Texlaxers Support Thread

Hi Ladies! Sorry if I'm asking a questions(s) already asked, I've been browsing a number of different threads tonight - but...

1) are you all doing your texlaxes / texturizers at a salon or yourself and

I do my own texlax at home. I have been doing my own chemicals since I started using them!

2) are you / can you add oils to your product? I know adding oils slows down the process and I am considering texturizering my natural hair and adding oil to it just to slow it down/ have a stylist slow down the process.

I prefer to add conditioner to my relaxer. Sometimes I add oil. The point is to slow down the relaxer and make it gentler on the hair but I find oil slows it down too much.

3) what is / are some of the best lines to texlax/ texturizer our hair with? Alter Ego Linange / Affirm / Mizani / ORS/ S-Curl.....?

I think people should use whatever chemical they are used to using in their hair and they know works for them. But I don't think it is a good idea to use texturizers or no lye relaxers. I have used Motions Herbal and ORS Lye with good results.

I'm all natural 4a/b and do not what fully straight hair on a daily basis but do want to be able to blow out my hair straight from time to time / have someone else blow it out and/ have it roller-set and blown out. From reading the posts, I am thinking that a texturizer may be good for me vs. a mild relaxer with oil or a texlax (relaxer with oil...right?)

Texlaxing is texturizing your hair using a relaxer and I advise this over using texturizers which are usually as strong or stronger than relaxers, there is not as many types to select from so you are limited, and many are no-lye and can cause mineral build up and/or dryness. I think that the vast majority use relaxers for texturizing over here.

Thank You

My answers are above.

1) are you all doing your texlaxes / texturizers at a salon or yourself and
I texlax at home.

2) are you / can you add oils to your product? I know adding oils slows down the process and I am considering texturizering my natural hair and adding oil to it just to slow it down/ have a stylist slow down the process.
I don't add oil...I simply decrease (by half) the amount of time the product is on my hair.

3) what is / are some of the best lines to texlax/ texturizer our hair with? Alter Ego Linange / Affirm / Mizani / ORS/ S-Curl.....?
I use Revlon Realistic Lye in Regular strength.

I'm all natural 4a/b and do not what fully straight hair on a daily basis but do want to be able to blow out my hair straight from time to time / have someone else blow it out and/ have it roller-set and blown out. From reading the posts, I am thinking that a texturizer may be good for me vs. a mild relaxer with oil or a texlax (relaxer with oil...right?)
Texturizer or relaxer....since you are also considering adding oil to the relaxer, I really don't think it makes much difference. I definately recommend doing a strand test so that you can determine what product/technique gives your desired results.

I did the 2 min Aphogee protein before neutralizing. Is that what you're talking about?

Yep. When I started doing that step my curls would bounce back right away. If it didn't work like that for you than you might want to try doing protein treatments until you get your curls back.

Ladies, thank you all for answering my questions!!

So..to make sure I got it: If I texturize = then just cut my time down by half.
Can you base before you texturize? Or add oil/conditioner...or no, dont do that?

If I texlax - then buy a relaxer product and add oil and/or conditioner to it to slow down the process.

Also, basing the hair--is that recommended with using a relaxer too, though I would still be using additional products to slow processing time.....or is doing both not needed?

Also, I keep reading to apply product to new growth only..(though I will probably go to a salon for my first foray into chemicals after 4yrs)...that said though, since I have fully natural hair, I would be applying product to all of my hair and just the NG last once I/If I start doing my hair myself, correct?

Lastly, for some reason I am "stuck" or have Linange Relaxer or Texturizer in my head to use. I have searched this site and others and don't believe I have come across a negative or bad review on this line. Amazon, here, they are all pretty positive.

~iwantthathairtoo~

I use vaseline to base around the front of my forehead, edges, ears and back of my neck at the nape, not the hair, just my skin. Some base the scalp as well depending on the sensitivity you have with the relaxer you use.

I am texlaxing today after 25 weeks! Whew!

I am using Honey Bee's method with the sprokets. I based my scalp with Proclaim Coconut Oil Hair and Scalp Conditioner (Ingredients are: Petrolatum, Coconut Oil, Fragrance) and applied Porosity Control to the pre-texlaxed portion. I mixed EVOO into my Silk Elements Mild Relaxer.

I'm getting ready to get started now. After I rinse out the relaxer, I will do a protein treatment with a mixture of LeKair Cholesterol Plus, AO GPB and MT, neutralize with Silk Elements Neutralizing shampoo, then DC with Silk Elements Cholesterol and Aussie 3 minute. Here I go!

