left my child there, unless she had gone several times before and knew the stylist really well.

Why would she pay after the owner said she didn't have to??

Because, IMO, it sounds like the stylist was trying to make it like the woman was trying to find some kind of loophole and get out of paying in the first place or get over on her, and that's insulting when she was just trying to understand 1) how are you going to take an 11 year old's word to do something different and 2) how does a change in style equal an extra $10. My stylist does either or at a flat rate. I'm guessing she paid the $30 because, well first it was the right thing to do but also because she felt like the woman was trying to insinuate that she didn't want to pay from the get go or something.

ETA: Also, now I think your question was rhetorical and my answer was too much:lol:

Last edited:
I think if you feel your 11 year old is grown enough to be at the salon alone, then she's grown enough to add on extra services (and charges) to her visit. I know if I were left alone I'd have tacked on a mani pedi :lol:

Scold the child if it wasn't part of the deal but pay for services rendered.

eta Besides, asking "how much is it for a relaxer" doesn't necessarily mean I want a relaxer and nothing else.

Last edited:
. They should have consulted the mother first.

Exactly.

Don't do anything extra with my child's hair unless you consult me, the mother first.

Although the mom relaxes the child's hair, perhaps she didn't want the extra heat from the blow drying and flat ironing process.

The stylist was wrong for that.

I think if you feel you 11 year old is grown enough to be at the salon alone, then she's grown enough to add on extra services (and charges) to her visit. I know if I were left alone I'd have tacked on a mani pedi :lol:

Scold the child if it wasn't part of the deal but pay for services rendered.

eta Besides, asking "how much is it for a relaxer" doesn't necessarily mean I want a relaxer and nothing else.

Aside from the fact the mom wasnt there, if she inquired about a relaxer and was told that it cost $30, Im sure it was understood to do a relaxer for the $30 charge, ya know?

Most grown adults know that children dont pay for services rendered so they dont get to dictate what will and wont be provided, especially after speaking to mom about what is to be performed on the childs head.

Unpopular opinion but I think it's the mother's fault.... She should have told her daughter what she was paying for before they even stepped a foot into the salon. At 11 the child should know her mother well enough (or perhaps disciplined enough) to know not to ask for something additional without asking first. That fact that the daughter reassured the stylist that her mother wouldn't care if she got her hair flat ironed "for just 10 dollars extra" is not the stylists fault, its the girls. Just as if you were anywhere else, whether an open auction, on ebay, a credit card, signing a school loan, applying for school housing etc, it doesn't matter who has the money, it matter who is taking it upon themselves to ask for something whether they can pay for it or not. Get mad at the daughter next time and pay the full 40 dollars THIS time!

ETA: And this is my personal opinion. Please don't deem it right or wrong. It's just an opinion

Unpopular opinion but I think it's the mother's fault.... She should have told her daughter what she was paying for before they even stepped a foot into the salon. At 11 the child should know her mother well enough (or perhaps disciplined enough) to know not to ask for something additional without asking first. That fact that the daughter reassured the stylist that her mother wouldn't care if she got her hair flat ironed "for just 10 dollars extra" is not the stylists fault, its the girls. Just as if you were anywhere else, whether an open auction, on ebay, a credit card, signing a school loan, applying for school housing etc, it doesn't matter who has the money, it matter who is taking it upon themselves to ask for something whether they can pay for it or not. Get mad at the daughter next time and pay the full 40 dollars THIS time!

ETA: And this is my personal opinion. Please don't deem it right or wrong. It's just an opinion
I know when my mama used to drop me off to get my relaxer I used to BEG for a bang. BEG for it. But mama didnt say I could get one so I couldnt get one. Back then most people knew that you cant defer to a childs demands/wants unless you check with mama first.

Plus, from what I gathered, the child was asked if she wanted the extra service, not the other way around.
And no, I wont jump on you for your opinion!

ETA: OH! Unpopular opinion alert! :lol:

I'm of the opinion that since she left the child there alone, then she should have clearly specified what to do/what not to do. I'm not mad at the stylist for doing what her client wanted (which is the 11 yo, not the mom...and since mom wasn't there...). I'm not even mad at the child for saying she wanted it. Since they charged extra for the blowdry/flatiron, then I'm assuming NO other styling was apart of the relaxer price. I mean she had to get it styled some way. It had to be dried, flat ironed, rollerset, styled some how. Which, I'm guessing, all would have cost extra. Maybe I'm wrong...I'm just assuming.

I'm mad at the mom for leaving the 11 yo there alone. I mean...do new stylists (I say new because if you've established a rapport with the stylist and yall know each other, then I think it's different...like "you know your mama don't want this...") really call the parents of their children patrons to get the 'okay' from them when the child requests something that wasn't specified by the parent? Maybe I've been to too many ghetto salons :lol: but to me, expecting a stylist to care that much is hilarious. I mean maybe if it was an extra $60 for something they may call...idk...but not for a regular style. Not saying it's right but ...:ohwell:

Why wouldn't she?

Maybe I'm missing something but if I got my hair done and the owner said I didn't have to pay I'd take the offer. Businesses don't offer free service all the time so I'd definitely take advantage especially if I wasn't happy with their bait-and-switch :look:

Last edited:
Both of the adults are to blame. The mother for leaving her child alone during a chemical procedure, and the stylist for listening to a child and agreeing to do the service without the mom present. When I used to go to a shop for my relaxers she had a strict policy. She had a sign on the wall that said, "Children not allowed without a parent present". She also had another sign, "children not allowed unless they have an appointment".

