The African Wedding Thread

lushcoils

This thread is all for having a traditional African wedding and/or African themed reception. :grin: Where my Africans at??? Any one here have an African wedding or want one?

I'm going to a traditional Nigerian wedding in a few weeks. And I decided that I will be having a traditional wedding (along with an American wedding) when the time comes. :look: (I'm thinking of having them on the same day to save time and money).

What kind of material are you going to use? How are you going to design your dress? What kind of material are you going to use for your wedding party? How are you going to style your hair (especially if you do the traditional wedding)? African Music that must be played? Going to have a destination wedding in Africa? Food that will be served?

Most of the Nigerian weddings I have been to are LARGE and LAVISH... I need tips on how to keep costs low because I'm gonna be forced to have a medium/large wedding. Being Nigerian, there's no way around this. :lachen:

Some links:

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-09-30/....ceremony_1_wedding-wine-ceremony?_s=PM:WORLD

traditonal nigerian wedding explained

traditional igbo wedding video

Let's discuss.

Oh, and pictures please. :grin::grin:

Me and SO have talked about marriage, he is AA. I'll probably have a tradition Ghanaian ceremony back home in the UK and do the traditional white dress ceremony in the US. I would LOVE to get married in Ghana but i think the majority of people i want to be at the wedding are in the UK. I wanted a small wedding but i don't think that would be possible back home lol.

Great thread!

I actually wrote an article in planning an African- inspired wedding on a budget: http://www.yourbridalstop.com/plann...wedding-on-a-budget-african-inspired-weddings

My cousin had a Nigerian/ Carribean wedding last year and it was beautiful! Her husband is Nigerian and he had someone in his family make the beautiful gowns and outfits for the bridal party. If you're also interested in hairistyles for the wedding, I also posted African American hairstyles and braids on my blog as well! http://www.yourbridalstop.com/weddi...airstyles/african-american-wedding-hairstyles

Let me know if you have any questionsI'll try to come up with some ideas. :)

I had one and I loved it! It was in Nigeria and it was so interesting and fun. I think back home is the best place for trad weddings.

Subbing!

I would love to have a traditional Nigerian wedding...the older I get, the more I appreciate my culture :yep: I truly think that Nigerian wedding are some of the most fun and most creative!

I might have the engagement party here in the States then the wedding in Nigeria so I can get whatever gifts I can. lol. My parents are ready I just need to find a victim...er man.

I am Nigerian American and would like to have the traditional in Nigeria but I realize that will be super expensive. I may just have both here in the States.

Last edited:
Taken from ET - Marcus Samuelsson and Wife - Traditional Ethiopian

2mcgj2u.jpg

2hq57hw.jpg

My fiance' is from Liberia and I am Black American from Virginia, so I'm looking forward to incorporating Southern comforts as well as West African traditions into our wedding... Just found a Liberian caterer in my hometown who specializes in Southern style American food as well... #excited!!... wish me luck!

Oh how I could've used all this good information when I got married 10 years ago! I was SOOOO lost...I just gave up and let my dad take over :perplexed :lol:

Back