ShiShiPooPoo

For those of you who use this bar...

how long does it last?

do you get a good lather?

does your hair feel clean?

is there a residue left on the hair?

does it detangle?

are you left with a shine that lasts?

I tried Shikakai powder which was an utter disaster...wait disaster is not even the word. My hair was left a dry, tangled, matted mess. I would like to incorporate a natural shampoo that will have some benefit beyond clean hair. TIA.

The shikakai bar works well for me. It lathers well and gets my hair clean. I also make sure that it gets on my scalp. I try to let it just sit in my hair for at least a minute before rinsing. I do have to follow it up with my moisturizing yogurt concoction. The combination is very synergistic.

For those of you who use this bar...

how long does it last? I've had mine for about 2 months & I can still see the word, "Shikakai" on it. Being that you only have to wet it & get a little bit on your fingertips, you're not using that much. I only wash my scalp. Also, I take mine out of the shower after I use it & keep it dry so it isn't just wasting away b/c it's getting wet.

do you get a good lather? yes it's a good lather just like a normal bar of soap

does your hair feel clean? yes the hair feels really clean - almost squeaky clean

is there a residue left on the hair? it doesn't leave any residue on my hair

does it detangle? i wouldn't say that it is good for detangling but my hair is soft afterwards

are you left with a shine that lasts? i'm not sure if it's purpose is for shine - my hair does shine but i mainly attribute that to other things

I tried Shikakai powder which was an utter disaster...wait disaster is not even the word. My hair was left a dry, tangled, matted mess. I would like to incorporate a natural shampoo that will have some benefit beyond clean hair. TIA. i'm sorry that your experience w/shikakai was a disaster. from reading the advice that Candy_C has given others, i wonder if u used 2 much. also, did u condition afterwards? also, i don't use the shikakai in my rinse when i'm also washing w/the bar.

Very interesting I was going to try this. I am loving the oil right now and really don't want to change but I am eagered to try the other stuff as well. I am on break for the holidays from work. I might get the powder and stuff then and try it. I can't get it all down pack yet but I am working on it.

I have a bar and I got it from hairveda.net. It's really nice and easy to use. I prepooed with oil first. After using it on my scalp and letting the suds run down my shaft, my hair felt dry but that was fixed after the DC.

But it left some sort of coating on my hair so that I could run my fingers through my hair and even if I hit a tangle, the hair wouldn't "snap" but I could just work through it.

Thanks ADW. I'm in ATL too. Where did you get your bar?

I got it from Taj Mahal Imports Indian Grocery in that plaza that is next to the Target on North Druid Hills and Briarcliff. The bars were 99 cents, the Vatika, $3.99, the mustard oil, $1.99, the shikakai powder, $1.99 -- way cheaper than ordering online.

I got it from Taj Mahal Imports Indian Grocery in that plaza that is next to the Target on North Druid Hills and Briarcliff. The bars were 99 cents, the Vatika, $3.99, the mustard oil, $1.99, the shikakai powder, $1.99 -- way cheaper than ordering online.

I shop there, too. Their prices are definitely reasonable. I wanted some Brahmi & called - they're out. :perplexed

well my experience with it wasnt positive but i've gotten advice since then so i'm gonna try my luck one more time with it.

i used it 2 weeks ago. and yes it lathered, but my hair did feel dry afterwards. so i proceeded with my conditioner. after i rinse the conditioner out i detangled and :blush::blush::blush:a few medium size clumps of hair came out. i couldn't believe it. i haven't seen hair like that in my hand since before my hair journey. so i was really freakin' out.

but since then i got better advice so now i know to prepoo with oil first! then use the bar. then sit under the water for a good 5-10 mins. then proceed with a DC. i think this regimen is gonna be better for me.

but on a better note...it did make my hair stronger after all that.

I just used it like an hour ago and I'm HOOKED!! :yep: It lathered really well, like a regular body soap then as I rinsed...my hair felt different...like their was some type of "armor" or extra layer on my hair to make it stronger. I'm sooo serious! It's hard to explain, but whatever that was, I want that feeling on my hair forever! :lachen: My scalp and hair felt really clean, and it didnt feel stripped either. Afterwards I conditioned for like 5 mins in the shower (I DC for an hr, on dry hair, b4 i shower) and then detangled under the shower head. Frm research, it seems these products are great anyway, so I will def. keep using this soap forever! :drunk:

I just used it like an hour ago and I'm HOOKED!! :yep: It lathered really well, like a regular body soap then as I rinsed...my hair felt different...like their was some type of "armor" or extra layer on my hair to make it stronger. I'm sooo serious! It's hard to explain, but whatever that was, I want that feeling on my hair forever! :lachen: My scalp and hair felt really clean, and it didnt feel stripped either. Afterwards I conditioned for like 5 mins in the shower (I DC for an hr, on dry hair, b4 i shower) and then detangled under the shower head. Frm research, it seems these products are great anyway, so I will def. keep using this soap forever! :drunk:

Where did you get it from and what brand is it?