It's YOUR CHILD. So be THERE, and be responsible for all decisions.

I saw a Judge Judy episode a few years ago where a child was at her friend's house, went on itunes, and ordered like 50 to 100 songs over the course of a few weeks. The friend's father found out, sued the parent and guess what? Judge Judy ordered the (visiting) girl's father to pay for the songs even though he wasn't there.

Maybe I'm missing something but if I got my hair done and the owner said I didn't have to pay I'd take the offer. Businesses don't offer free service all the time so I'd definitely take advantage especially if I wasn't happy with their bait-and-switch :look:
Assuming this didn't already ruin the relationship between the salon and the customer, not paying ANYTHING would most certainly have them giving her the side-eye were she to ever return. I would have paid the $30 also.

I've never gotten a relaxer done at a salon -- only box perms for me in my relaxed days as a kid/teen :nono:. Do you normally have to pay separately to get your hair styled if you request a relaxer? I was under the impression that getting a relaxer includes a style. I didn't think they just put your hair in a clip/ponytail/bun and send you on your merry way....

If this was at a beauty school then yes they charge extra to use a flatiron. I wonder if she mentioned this to the kid. Either way mom should've been there to make sure nothing extra happened. I'm actually surprised they allowed her to get a relaxer without her mom present. They usually don't do it for kids under 16. I don't think it's the stylists fault. Especially if it was a student stylist. She asked her client if she wanted an extra service and she did.

@lilsparkle825 depends on where you are.
I worked at Louis Licari In NYC and the blow dry wer $50 for a blow out extra. And $150 extra for that cut and curl that only took 30 minutes.

Another few salons I worked at included ONLY a roller set with their relaxers. If you wanted a BLow Dry and curl it is addition or just a blow out.

NOw on the school point. The cosmetology School I went you. Children clients were allowed but parents were not allowed to be in the back with them why, because it was busy and chaotic enough not to have people just standing in the way.So they sat WAy UP FRONT where they really couldn't see.

I personally feel a child of 11 can't make a decision without the parents and before you tack on additional charges you consult the payee. OTherwise she would have gotten a basic rollerset or what ever was included. If the mother wanted me to Blow out and curl that is no big extra for me to do. So I lay the blame on the stylist and it would be her lost.

Where I worked you'd eat that. I had that happen to me before. I learned the person with the card or cash is the person whom I must ask questions to. Give baby girl a phone to make that call. YOu have to think about it as a business the charges wasn't aurthorized. Yes the child was a client but under 18 you still need to consult the parent!

Last edited:
Aside from the fact the mom wasnt there, if she inquired about a relaxer and was told that it cost $30, Im sure it was understood to do a relaxer for the $30 charge, ya know?

Most grown adults know that children dont pay for services rendered so they dont get to dictate what will and wont be provided, especially after speaking to mom about what is to be performed on the childs head.

When I was old enough to be left alone, I'd add on whatever services I wanted that day. When my mom got there, they told her what I had done and she paid.

Again I feel if you think your kid is old enough to be at the salon alone then she's old enough to tell them what she wants done. So I think the mom is more at fault then the stylist here.

Kids should not be looked to to make financial decisions like that, not at 11. The child may not have even known it costs extra. But regardless, you check with the parent before doing ANYTHING other than what the parent requested. Its also pretty normal here for parents to leave their kids at the salon, over 8 or 9.
And yes when they used to give me a price quote for a relaxer it included a style, weather rollerset or flat iron. Updos trims color etc are add ons with a cost.

Sent from my Zio using Long Hair Care Forum App

I'm reading a lot of responses that are asking why the mom left her 11 year old at the salon alone. Many people leave their 11 year olds at home alone, send them traveling alone on planes & all kinds of stuff. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it happens. Doesn't sound out of the norm to me.

It sounds like the stylist just wanted to do something extra to the child's head and used the little girl's "authorization" as an excuse. And I'm also wondering how the blowdry was included in the $10 extra fee. They were gonna relax the little girl's hair and then send her home with a wet head? Be for real. LOL

She left the kid there alone. Momma should have stayed and made sure the stylist just did a simple relaxer. Heck, she lucky it was only 10 dollars extra. The prices some salons charge are ridiculous! :nono: I really am not mad at the stylist, but I am a bit surprised at them. I thought the stylist was a little extra to charge for styling after a relaxer. Do they just slap a relaxer in and rinse out without styling nowadays?:look:

The stylist was dead wrong. The only "extra" thing it seems she did was style the hair. The mother asked the price upfront. The stylist should have told the mother the cost and informed mom that blowdry and flatiron is extra. At that point, mom could have told her how to proceed with styling after the relaxer.

From my own past experiences, when I have asked the price for a relaxer I was told the full price. I have never sat in anyone's chair and had them tell me it will be extra to style the hair after the relaxer.

IMO, either the stylist was trying to take advantage of the kid being there alone without an adult or the stylist needs to learn how to properly quote the price for her services.

The mom was right not to have paid the extra $10 because I wouldn't have paid it either.

No comment on leaving the child alone in the salon.

Back