Texturizing!...I need sum help!

Zakina

Hey everyone! I'm new and happy to finally be able to post:yay:.

Ok..so I've been contemplating on whether or not I should get a texturizer and right now I definately want to get one :).

I have natural 3b/c hair (wavy,curly) and this picture of Kelis hair looks quite like mine although I have somewhat looser curls. (Unfortunately I can't upload picures so I can't show you my hair :( )

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/699677.jpg?x=x&dasite=GettyImages&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=AB27D050201094216B41B0EE947D0A5D10BC6658DF0D01DD

And this is what it'm going for..wavy 2c/3a hair (I guess that's what Shakiras hair is on this pic...isn't it? )

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/56071566.jpg?x=x&dasite=GettyImages&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=86968C50E256E3C6552B6CEBFDF45224781CF461BB6606AD

1) Is this result possible to get with a texturizer? My hair is kind of wavy..

I have never texturized before. But I relaxed my hair for the first and last time 6 yrs ago. My hair had some serious breakage for a while due to it:perplexed , but now it's still breaking but less. I haven't cut off all my relaxed hair but i guess most of it's gone since I have experianced much breakage over the years and my hair was mid-back(when relaxed) then and it still is now(when pressed), and if it's not all gone then it has certainly reverted.

2) My hair is pretty long. Will a texturizer work good on long hair?

3) I wont go to a salon cus there aren't any good in my area but I will go to a woman that is known to be good at relaxing hair. What texturizer should I buy? (I have only seen s-curl,motions,tcb and wave nouveau in my local store are they any good?)

4) What is the difference between a "curl perm" like Wave Nouveau and texturizers (S-curl, Motions etc)?

5) Is there anything I should be thinking about before getting a texturizer/curl perm?

Thanx :D

wave nouveau is not a texturizer. It is like a dry jheri curl. I've used S-Curl in the past. I think I left it on too long because it made my hair wavy instead of curly. When I started to use Mtg, my hair started to curl back up on its own. I wish I could've been more help to you. :) Check out Model Chicks album. She texturizes. You can use the board's search function and type in texturizer. It will bring up many different questions the site has answered.

Thanx for replying Natrlchallenge :D

Well I have searched for threads on texturizing and have read almost all of them. I wanted to post a new thread cus I was wondering if texturizing could get me my desired results.
What S-curl did you use? The one for short hair? The one for men?
I would luv sum waves :D

Well if I had kelis curls already I'd be pretty happy. I think you should definately do a strand test to see if your hair can handle especially since you mention that you had damage with your relaxer. It could would out but there are no guarantees that it'll look the way you want. I tried to texturize twice and I ended up going back to natural I'm a little bias against it. But some people have had it turn out looking nice.

Safina87 said:
Thanx for replying Natrlchallenge :D

Well I have searched for threads on texturizing and have read almost all of them. I wanted to post a new thread cus I was wondering if texturizing could get me my desired results.
What S-curl did you use? The one for short hair? The one for men?
I would luv sum waves :D

yep, I used the one with the man on the cover. It would've worked better if i didn't comb it in- IMO.... Anyway, with my use of mtg, I had to stop texturizing because my hair grew so fast, I had to get frenquent touch ups. I overprocessed, but then noticed and started to love the beauty of my natural texture. I BCD and did the natural thing. I hope u have success w/ whatever you do.

Thanx girls :).
I will definately do a strand test.
I think I'm going to go with the S-curl texturizer....but I have long hair so I probably should be using two boxes right? or does it just not work on long hair? Should I go with the one with the man on the box?
I've seen a S-curl texturizer in a blue jar, one regular strenght and one strong (or something like that) are these diffrent from the ones in the boxes?

Am I getting this right? : The S-curl will loosen my curls and get rid of frizz right? it will not change my hair pattern just loosen the curls/waves. The Wave Nouveau will not loosen my curls just define them :confused:

sorry for asking so many questions :look: ..but this is the first time ever texturizing and all I know I have learnt from this forum
:D

I don't use any of the texturizer kits. I use Mild relaxer - Hawaiian Silky. It's basically the same thing. I put it on and let it sit without smoothing until my hair loosens to the curl I want.

ok locafreeme :). I'm just wondering does texturizing also mean that you no longer have to define your curls using products? I'd like my hair to be pretty as it is when it's wet but just a bit looser.

