That's it, I am heat training my hair!

dicapr

I have had to chop from APL back to 2 inches past SL for the SECOND time this year! The culprit is those pesky single strand knots. My hair is breaking at the ends where the knot forms. I have done twists, box braids (no hair added), wet bunning, ect. I have retained only about 2 inches this year. My hair is coily and makes knots no matter what I do. I do not like being at the mercy of a relaxer, so I plan to heat train my hair. I am going to DC and do a moisture treatment weekly. I will flat iron weekly until the curls start to sag or straighten. I will then go to pressing 2x a month. If this doesn't work, I am going back to relaxing every 4 months.

Uh what is "heat training"? Rhetorical. I'm a frim believer that there is no such thing as "training" hair. I do believe that one can damage his/her hair thereby creating the illusion of "training".

Good luck with whatever you choose. No matter what, keep your hair as healthy as you can for your method/routine/regimen.

Thanks. Yeah heat training is technically damage. But I really want to stay away from chemicals and my hair is not feeling the napptural life. I have to cut 2 inches of knots every 3 months. I should have been close to BSL right now instead of growing it to APL for the third time next year :wallbash:.

I'm in the same boat as you. no matter what I do I have single strand knots that make me have to cut them out. I've alread straightened once to knock out some of the curl. I liked how it turmed out because to the eye I can't really tell the difference, but it is alot easier to detangle and manage. I'm thinking about straightening my hair a few more times to get more of the kink out, but I haven't decided yet.

You should DC, apply an oil or sheabutter to the ends, and rollerset if you're going to flatiron your hair. For me, rollerset hair lasts longer and keep my ends protected. I just bought a Rusk heat protectant yesterday and hopefully I like it.

Oh by the way, have you tried ponytails or bunning?

Do what you think that's best! There are plenty of women who have heat stretched/trained hair that is healthy. :) You may have trouble wearing curly styles, but you can always do braidouts, etc.

I'm sorry you are going through this. I don't have an issue with knots. Are you wearing your hair in wash and go's primarily that could be contributing to the knots, I find my hair thrives better when it's in low manipulation styles, like twists, flexi-rod sets, twist out and braid out. I enjoy the versatility of non heat trained hair, one flat iron should help loosen the curl for you, or have you thought about using baking soda?

I have had to chop from APL back to 2 inches past SL for the SECOND time this year! The culprit is those pesky single strand knots. My hair is breaking at the ends where the knot forms. I have done twists, box braids (no hair added), wet bunning, ect. I have retained only about 2 inches this year. My hair is coily and makes knots no matter what I do. I do not like being at the mercy of a relaxer, so I plan to heat train my hair. I am going to DC and do a moisture treatment weekly. I will flat iron weekly until the curls start to sag or straighten. I will then go to pressing 2x a month. If this doesn't work, I am going back to relaxing every 4 months.

Hi there,

First, I am so sorry to hear that this is happening to you. I so know what a pest those darn knots are. I attempted to heat train my hair with hard presses last year only to end up with major damage. Not saying that this will happen to you but the stylist that did my hair well she did train it but the damage I suffered was heartbreaking. I wish I would have known about using a flat iron instead of a hot comb(never had a press before). I did the big chop in Jan. and texturized this past Oct(I hate it btw). However, I am relaxing bone straight later this month. I plan on transitioning this time around b/c all the times that I have big chopped they have been forced and the length/shrinkage made me totally uncomforable. I can say that my hair was the longest it has ever been natural. The first time I big chopped I went from a twa, with several trims in between, to slightly passed sl(more like collar bone) in a little over a year. When I had my hair pressed for the first time at a local salon I darn near fainted when my hair hit my collar bone :grin:.

I'm sorry you are going through this. I don't have an issue with knots. Are you wearing your hair in wash and go's primarily that could be contributing to the knots, I find my hair thrives better when it's in low manipulation styles, like twists, flexi-rod sets, twist out and braid out. I enjoy the versatility of non heat trained hair, one flat iron should help loosen the curl for you, or have you thought about using baking soda?

