Texlax hair, what is the benefit?

NYDee

I noticed a lot people here advocate texlax hair instead of a well relaxed hair. Why is that? Isn’t texlax more damaging since you have to rely on hot irons to straighten it and that’s direct heat? With a well relaxed hair you can use rollers and sometimes blow dry it. I never liked those hot irons they in some salons, I went to a salon last month and they didn’t have rollers anywhere, they also only had steam hair dryers and not the regular dryers. Even after a month and several washes my hair still smells like I ran through a burning building.

you can rollerset texlaxed hair. i used to quite often and they came out gorgeous.

direct heat only though... yes that's highly damaging. made that mistake too. but i wasn't texlaxing by choice, my hair was just always underprocessed.

i just like having some texture to my hair. you still get some control of "almost natural" hair. my hair isnt thinned out by the super str8 results of a relaxer. i still have fullness and body.
i guess it just boils down to one's own preference.:grin:

I do rollersets to get straight hair and I dont have to use direct heat. I to like have the option of having texture to my hair. Wash n Go is my favorite hair style.

ITA with the other posts. The versatility is a great perk. You can be straight w/some serious fullness one day, curly the next and like honeybadgirl said, it's like a controlled "natural". LOVE it! This time of year I especially love WnG's.

A HUGE benefit for me was a decrease in protein loss and bond breakage.
Bone straight hair = more protein bonds having to break down further .
Which in turn, further weakens the hair strands. As my hair grew, it would snap off easily, making it hard to get past shoulder length.

With more texture, strength, and protein bonds, my hair was able to reach APL.

I know what you mean by the involuntary texlax result. I have that problem a lot. I relax my own hair better than in the salons but sometimes when I have a lot of new growth I try to get a pro to do it but it ends up looking worse. I never seem to learn my lesson too. I always hope some highly recommend person will finally get it right but that hasn't happened yet.

you can rollerset texlaxed hair. i used to quite often and they came out gorgeous.

direct heat only though... yes that's highly damaging. made that mistake too. but i wasn't texlaxing by choice, my hair was just always underprocessed.

I know what you mean by the involuntary texlax result. I have that problem a lot. I relax my own hair better than in the salons but sometimes when I have a lot of new growth I try to get a pro to do it but it ends up looking worse. I never seem to learn my lesson too. I always hope some highly recommend person will finally get it right but that hasn't happened yet.

I'm starting to suspect I'm going through the unintentional texlax thing as well. I'm taking a break from my current stylist as she used a hand dryer to dry my hair and then flat ironed and curled with the irons u put in the little stove because she said my hair is too thick :ohwell:? I've noticed my hair is kind of 3 textures in some places...NG...Underprocessed... and super straight relaxed strands. My hair is pretty strong and I havent noticed much breakage but am worried that I will as I stretch longer. Am I right?

I noticed a lot people here advocate texlax hair instead of a well relaxed hair. Why is that? Isn’t texlax more damaging since you have to rely on hot irons to straighten it and that’s direct heat? With a well relaxed hair you can use rollers and sometimes blow dry it. I never liked those hot irons they in some salons, I went to a salon last month and they didn’t have rollers anywhere, they also only had steam hair dryers and not the regular dryers. Even after a month and several washes my hair still smells like I ran through a burning building.

assuming this is the primary reason one would texlax...

I texlax because I don't really care for my hair to be bone straight. I actually go months and months without straightening in general. I like my big fluffy hair. I don't know what to do with my hair when it's really straight honestly.

You run the chance of less damage via underprocessing versus relaxing bone straight. Also, you can rollerset texlaxed hair.

I texlax because I don't really care for my hair to be bone straight. I actually go months and months without straightening in general. I like my big fluffy hair. I don't know what to do with my hair when it's really straight honestly.
I know this is an old thread but the pic of your hair slightly resembles the texture of my texlaxed hair. What is your routine (if you are still texlaxed)?

Back