That Hairstylist Lied!!!

lnhair

My friend at college was and still is suffering from severe breakage. She got a relaxer in december 2006 right before Christmas and when she got back to school in Jan 2007 her hair was falling out in clumps. It would be all over clothes and the floor and when ever she touched her hair or combed it. She asked my advice and the problem being so bad i could not tell if she lacked moisture or protein. I suggested we try a mild protein and a moisturizing product and then determine which helped the best. Just to analyze. She had only $6 dollars to spend. I said try the mane n tail conditioner, so if it is protein that you need we can get a protein treatment if needed. If it is moisture that you need an Ors pak will reveal it. So we used the Ors pak first and the breaking slowed immensely. So i turned to her and said that its moisture that you need. I also said that she could use the mane n tail conditioner every once in a while since she really didnt need protein but moisture. She said she started using the mane n tail once a week as a leave in. She went to get her next relaxer a could of weeks ago, probably 2 weeks to be exact. The hairstylist told her the real reason for all her breakage was mane n tail and to stop using that product. I know this to be a lie because it was breaking way before this product came into use by my friend. She has been using the reccomended products by the hairstylist and it is stil breaking. So do you all think that mane n tail can ruin your relaxed hair.

She bought the products from the stylist which were Paul Mithcell Shampoo and Conditioner. The stylist only charged her $15 dollars for the two items together. My friend says that the shampoo makes her hair feel really dry.

I would say that her hair is suffering from dryness. Personally, I think Paul Mitchell makes great styling products like their Pomade or Skinny Serum, but their shampoos and conditioners leave much to be desired. I've never had a good experience with them.

I wouldn't say that the stylist flat out lied, but she definitely has tunnel vision and she doesn't listen well. I wouldn't go back to her.

Your friend needs a new stylist. One who LISTENS! Obviously Mane N Tail was not to blame, that hairdresser just wanted to make a quick buck by having your friend buy products from her. Your friend needs moisture, and Paul Mitchell is clearly not moisturizing her hair. Tell her to throw the shampoo, conditioner AND that stylist away!

It seems to me that the key problem is moisture. You said that the breakage slowed down immensly after the conditioning treatment. TOO much protien used improperly will break anyone's hair. For starters, tell your friend to drink more water and turn her onto LHCF. If nothing else she can learn about healthy haircare for herself. At the very least, she can learn some great and CHEAP alternatives to Paul Mitchell. Oh... IMHO I think she should RUN away for her current hair dresser because she doesn't seem to have your friend's hair health in mind.

tiffers said:
Your friend needs a new stylist. One who LISTENS! Obviously Mane N Tail was not to blame, that hairdresser just wanted to make a quick buck by having your friend buy products from her. Your friend needs moisture, and Paul Mitchell is clearly not moisturizing her hair. Tell her to throw the shampoo, conditioner AND that stylist away!

LOL at the last sentence :lol:

I have never had a problem with Mane 'n Tail.

Sorry the Paul Mitchell products didn't work. I've never had a problem with them.

I use Paul Mitchell Foaming Pomade but the shampoos I've tried by them have made my hair very dry. Your friend might want to try finding a new stylist one that listens.

ORS pak is both a moist and a protein...so, if she used it and the shedding stopped immensely, I'd say she needs both.

I would recommend she do one of the following

1. use the Aphogee kerative (the one you use under the dryer) for protein ... then the keracare humecto or ORS hair mayo for moisture...
IF that's to expensive...

2. ORS repl pak as a protein...then do an oil (hot six, veg, olive oil just some kind of oil for moisture) conditioner

Use each conditioner for an hour, and use a MOIST leave in to seal it ... ( pink oil moist, cantu cream leave in, vitapoint ) ...and clip her ends to start over, plus tell her about LHCF or guide her to making good hair care decisions... the stylist should KNOW what works for most, turn her on to that, if it dont work try other things specific for her hair, she should be working with her NOT continually using something that doesnt work

Last edited:
Those ladies who had bad experiences with Paul Mitchell, are you sure you were using the right shampoo/conditioner? All of my shampoos/conditioners have to say one word: MOISTURIZING!

He has large collection of shampoos and you guys might have grabbed the wrong one, and I know the Humectress is excellent for black hair.