I haven't tried baking soda yet. I am tired of having no flexability in styling my hair. I cannot do wash and gos, puffs, and twists do nothing to combat my single strand knots. I bun everyday, only to cut all my progress of every few months.

I haven't tried baking soda yet. I am tired of having no flexability in styling my hair. I cannot do wash and gos, puffs, and twists do nothing to combat my single strand knots. I bun everyday, only to cut all my progress of every few months.

What do you mean by you can't do? Do you mean you don't know how to style twists and such or you just don't like how they look? If you are going to use heat often I wouldn't use it more than twice a month. And make your you deep condition like crazy, use protein more often, put something like coconut oil on your ends also, and you will have to trim more often because your ends will probably split more often. HTH

Yay! Presser. That's what I have been suggesting instead of going back to relaxers. I think your initial plans are too aggressive though. Not every week with the heat. Most healthy haired press folks I know go max every 2 weeks.

I hate these knots too. I just don't know what to do. I like my naps but I want to start retaining more length but I don't want to be a straight hair person. but options are limited. I cut knots everyday.

What do you mean by you can't do? Do you mean you don't know how to style twists and such or you just don't like how they look? If you are going to use heat often I wouldn't use it more than twice a month. And make your you deep condition like crazy, use protein more often, put something like coconut oil on your ends also, and you will have to trim more often because your ends will probably split more often. HTH

I can do the styles, but the hours of detangling and cutting big knots out of my hair are not worth the style. I DC weekly. I only plan to use heat weekly for a month to speed up the process. I was a press and curl girl every 2 weeks for 5 years with minimal stretching. My hair will not be trained using heat every two weeks-I tried that before.

you might want to check out curlynikki.com.... she does this style called the twist and curl that stretches out your ends to reduce knots... it must work because her hair is fabulous.... check it out before you make a decision :yep:

I think the only way you can heat train your hair is by using pressing combs with steel in it. The steel does something to the hair but umm, not that I am recommending it cause it is damaging. But if you are going to damage it, why not telax or relax since it will basically be the equivalent of heat training?

You are aware that this may result in your hair having no curl pattern after doing this for so long?

My mother is old school and I watched her was and press her hair all my childhood and her hair was BSL. When she washed it, it was still kinky. Not that I am reccomending that you do this, but it is possiable,however, it is tricky and it is like playing russian roullette with hair damage. That is why I gave up the idea of texlaxing, because it takes you messing up one time for you to have stick straight hair. I would go with the heat training or damage thing because at least you will have texture in your hair and you could do twists until the damage grew out if it was too bad. You wouldn't have to start all over going natural again if you know what I mean.

I think the only way you can heat train your hair is by using pressing combs with steel in it. The steel does something to the hair but umm, not that I am recommending it cause it is damaging. But if you are going to damage it, why not telax or relax since it will basically be the equivalent of heat training?

You are aware that this may result in your hair having no curl pattern after doing this for so long?

No pressing ones hair is not the same is laying chemicals on ones hair. Yes you will be breaking certain bonds that help the hair hold its curl or kinky pattern but they are two totally different processes. You get a similar no kink or curl result but the differences between the processes are massive.

:)

Please do what's best for you. There is a thread for strait haired naturals somewhere. I hope you find a happy solution to your problem.

That's not true. I have friends who have long natural "heat trained" hair from flat ironing not pressing.

And IMO, chemically straightening hair and altering the hair over time with heat are two different things. Not to mention, if a person relaxes and flat irons semi-regularly, they get the same affects of the heat that natural hair does. It just doesn't show because the hair has already been straightened by the chemicals. But the effects are there... So relaxing is really no better.

Originally Posted by chicacanella

Where on earth are you getting your information from?:spinning:
This is sooooooooooooooooooo untrue! I have been pressing my natural hair for 10 years with a hot comb! And my hair is not heat-trained and its doing just fine. It kinks up back to its natural state as soon as moisture hits it!
And I have no problem retaining length! It's all about how well you are willing to take care of your hair if you decide to use heat on a regular basis!

No pressing ones hair is not the same is laying chemicals on ones hair. Yes you will be breaking certain bonds that help the hair hold its curl or kinky pattern but they are two totally different processes. You get a similar no kink or curl result but the differences between the processes are massive.