A texturizer is simply a relaxer that is left on for a shorter period of time. You can use lye or no-lye relaxer to do a texturizer. A wave noveox (sp) uses thioglocolate which is the same chemical used in Jherri curls and anti curls and is VERY drying. A texturizer can be done on short or long hair and depending on your texture it elongates your curls and cut the frizz. But before you get a chemical I suggest you check out these sites that show you how to handle your curly mane:

www.curve-salon.com--check out the shingling section
www.kinkycurly.com-- this product gets lots of raves

I've looked through those websites..thanx alli77.
I've pretty much decided to go ahead with the texturizing but I'll make sure to do strand tests first. :). I'm leaning towards getting the S-curl in the blue jar (regular strenght). But I'm still open for suggestions/advice etc :)

Safina87 said:
I've looked through those websites..thanx alli77.
I've pretty much decided to go ahead with the texturizing but I'll make sure to do strand tests first. :). I'm leaning towards getting the S-curl in the blue jar (regular strenght). But I'm still open for suggestions/advice etc :)

Good luck! And please let us know the results (Pics). Here is another tip, you can add 1 tblsp of of olive oil and 1 tblsp of a moisturizing conditioner to the relaxer to make it very moisturizing.

Thanx Alli77, I'll keep you updated :). I probably wont be able to do it before this Saturday and I hope it turns out great. I'm a bit nervous:perplexed . I may try that olive oil and conditioner thing.
Need all the advice I can get.:)

Safina87 said:
Thanx Alli77, I'll keep you updated :). I probably wont be able to do it before this Saturday and I hope it turns out great. I'm a bit nervous:perplexed . I may try that olive oil and conditioner thing.
Need all the advice I can get.:)

You should check out London Diva's album she gives great tips!

good luck on your texturizer..... I'm texturized myself and I'm still learning about the whole thing....I texturized in june of this year using s/b botanicals..since than I've done 2 corrective relaxer's still using s/b botanicals mixed with conditioner and olive oil, trying to loosen up my curls and my curls are still tight even after 3 texturizers but my hair looks much more healthy..I miss my relaxed hair deeply but my texturized hair is growing on me everyday and I'm liking it more....ONE thing that helps a texturized head is S-CURL no drip moisterizer.... does wonders for me anyway...good luck and timing is everything.....

thanx Islandclo :).
I realize now that timing is everything but even more so if you're using a relaxer like you are (botanics relaxer right?). But I've heard that timing isn't as essential when using a texturizing kit like s-curl because it won't ever make your hair go straight, or is this not correct? . I intend to go for a wavy 2c look and therefore I want to keep it on longer than what the box tells me. Or wouldn't that be wise?

Two times since june? On the S-curl jar (regular strenght that I will purchase it says that I have to apply every 3 weeks...that's just too much it seems.
Do you apply it yourself?

I'm using the texturizer kit from s/b botanicals, and that is a bit true you dont have to worry to much about timing when using a texturizer kit, and yes I apply it myself I smooth is through ,every 3 weeks is toooo soon to be applying a texturizer I never heard of that... that sounds to damaging dont do that....

Safina87 said:
Will do Alli77 :).
Just a quick q ...how often did you or anyone else texturized re-texturize?

When I first started texturizing I would go every 3 1/2 months, but since I've been here and understanding how to deal with dual textures I would say I get touch-ups every 6-8 months depending on my mood and most importantly my budget. I do not do my own chemical services because I have a LOT of hair!

Okay I see.

I just purchased two jars of the S-curl texturizer (since I have a whole lot of hair) and I read the back and I realized that I had misunderstood the 3weeks thing. :look:
Anywhoo. It states on the jar that you should only re-touch the new growth. Is that what you guys do? retouch new growth only? Is there any danger in me, despite what it says on the jar, retouch my entire head if needed?

Safina, like a relaxer touch up, you should only touch up your NG (new growth). R U touching up your whole head because you are underprocessed in some parts? This would be the only reason why you should do your whole head. It's a tricky process and unfortunately I don't think I can help you on that one. R U texturizing completely virgin hair? If so then it's okay to do your entire head from root to tip.

Okay I get it, thanx Alli. I must have misunderstood a previous thread on texturizers. But what if ,a while after the first application, your hair has somewhat reverted and looks frizzy would I be able to texturize my entire head? or must I chop it all off:ohwell: ?

Safina87 said:
Okay I get it, thanx Alli. I must have misunderstood a previous thread on texturizers. But what if ,a while after the first application, your hair has somewhat reverted and looks frizzy would I be able to texturize my entire head? or must I chop it all off:ohwell: ?

You'd be able to touch-up your entire head, it's tricky but can be done.

Back