The 1st Time I wore half/whole wig ...

curlmama

I am considering wearing my half wig to work (I wear it on the weekend and I always wear a wash n go with KCCC on my natural hair to work). But I am really nervous about showing up with this fake--but cute--hair on my head and how my students and their parents will respond.
So...How did you do it? What did people say the first time they saw you with your protective style?

I am considering waiting until Christmas vacation and then it won't be such a big deal 'cause they won't have seen me in 2 weeks.

It was easy for me. I work with all men and they don't know the difference. I can wear a short wig today, long wig tomorrow and it wouldn't even matter. They wouldn't have a clue

I feel this way as well. I would love to wear a wig to work and school but I feel weird about showing up one day with all this extra hair. Maybe starting out with something close to your current hair length would make you feel more comfortable.

i work with ppl that are so used to seeing me with different hairstyles and that rarely see my hair anyway. And with my half wig now ppl think its my own hair bcuz they know that ive been transitioning. Like today im at dancing class and one of the girls in the class is behind me and is like how did u do that to ur hair. I lean over and tell her its a half wig she just stands there and looks at me in disbelief or something and is relaly like no really how did u do it im like no its a wig. LOL. Then last night i had a college school mate i hadnt seen in like years i mean like 10+ years and i walk up to her and hug her and shes like how did u do that to ur hair no hello how are u or nothing LOL. Its funny cuz im like oh wow this is really crazy cuz this is like almost the 3rd person thats asked me this.

But if you blend it really well and can match it to ur hair then it will work very well. The thing is just claiming it honey not making it seem like its fake u know. I used to be so self conscious when wearing wigs and half wigs, now i just wear them like its nothing to it..

ITA ^^ I always wear for full wigs---freetress wigs because they are so close to looking like weaves its crazy....those are the main ones i stick with all the time know matter what...http://store.goldenmartbeautysupply.com/shngofuba.html

Last edited:
I had this concern as well. I stressed myself out over it. In the end it was sooooo unnecessary.

Everyone thought it was cute. I had a few questions about what it was. Most people thought it was a weave. I mean the difference in length was noticeable. So after fielding a few questions, I went on with the rest of my day. When other random people noticed they just said "oh you changed your hair, it looks nice"

I guess the take away from my post is that you're probably worrying about it more than necessary. If its cute, I say go for it.

Last edited:
who do you work with (as in race). The funniest thing is that I did not know how clueless whites were about hair and it makes me feel a little better about wearing a half-wig

I work with my old roommate and she is always complementing me on my hair and how much she loves it. Mind you, this is the SAME chic who live with me for a year and saw my real hair and should know the difference, but she doesn't. She asked me how I get it wavy every day and I told her it was a braid-out :giggle: Another girl straight up started playing in my hair!!! She still didn't realize anything was up:blush:

I doubt people will notice the change that much...but you will probably get complements!

I don't care about them knowing it's fake, I care about them knowing it's a WIG. As long as they think it's a sew-in, I'm good to go :yep:

Half wigs are better for camouflaging than wholes though.

I say go on and work that hair girl! The worst that could happen is the platnium question: "Is that your real hair". Right???

Thanks everyone! You are right, I am just going to put it on and go--that's easy for me to say today while I am at home--but I am sure I will have to talk myself into it in the morning!:drunk:

Do what makes you feel comfortable. If you want to wait a couple of weeks over the holidays and break them in to the new you, do that. Or if you feel a little "frisky" jump right in! Either way, it's what you want and you'll look good!

Now I have to say something about ajacks' avatar. I love the baby baldness doo. Every baby has that same bald spot from rubbing their heads when lying down. It gave me a nice chuckle.

My boss and coworkers couldn't even tell the difference. They thought it was mine but I stick closely to what my hair looks like anyway

I did it! I bought another half wig from the local BSS and I wore it today. All I got was compliments! I got a length that was short so it could seem like I flat ironed my hair and I put fake flat braids in the front (I parted my hair and put in 6 two strand twists that I pulled back and tucked under my wig cap). Her is a picture from hairsisters.com of the wig it is by sensational HZ-7005. I put a little baby powder in it to dull the shine but it was not too shiny.

i wore mine and wear mine...but i didnt worry about what other people thought...and i work in a place where sometimes things are politcally INCORRECT...i work for the NFL so my guys (giants, bucs, texans) talk majorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr stuff.... i was concerned it was gonna fly off in the wind....or as much as i move around it would be crooked...dont let others thoughts influence you on how or what you wear..wether it be HAIR or clothes...DO YOU.

who do you work with (as in race). The funniest thing is that I did not know how clueless whites were about hair and it makes me feel a little better about wearing a half-wig

I work with my old roommate and she is always complementing me on my hair and how much she loves it. Mind you, this is the SAME chic who live with me for a year and saw my real hair and should know the difference, but she doesn't. She asked me how I get it wavy every day and I told her it was a braid-out :giggle: Another girl straight up started playing in my hair!!! She still didn't realize anything was up:blush:

I doubt people will notice the change that much...but you will probably get complements!

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

No she did not play in your hair! lol! That's my biggest fear, my friends sticking their hands in my hair and finding out it's a wig but after you sharing that she still did not know it was a wig... That's no longer a concern for me! Thanks for sharing

who do you work with (as in race). The funniest thing is that I did not know how clueless whites were about hair and it makes me feel a little better about wearing a half-wig!

:yep::yep: this is what made me comfortable to wear mine in the office. It's mostly white males and they don't know squat!...so i've been wearing half wigs and my own length in rotation (my wig is near my current length..but much fuller)

...but recently a young white female was hired. and since then i've been apprehensive to wear my wig now-a-days. i think she'll notice and start yappin' her mouth around the office that i wear one. idk...i'll see

Well I am still in high school, and I am transitioning myself. You know how cruel us young folks can be when they find out something that can be used against you as a joke. No one could tell the difference! I got my wig from eBay for 20.00. eBay is a great place to get a wig (at least for me.) I always get full wigs from there always in Jet Black or Off Black. I only get full wigs because that way I don't have to worry about matching up my hair with any color like I would have to do with a half wig. Yep. I wouldn't hesitate. Who cares what anyone else thinks? If they say anything negative about your doo, then they must be hating because they wish they had the confidence to rock a wig.:yep:

I work around alot of white males, and they are as dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to black hair. I will wear a short half-wig one week and switch it up to a long one the next week and they still think it's my hair. They tend to really give me compliments when I wear my "kinky curly" wig. They think it is my natural hair.

Anyhoo, I was hesitant at first, I felt like everybody was looking at me..(and not in a good way) I would go in Walmart and it seemed like all eyes were on me. I think I was just self-conscious. After a few weeks of wearing them, I got used to it and could care less what others thought. I now will pop one on in a quick second and care less.

Back