Last edited:
My hair is now airdrying in a rollerset. This is my second texlaxing session. My first was in September of last year and it was really a texlax by accident because the relaxer I used wasn't as strong as usual and my hair ended up being underprocessed, and only straightened a little bit. This time my texlax was on purpose and the results were SO MUCH BETTER! I am loving the texture right now!

Since I was already using SE Mild relaxer and mixed EVOO into it, applied Porosity Control to my hair (I added a little to the new growth as well), neutralizer on the ends, and based my whole scalp, I knew it would be ok if I went over my intended time of 10-15 minutes. I applied the relaxer with my gloved fingers in the crown area first and worked my way outward from there. I smoothed a little bit, maybe 2 minutes or so. The whole process took about 20 minutes.

I rinsed out and saw that my hair had a wavy texture to it. After the protein treatment, neutralizing, DC, rollerset, and now being 80% dry, the wavy pattern is still there. I'm going to sleep in my rollerset and see how things turn out in the morning.

I am texlaxing today after 25 weeks! Whew!

I am using Honey Bee's method with the sprokets. I based my scalp with Proclaim Coconut Oil Hair and Scalp Conditioner (Ingredients are: Petrolatum, Coconut Oil, Fragrance) and applied Porosity Control to the pre-texlaxed portion. I mixed EVOO into my Silk Elements Mild Relaxer.

I'm getting ready to get started now. After I rinse out the relaxer, I will do a protein treatment with a mixture of LeKair Cholesterol Plus, AO GPB and MT, neutralize with Silk Elements Neutralizing shampoo, then DC with Silk Elements Cholesterol and Aussie 3 minute. Here I go!

My hair is now airdrying in a rollerset. This is my second texlaxing session. My first was in September of last year and it was really a texlax by accident because the relaxer I used wasn't as strong as usual and my hair ended up being underprocessed, and only straightened a little bit. This time my texlax was on purpose and the results were SO MUCH BETTER! I am loving the texture right now!

Since I was already using SE Mild relaxer and mixed EVOO into it, applied Porosity Control to my hair (I added a little to the new growth as well), neutralizer on the ends, and based my whole scalp, I knew it would be ok if I went over my intended time of 10-15 minutes. I applied the relaxer with my gloved fingers in the crown area first and worked my way outward from there. I smoothed a little bit, maybe 2 minutes or so. The whole process took about 20 minutes.

I rinsed out and saw that my hair had a wavy texture to it. After the protein treatment, neutralizing, DC, rollerset, and now being 80% dry, the wavy pattern is still there. I'm going to sleep in my rollerset and see how things turn out in the morning.

Congrats Jade Feria. It seems like you found your texlax routine and I trust it turns out well tomorrow when you undo your rollerset too. Keep us updated.

Bumping.

Jade, how did your rollerset come out? I just did a texlax t/u last night and I'll be rollersetting this weekend.

I just texlaxed a week ago with the New Options Alkaline Mineral Softener. Well it's not a traditional relaxer but it gives texlax results. http://www.crockettcompany.com/faq.html

I REALLY like it so far. My hair feels thicker and stronger. I was relaxed bone straight for years then I came to the boards and transitioned to natural for about 1.5 years (I am 4b). Then I decided to BKT which was a big mistake because all of the heat involved. I suffered major breakage from that. I cannot handle the tangles, matting, and knots from my completely natural hair but going bone straight weakens my hair. I wanted to try texlaxing to get the manageable hair like I did from BKT but without the heat. Seeing 4b's like Prospurr4 and Happily Me inspired me to take the plunge and so far I am VERY happy that I did.

Sometimes I miss my texlax hair, it was growing so well, I thought about doing it again but only 2x's a year, but Idk, this hair thing use to be so easy!!

I just texlaxed a week ago with the New Options Alkaline Mineral Softener. Well it's not a traditional relaxer but it gives texlax results. http://www.crockettcompany.com/faq.html

I REALLY like it so far. My hair feels thicker and stronger. I was relaxed bone straight for years then I came to the boards and transitioned to natural for about 1.5 years (I am 4b). Then I decided to BKT which was a big mistake because all of the heat involved. I suffered major breakage from that. I cannot handle the tangles, matting, and knots from my completely natural hair but going bone straight weakens my hair. I wanted to try texlaxing to get the manageable hair like I did from BKT but without the heat. Seeing 4b's like Prospurr4 and Happily Me inspired me to take the plunge and so far I am VERY happy that I did.

