The audacity, the gall

When the mother called and asked if the stylist was nearly finished, maybe this should have been the time the stylist explained why she was no where near done.

I agree that the child should have been made well aware of what mom was paying for AND also made it clear to the stylist before she left so everyone would be on the same page. Lacking this, the stylist could have mentioned this "extra" service when the mother called and asked for a status update.

I'm reading a lot of responses that are asking why the mom left her 11 year old at the salon alone. Many people leave their 11 year olds at home alone, send them traveling alone on planes & all kinds of stuff. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it happens. Doesn't sound out of the norm to me.

It sounds like the stylist just wanted to do something extra to the child's head and used the little girl's "authorization" as an excuse. And I'm also wondering how the blowdry was included in the $10 extra fee. They were gonna relax the little girl's hair and then send her home with a wet head? Be for real. LOL

Travelling alone before the age of 16 is only allowed if you pay an extra fee to have a stewardess kinda babysit the child and then they won't let the child leave the gate until a pre authorised adult claims them.

And leaving an 11 year old alone in a house is actually illegal in some states.

Last edited:
The child is not old enough to enter into a legal agreement for the service so, her consent is invalid. The mom was correct to pay what she agreed to. For changes to that, they should've at least hit mom up on the cellie for approval of any add'l charges and services.

Extra unpopular opinion alert. Not a good idea to fight over ten bucks in front of your child. It was just ten bucks. Okay so the stylist had no business selling an add on service to a minor. But, if she did an otherwise good job then mama should explain to the child in the car what the stylist did, why it's inappropriate, how she's not happy with that kind of service, and no more accepting add-ons without mama's consent first - ever again. But repeat we're talking ten bucks so I wouldn't have made a scene about it. Repeat it was only ten bucks.

I would never leave my 12 year old at the salon and come back later on. I don't care if it's a stylist I know well.

When I was 11 my aunt dropped me off at the salon. When she walked out my hair was about waist length. When she came back my hair was neck length.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I don't think she should have left her daughter alone. My mom used to leave me alone and then come back and ask me why I let the stylist trim/cut my hair? Umm....because I was a kid... :look: My mom still paid for whatever I got done without making a big fuss.

My son is only eight - he goes for haircuts every week or every other week. I've only left him alone maybe twice in 6 years, and he has a well-established relationship with his barber. I just feel like I need to be there.

Hmm, who in their right mind would let an 11 year old tell them what to do...jusssayin. If that was me i woulda been lookin at the little girl like.."yeah ok" and secondly why even ask an 11 year old what she wants done?? Why did the mom not leave her phone number and if she did why would the person doing the little girls hair not call and ask the mom first? I hate when people think its okay to just do something they were not asked to do and expect something in return smh. When will people start using their common sense...geez..

The appropriateness of leaving a minor alone in a salon aside. . . I haven't been to the salon for a relaxer in a couple of years so pardon my ignorance. . . Was the little girl supposed to leave with her hair wet? After I got a relaxer, I either got blowdry/flatiron or roller set. I didn't have to pay extra unless I also got something like a trim or color.

Extra unpopular opinion alert. Not a good idea to fight over ten bucks in front of your child. It was just ten bucks. Okay so the stylist had no business selling an add on service to a minor. But, if she did an otherwise good job then mama should explain to the child in the car what the stylist did, why it's inappropriate, how she's not happy with that kind of service, and no more accepting add-ons without mama's consent first - ever again. But repeat we're talking ten bucks so I wouldn't have made a scene about it. Repeat it was only ten bucks.

I don't think there had to be a scene in making sure that you are treated fairly in business. Whether ten dollars or fifty, doesn't matter. The 11 yrf old is old enough to learn how to handle such a busines transaction. And I don't think having te manager involved is necesarily creating a scene. We can't count anyone's pockets for them. She may have asked because she's on a budget or maybe she simply doesn't want to be taken advantage of. It does not matter. She was correct and this was an opportunity fr this 11 yr old to learn how to appropriately handle the situation and to expect to be treated fairly as a customer.

It's not about the dollar amount. It's about principalities, Smokey! (In my Big Worm from the movie "Friday" voice).:grin:

If I had left my child at the salon (which my mother did with me all the time) and my daughter got something done that was an extra $10, I would have paid but I would have also told the stylist that it wasn't what I instructed her to do. I also would have told my child once we got in the car that next time she just needs to make sure she asks me before she has something extra done. What if the mother only had $30 on her?

Regardless, in this situation, I probably wouldn't have made a big deal out of it. The little girl is already getting horrible chemicals in her hair, so what's the next worst thing that could happen? If the mother approved a relaxer, no need for her to be hollering over a $10 flat iron and blowdry.

Im just a tad bit confused. I know beauty schools usually charge a little extra for updos, trims, cuts, etc but does a relaxer not include the style? Its absurd to pay for the chemical process and not the style.

I think is this has to be chalked up as a good lesson for all involved. We need to stop assuming that everything is included in one price as there are many examples to show this is not the truth.

Just as an observation, I have been to strictly black salons and majority white salons. The black salons have tended to be all inclusive in their pricing (meaning they won't charge extra for styling, blow drying, etc.) while the white salons seem to use a more a la carte approach to pricing, so yes, flat ironing, blow drying and even shampooing is an extra charge with a cut/trim/dusting.

So, while I do think the stylist should have explained that "finishing" services cost extra, the mother also bears a bit of responsibility in not asking enough questions. This also makes me think, the mother had no role in the final hair styling. When my mom took me to the hair dresser for services at that age, she always specified how my hair was to be styled so there were no surprises.

What if this was a boy and the barber decided to listen to the child and cut all kinds of designs in his head?

I don't agree with leaving your child alone in a salon, but I also don't agree with the stylist doing things without the mother's consent. Everyone was wrong.

The price quote should include styling. That's standard for Black hair styling anyway. I know the mom assumed it would. Only trim or deep conditioning treatments are add on. Plus the child is probably in the 6th grade. Frontal lobes and ability to make appropriate judgment is still developing at that point. How people on this board have been coerced in the stylists chair. The stylist tries to take advantage for an extra $10. It's a good lesson for teaching the daughter about shading business practice.

The appropriateness of leaving a minor alone in a salon aside. . . I haven't been to the salon for a relaxer in a couple of years so pardon my ignorance. . . Was the little girl supposed to leave with her hair wet? After I got a relaxer, I either got blowdry/flatiron or roller set. I didn't have to pay extra unless I also got something like a trim or color.

I haven't been in a while either, but I believe it's extra for blow drying and flat ironing because it's more time-consuming. It's easier for the stylist to wrap your hair and have you sit under the hair dryer. Plus, the stylist can work on other heads while you're under there for almost an hour.

Back