Texlaxing for the First Time: Check Out My Plan!

Sunshine0801

So this is the week that I will be texlaxing my hair. I've read and viewed every self-relax/texlax thread, fotki, youtube video that I could find and I feel ready and excited. I thought I would post what I plan to do to make sure I'm not forgetting some crucial step.

- Last week I did a hardcore protein treatment with Aphogee. I detangled my hair as thoroughly as I could with a wide-tooth comb and my denman, and DC-ed overnight. I braided my hair and will not remove them until the day I texlax my hair.

On the day that I texlax, here is what I will do:

Before I do anything, I will test a small section of hair behind my ear. I'll base my scalp around that area with Mizani BB's Butter Base, and leave the relaxer on for 7 minutes (the time I plan to texlax).

After that, I will prep:

1. Remove the braids and base my scalp Mizani Butter Base. I was careful to braid my hair according to the way I plan to texlax (in 4 sections). I will keep those sections sectioned off as I base my scalp and hairline.

2. After basing, I will part my hair in 1/4 inch sections and clip the bottom of each section. This is so that I don't have to worry about parting and tangles as I texlax (I got the idea from a youtube video). Then I will separate them into four big sections again with an ouchless band.

3. I will put a showercap on the sections of hair that I don't plan to texlax (top 3 sections) and clip the showercap down with plastic hair clips.

4. Starting in the back section, I will remove the clip from each 1/4 inch section of hair and apply the Mizani BB Relaxer (fine hair formula) relaxer down the hair shaft and the underside, avoiding the hair nearest the scalp and the ends. I will do this for each clipped section in the back. Then I will go back and apply the relaxer to the roots and ends. When I'm done, I will grab my hair with one hand and slowly run it down the entire section. This is all the "smoothing" I will do. I'll leave the relaxer on for 7 minutes.

5. After 7 minutes, I'll hop into the shower and rinse just that back section until all of the relaxer is gone.

6. I will use Mizani's PerpHecting Creme for 2 minutes MAX. They recommend you use it for 10 minutes, but I am not taking any chances with overprocessing my hair. Two minutes max for me.

7. Then I will use the Mizani Balance Hair Bath to neutralize and will neutralize, neutralize, and neutralize some more.

8. After that, I will gently towel dry that section, hop out of the shower, and start on the next section.

I know that some of the relaxer will run off on previous relaxed sections, but I don't think there's any way to avoid that. I also thought about doing a mild protein treatment in between the rinse and neutralizing process, but decided that might be a bit much since I did an aphogee treatment last week.

I purchased some Silk Amino Acid because I thought I would need it to tone down the relaxer. However, it seems like a lot of ladies find Mizani BB's fine formula to be really, really mild, and I'm not going for the type of texlaxed hair where my hair practically looks the same, but is just easier to comb. Therefore, I don't want to reduce its strength too much, and I'm already leaving it on for only 7 minutes instead of the recommended 10-15, so I think I should be fine...

So what do you think? Am I missing anything? This is my first time self-relaxing ever, and I am doing it on virgin hair (I've been natural over 5 years). My fiance will be helping me with the back section so that I don't miss anything, and maybe the back crown area too.

So self-relax/texlax guru's, help a sista out! What do you think? :)

It sounds fine to me. :yep:

The only thing that I'd change is to use a lye relaxer, but that's just my personal preference.

Also the time is going to go really fast, so I don't know if you'll have to time to go back and do the roots and ends, but maybe with your fiance helping you can get it done.

Good luck! I hope it turns out great.

It sounds fine to me. :yep:

The only thing that I'd change is to use a lye relaxer, but that's just my personal preference.

Also the time is going to go really fast, so I don't know if you'll have to time to go back and do the roots and ends, but maybe with your fiance helping you can get it done.

Good luck! I hope it turns out great.

Thanks! The relaxer I'm using is lye, which I wanted since the last thing I need to battle is extra dryness (my hair is 4 a/b and gets dry easily if I don't stay on top of it).

Oh good! I thought that the fine hair formula was no-lye but I guess not. Yeah no-lye is definitely a no no for me too.

Back