Can you show us pics Muse? I am very curious about this product. The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that it's a no-lye relaxer and there was no option for lye. My hair does not like the no-lye relaxers at all:nono:.

Can you show us pics Muse? I am very curious about this product. The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that it's a no-lye relaxer and there was no option for lye. My hair does not like the no-lye relaxers at all:nono:.

Hi Aggie,

This softener is made with no hydroxide, it just uses the sodium to soften the bonds not break them. It doesn't have lye but it is not the traditional no lye that contains calcium hydroxide. The hair's integrity is suppose to be maintained from root to tip. The owner told me there is no line of demarcation. It's kinda in a class of its own.

I will throw some pics up that next time I do a touch up. I want to get some good comparison shots.

Hello ladies. Just thought I'd post some texture shots.

CIMG3056.jpg

CIMG3058.jpg

And here you can see my different textures. The top inch or so is really straight. Then the next 2 inches or so is less straight. Then below that, it gets straight again. I think that's why the front of my hair broke off. It broke off at the demarcation line.

CIMG3065.jpg

My hair is less straight in the area all around my head. The bottom part was done by a stylist. It was my first texlax after being natural. The frizzy part in the middle was done by me with SE Mild with oil added. And the most recent part was done by me with SE Regular with oil added.

Last edited:
Why did you stop if it was working for you?

Well, I was trying to stay completly natural, but being texlaxed was more easier for me, So I am thinking of going back, I used ORS No Lye, and was a stretcher, and my hair stayed moist and curly without having to use so much product, But I should have kept going since it was working for me. I would be shoulder length by now Lol!!

Hello ladies. Just thought I'd post some texture shots.

And here you can see my different textures. The top inch or so is really straight. Then the next 2 inches or so is less straight. Then below that, it gets straight again. I think that's why the front of my hair broke off. It broke off at the demarcation line.

I experienced the same problem except in my nape area. I'm also texlaxed, but my nape is the coarsest part on my head.

My nape area was nearly crumbling in my hands, I'm guessing due to the new growth area being extremely tough and the texlaxed area slightly looser.

Yesterday I decided to re-texlax only the nape area. I left it in a few min. longer and combed it a little:spank:. Today, it's not breaking when I touch or comb it.

Ms. Twana, your hair is beautiful. I'd like my hair to look like that in 2-3 years (I just started texlaxing in last fall). I'm going to look through your comments to see what your process is.

I've been trying to decide whether to texlax or do a corrective relax of the texlaxing I did for the first time in March. Since I've been SO used to bone straight, I regretted the texlax because if felt like I didn't perm right. Well, I've been dying for a touch up and the moment of truth came and went. I decided to texlax again and opt for healthier hair with a thicker look. It definitely looks underprocessed but, I suppose that's the point. lol. My ng doesn't feel as course so I'm gonna call this a success. I'm just glad to have the ng under control...for now. :grin:

Ms. Twana, your hair is beautiful. I'd like my hair to look like that in 2-3 years (I just started texlaxing in last fall). I'm going to look through your comments to see what your process is.

Thank you. Girl, it will. And don't pay too much attention to my process cuz most of the time I just wing it. :lol:

I've been trying to decide whether to texlax or do a corrective relax of the texlaxing I did for the first time in March. Since I've been SO used to bone straight, I regretted the texlax because if felt like I didn't perm right. Well, I've been dying for a touch up and the moment of truth came and went. I decided to texlax again and opt for healthier hair with a thicker look. It definitely looks underprocessed but, I suppose that's the point. lol. My ng doesn't feel as course so I'm gonna call this a success. I'm just glad to have the ng under control...for now. :grin:

Good for you.

i wanna texlax but im so scared someones gonna F it up and get it too straight! and im afraid im gonna miss my coileys :-( did any of you have this problem??

Ms Twana,

I LOVE your texture :love:

I am hoping that my hair looks just like that as I transition to texlaxed :yep:

i am texlaxed....so glad this thread exists. i never find any info for us texlaxers....

i needed this today.

Ms Twana,

I LOVE your texture :love:

I am hoping that my hair looks just like that as I transition to texlaxed :yep:

Ms Twana,

What relaxer do you use and how long do you leave it in? Do you add oils to your relaxer?

TIA

Thank you. I use Silk Elements and I add a capful of Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I started off using mild with oil added, and my hair wasn't getting straight enough. So now I use regular with oil added. I think I will still use mild though on my edges because my hair there is really fine, and it gets too straight with regular.

Back