Hmmm her hair was not falling out as bad when you aided her...seems to me that is what she needs to stick with. I wouldn't listen to the hair dresser if her hair was falling out in clumps prior to, but sometimes you have to let people learn. You aided her as best you could, now she can either take your advice, which helped her hair, or the advice of her stylist that had her hair falling out.

thicknlong said:
I would recommend she do one of the following
  1. use the Aphogee kerative (the one you use under the dryer) for protein ... then the keracare humecto or ORS hair mayo for moisture...
I always thought that the ORS hair mayo was protein. Am I wrong? :confused:

Also the Motions Plus Moisture Conditioner is relatively inexpensive and good for moisture as well. I would also recommend your friend get on a weekly deep conditioning regimen to instill moisture into her hair.

sunshinebeautiful said:
[/list]I always thought that the ORS hair mayo was protein. Am I wrong? :confused:

Also the Motions Plus Moisture Conditioner is relatively inexpensive and good for moisture as well. I would also recommend your friend get on a weekly deep conditioning regimen to instill moisture into her hair.

I've read on the board some who use it as so...I look at the ingredients and with the glycerine and oils, I would used it as a moisterizer...But the board is probably right....

I would do moitions moisture plus as a cheaper moist conditioner and Keracare humecto if she has more $

thanks for the callin me on that

Her stylist reccomended the shampoo called Awapuhi and the conditioner is called "the conditioner". I dont know if these are the right ones to use. I have never used these products. But like i said the stylist reccomended these.

Blossssom said:
Those ladies who had bad experiences with Paul Mitchell, are you sure you were using the right shampoo/conditioner? All of my shampoos/conditioners have to say one word: MOISTURIZING!

He has large collection of shampoos and you guys might have grabbed the wrong one, and I know the Humectress is excellent for black hair.

I was JUST about to post this!

My hair loves the Paul Mitchell Moisturizing line (it loved the Super skinny line too).

I'm going to try the Super Skinny line. I may have to order it on-line, though. I'm having a hard time finding it in the stores/salons.

I don't know about The Conditioner. I just went to a website and it says "moisturizing".

Another question is, what type of relaxer was used on your friend's hair? I'll re-read your initial post just in case this question hase been answered.

It sounds like a "step" was missed during the application of the relaxer.

I dont know the womans name but she has been seeing her for about year now. I asked my friend what relaxer the lady is using and if she has switched brands on her or did the lady switch from no-lye to lye or vice versa but my friend has no idea. This a long complicated story with her stylist. Her previous stylist before this one was over processing her hair and what is crazy the old stylist and the new stylist work in the same salon. I think she should have changed salons. These stylist seem to be sabotaging her hair.

Blossssom said:
I'm going to try the Super Skinny line. I may have to order it on-line, though. I'm having a hard time finding it in the stores/salons.

I don't know about The Conditioner. I just went to a website and it says "moisturizing".

Another question is, what type of relaxer was used on your friend's hair? I'll re-read your initial post just in case this question hase been answered.

It sounds like a "step" was missed during the application of the relaxer.

I looked at the bottle of conditioner and it says that it is a leave-in moisturizer and conditioner. It is being sold at folica.com if you want to see the product. I had never heard of it either until she brought it to school.

Last edited:
lnhair said:
I dont know the womans name but she has been seeing her for about year now. I asked my friend what relaxer the lady is using and if she has switched brands on her or did the lady switch from no-lye to lye or vice versa but my friend has no idea. This a long complicated story with her stylist. Her previous stylist before this one was over processing her hair and what is crazy the old stylist and the new stylist work in the same salon. I think she should have changed salons. These stylist seem to be sabotaging her hair.

I think this is where the true problem lies... :(

If the old stylist looks at the book and sees your friend's name... she could be sabotaging the product.

Your friend should just get out of there. I pulled a "switcheroo" at a salon once, and it made everybody uncomfortable.

She put a relaxer on damaged hair. Oh the horror. If her hair was falling out in chunks and clumps she should have started all over again. She must have very uneven hair.

I started a thread in January I believe when she first told me she(my friend) was having the problem with her hair and i got great advice. She did not really take it to heart but i could tell that something was not right with her relaxer. When this lady first started doing her hair it came out so smooth and straight. Now everytime she gets a relaxer it never gets straight. Within a strands you can see sections where she missed and did not apply relaxer and it is curly. It can be straight at the root and you can go further down the strand and see where it is kinky at and then goes back straight. This worse than underprocessing. It is even worse in the middle section of her head. She her self is just realizing this is happening. I think that I will not be asking advice for her again because she does not really take it in consideration. She believes the stylist knows best. It just made me mad that the stylist would say that my reccomendations were the reason her hair was falling out.