:)

Yeah, you are right. I guess I am just looking at the fact that the results are the same. Heck, I might go back to heat training my hair cause' I don't like the fact of using chemicals. That is the main difference to me, the results are the same but the chemical part of relaxing I don't like.:nono:

That's not true. I have friends who have long natural "heat trained" hair from flat ironing not pressing.

And IMO, chemically straightening hair and altering the hair over time with heat are two different things. Not to mention, if a person relaxes and flat irons semi-regularly, they get the same affects of the heat that natural hair does. It just doesn't show because the hair has already been straightened by the chemicals. But the effects are there... So relaxing is really no better.

Yes, they are two different processes but I think over time, telaxing and heat training have the same result.

I wouldn't say they get the exact same results because natural hair swings more or is just different even after flat ironing. Not speaking of heat trained natural hair though. It seems like relaxing takes the bulkiness out of your hair or thins the strands.

I don't think relaxing is better but I am just suggesting that if she wants to heat train, the results with relaxing/telaxing may be similiar. But even though heat training is damaging I believe that all in all, it is better than using a relaxer.
Where on earth are you getting your information from?:spinning:
This is sooooooooooooooooooo untrue! I have been pressing my natural hair for 10 years with a hot comb! And my hair is not heat-trained and its doing just fine. It kinks up back to its natural state as soon as moisture hits it!
And I have no problem retaining length! It's all about how well you are willing to take care of your hair if you decide to use heat on a regular basis!

I never said people who heat train don't retain length. That wasn't the issue and I know because my hair was heat trained all through elementary school and the lady grew it to BSL with blowdrying, pressing and Le Kair products. Every two weeks also.

I'm just suggesting that if she is going to do heat training to reduce the kinks or knots that telaxing/relaxing can give the same results.

And when I was heat trained my hair did not kink back up. It just looked like someone who had frizzy hair that hit the water but I did have any curl pattern or anything.

if there is such thing... i want to heat train my hair too!!.. i just know im going to DC hardcore everytime i plan to apply that 400 degree flat iron to my hair. which willprobably be often bcuz as im transitioning (75%there)... i dont ever plan on wearing my hair in natural styles.. so if thats waht its called.. it will be heat trained. lol

good luck dicapr!!

I wouldn't do that. My hair is heat trained and I hate it. Just relax or texlax if it bothers you that much.

Or keep your hair super moisturized.

I think it depends on technique. Pinkskates regularly straightens her hair but it's not heat trained but there are other who do it and their hair doesn't kink back. If you don't care about wearing your hair in natural styles I say go for it. Just make sure you have a good mix of protein and moisture and deep condition at each wash. And keep those ends trimmed if you have splits!!!! To me wearing your hair in primarily pressed styles is much different from relaxing. I stopped relaxing for scalp issues so even if I wanted to wear my hair straight all the time I would just wear a press, relaxers really messed up my scalp

I wouldn't do that. My hair is heat trained and I hate it. Just relax or texlax if it bothers you that much.

Why haven't you relaxed then? Or are you transitioning out of your heat trained hair? Just curious.

I'm just learning how to take better care of it. I'm trying my best to only flat iron once or twice per month instead of once per week.

I'm thinking about relaxing BUT I wouldn't even know where to start since I've been natural for YEARS.

Why haven't you relaxed then? Or are you transitioning out of your heat trained hair? Just curious.

I plan to keep my hair super moist. Relaxing messes with my scalp. I usually burn and have scalp issues and excessive dryness. I just do not want to have to deal with that anymore. I do not plan to train it to be bone straight, just stretched. I know from previous experence that my hair can take alot of heat without damage. I got my first relaxer at 16 and all those years of blow drying and then pressing with a stove top pressing comb with grease didn't hurt my hair. I think now I know about leave ins, DC, and heat protectants my hair should thrive with heat. Not everybody's hair can take heat like mine. Even after all of those years of pressing, the texture did not change very much. It kinked up every time I washed-once a month :nono:. And yes, I pressed my hair dirty and touched up the edges weekly.

Back