Text Relationship

Enyo

Meeting someone on a dating site and texting them for almost a year without meeting up. No more deets. Opinions?

If that is what a person does to fill their time, whatever is whatever. It is strange though and seems like a waste of time.

Sounds like a potential Catfish.

I see it as kinda a modern day and age pen pal situation. Usually people who may be lonely may do this. It's just hi and bye and updates on your life but after a while, a person could come to anticipate the exchanges. It's a time filler, not necessarily a time waster. Not everyone has a busy life.

It depends on what you want out of the "relationship." I dont see anything wrong with having a text buddy, but certainly wouldn't think of this person as a potential mate.

People really do the craziest things. I read an account about a woman who flew to the Midwest from AUSTRALIA for someone she met on CHATROULETTE of all places. And she only googled his full name after she got here and was surprised to see that he was a convicted felon for armed robbery. Apparently he robbed places to pay for his drug addiction. And she was sad, because he dumped her. I wanna laugh, but its so sad, you know?

Nothing surprises me anymore.

I have one with a guy and it's something I do when I'm bored.
If I am not in the mood or busy, he get's no text.

Back when I was on OKC, this one dude from another island asked me if I wanted to basically be a chat buddy. I told him it was a waste of time and to hit me up if he ever came to Oahu. I thought it was the weirdest thing. Isn't the whole point of a dating/social site to fill your social and romantic circles? Like, who wants to waste time chatting with a stranger like it's 1994? :ohwell:

And, no, this isn't what my original post was based on.

I had one dude from the OkC who is currently in Dubai. He was from Chicago and just wanted someone to talk to from home (the states). He was investing several more years over there. Skype a couple of times, but mostly text. When I closed all my accounts and changed numbers, I lost touch. We did it for about three months.

I even asked him why go on a dating site if you cannot date, troll lol

But I start with some platonic scale with everyone I date, but the distance was too far to consider anything romantic. Still was a cool, cute dude though.

Last edited:
Enyo

Catfish - Widowed Mom sends "lover" $191,950.48

I caught a few minutes of this Dr. Phil episode today and went online to see the ending. A widow sent her life savings to this stranger and even sold her house to keep sending him cash. She NEVER met this guy, not once. She NEVER even spoke to him on the phone, not once.

Her kids brought her on the show. They found the real person who was in the photos, an attorney in the US, using a private investigator.

$191,950.48 was sent to this random dude that she met online.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV0UgNF2lZo

Okay, so here's the full scenario. I was on campus and overheard two undergrad girls talking, and one of them said that she met a guy on the Tinder app last summer. She talked a little bit about their conversations. Then, and I don't know what exactly triggered it, but her friend asked a question to which the answer was "I don't know! We haven't met yet!".

The friend was shocked because the guy goes to our school. Then the texting girl admitted that she saw him once on campus, but was scared to say anything because she was dressed like a bum. And, I'm making a huge assumption here, but I'm pretty sure most of the pictures he's seen are of her looking her absolute best shot at perfect angle. And, once again I'm making a huge assumption, the texting girls said the guy was really hot. Part of me thinks that she was also a little worried that he wouldn't like her in person.

The girls were in front of me and mine to get some udon, so they paid for their food and left so I was not able to hear the rest of the conversation. But, I thought it was so crazy and I wanted to see what you guys thought without too many details.

Back