You need to remind your friend that her hair was hitting the floor BEFORE she tried your recommendations and that it stopped upon doing so.

Let her live and learn. That's why I don't even go to a salon except for a touch-up. Most stylists have no clue as to how to care for our hair. All they know how to do is COLLECT! :mad:

We know more than they do! :p

lnhair said:
She did not really take it to heart...... I think that I will not be asking advice for her again because she does not really take it in consideration. She believes the stylist knows best. It just made me mad that the stylist would say that my reccomendations were the reason her hair was falling out.

In due time she will get tired of wasting her $$... AND losing her hair. When you started the tread you said that she only $6 bucks... and the products that you recommended stopped the breakage. Imagine where she could could be right now if she took the money she is paying that busted a@@ stylist and invested it in REAL hair care... Not just cute for the day.... Sorry for the rant... But you know what they say... "A hard head makes for a bald friend..."

MommaMayhann said:
In due time she will get tired of wasting her $$... AND losing her hair. When you started the tread you said that she only $6 bucks... and the products that you recommended stopped the breakage. Imagine where she could could be right now if she took the money she is paying that busted a@@ stylist and invested it in REAL hair care... Not just cute for the day.... Sorry for the rant... But you know what they say... "A hard head makes for a bald friend..."

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: at the last sentence!!

Maybe it wasn't the products her stylist told her to use, but the way her stylist applied and neutralized that last relaxer back in '06.

Blossssom said:
You need to remind your friend that her hair was hitting the floor BEFORE she tried your recommendations and that it stopped upon doing so.

Let her live and learn. That's why I don't even go to a salon except for a touch-up. Most stylists have no clue as to how to care for our hair. All they know how to do is COLLECT! :mad:

We know more than they do! :p

I agree with this!
Also I remember when I researching relaxers on-line and I'm about 98% sure that a lot of them said not to put on damaged or dry and brittle hair. I think your friend should listen to you and not her stylist. Maybe you can show her some of the threads on salon horror stories. I don't go to stylists anymore either. I just decided to buy the MNT line and I did. I know I regret not listening to my friend with Pocahontas-hair [this was a few years back] when she tried to get me on her hair regimen (And she used mostly motions and MNT products herself so I could have afforded that!) but I just didn't believe that it would work. My hair could have probably been mid-back by now or longer. Your friend probably should have stuck to what she was doing at first: applying moisture on regular/daily basis and doing weekly protein treatments. Her best bet to save her hair is to do it herself and to use you as her supporter/advisor during the process. I've seen some ladies with some beautiful heads of hair using Mane 'n tail. But there's nothing wrong with Paul Mitchell --YOU can give her a regimen and teach her how to use the PM products and in what order for her best results.:)

Blackoutzangel05 said:
Hmmm her hair was not falling out as bad when you aided her...seems to me that is what she needs to stick with. I wouldn't listen to the hair dresser if her hair was falling out in clumps prior to, but sometimes you have to let people learn. You aided her as best you could, now she can either take your advice, which helped her hair, or the advice of her stylist that had her hair falling out.

Sorry don't mean to be rude but I agree with this post and to add, she knew what you were saying to be true, she had been going to the salon all along and she had breakage and you her friend helped her and it worked and she decided to go the other way "AGAIN" hmm. Well people live and learn exactly right.

BeautifulWideEyes said:
Maybe it wasn't the products her stylist told her to use, but the way her stylist applied and neutralized that last relaxer back in '06.

And this is what I was sayin'... something went horribly wrong with the relaxer of '06! *Wow, I made that sound like an 8.2 earthquake* :lol:

But, seriously, this doesn't make any sense... but the sabotage does... I hope that is untrue.

whatever stopped the breakage she should stick to it. we all know hairstylists lie and don't know jack when it comes to black hair growth and care in general.

caribeandiva said:
whatever stopped the breakage she should stick to it. we all know hairstylists lie and don't know jack when it comes to black hair growth and care in general.

Ya think? THANK YOU!

The majority of them care about one thing: $$$$$

Back