I'm in the LA area...I got it from an Indian Spice Store...I couldnt find it anywhere online, although some ladies on the board have said that they purchased online. The brand is "SWASTIK" SHIKAKAI BAR...the wrapper is orangey-peachy and it has a woman's pic on it.

I'm in the LA area...I got it from an Indian Spice Store...I couldnt find it anywhere online, although some ladies on the board have said that they purchased online. The brand is "SWASTIK" SHIKAKAI BAR...the wrapper is orangey-peachy and it has a woman's pic on it.

I started to order this last night then decided to wait...I'm off to order. Sooooo, did it give you any slip? Your hair didn't feel coated like when you use castille soap did it?

I started to order this last night then decided to wait...I'm off to order. Sooooo, did it give you any slip? Your hair didn't feel coated like when you use castille soap did it?

I wouldnt even say it gave me slip...but my hair felt STRONG...I mean...I'm honestly still shocked!! :yep: While I was rinsing, and even after I put on conditioner and was combing/rinsing, I still felt that my hair was A LOT STRONGER...I mean it was crazy! And it was a good coating....i cant describe anyway but to think of like a bullet-proof vest or some type of armor!! I know that sounds cheesy, but I am soooo serious! And it ddnt leave my hair greasy or "heavy" it was PERFECT. :spinning:

I wouldnt even say it gave me slip...but my hair felt STRONG...I mean...I'm honestly still shocked!! :yep: While I was rinsing, and even after I put on conditioner and was combing/rinsing, I still felt that my hair was A LOT STRONGER...I mean it was crazy! And it was a good coating....i cant describe anyway but to think of like a bullet-proof vest or some type of armor!! I know that sounds cheesy, but I am soooo serious! And it ddnt leave my hair greasy or "heavy" it was PERFECT. :spinning:

:lachen:I gotta get this asap!

I'm so excited. I'm visiting my parents in Atlanta over winter break and I have shopped at the store before...I bought the Shikakai powder...it worked really well for my hair and I posted a thread about it almost a year ago...but the OP is right it can create quite a bit of mess...about the same as henna. The idea of Shikakai without the mess is fabulous!

Whereabouts in LA did you get it? Do you recall the name of the store?

Whereabouts in LA did you get it? Do you recall the name of the store?

Yes...It's in Artesia...in "little india"...right off the 91 on Pioneer...u can pretty much get it at ANY store, but I got mine from "Curry" it's this spice store on 183rd and Pioneer.

Yes...It's in Artesia...in "little india"...right off the 91 on Pioneer...u can pretty much get it at ANY store, but I got mine from "Curry" it's this spice store on 183rd and Pioneer.
That is right in my neck of the woods :yep: I may have to go next week on my lunch break and check this place out. Thanks for your info!!

well my experience with it wasnt positive but i've gotten advice since then so i'm gonna try my luck one more time with it.

i used it 2 weeks ago. and yes it lathered, but my hair did feel dry afterwards. so i proceeded with my conditioner. after i rinse the conditioner out i detangled and :blush::blush::blush:a few medium size clumps of hair came out. i couldn't believe it. i haven't seen hair like that in my hand since before my hair journey. so i was really freakin' out.

but since then i got better advice so now i know to prepoo with oil first! then use the bar. then sit under the water for a good 5-10 mins. then proceed with a DC. i think this regimen is gonna be better for me.

but on a better note...it did make my hair stronger after all that.
Next time I'll try an Alma Oil or Olive Oil Pre-Poo

I have that one, they sell it for $1.39 at Cherians off Dekalb Industral ...

That is right in my neck of the woods :yep: I may have to go next week on my lunch break and check this place out. Thanks for your info!!
Oh Snap, I live in Atlanta, my family lives in Carson, so I know exactly where you guys are talking about in LA! LOL so I know where to get the hook up when I go home to Cali too... I gotta save this thead, hook my sister up when I go home!!

how long does it last? This bar will last me till the end of time

do you get a good lather? No the lather was rather poor in spite of soaking wet hair and pre-poo washed out

does your hair feel clean? No- My hair is dense- I think the only way it would have gotten on my scalp is to rub it directly on it

is there a residue left on the hair? Yes- It leaves a film

does it detangle? Not in a way that i like- I like a slippery feeling- but it did not tangle which was my biggest fear

are you left with a shine that lasts? I don't really see a shine:perplexed

Im going off to make my brew and scritch!!!!

You are too funny, but I agree. My hair feels great after using this. I deep conditioned after and my hair was right! :grin:

I felt that too! It's like your strands won't break or something. They feel really strong but still soft.

Omg this stuff is amazing. I wanted to see what you guys were making all this fuss over. On my trip to the indian grocery I picked up some bars. One was from Ayumix its has Neem and Amla. the other ones were Swatik. I took out my twists last night. I pre-poo with Vatika oil last night and I washed this morning with the Ayumix Shikakai soap bar. It cleaned my hair specially with weeks of gunk on it from y spray mn mix. I DCed with Capilo Avocado conditioner. I lost 6 hairs in the shower while detangling and mind you Im now 29 weeks post2.75 inches of NG. Im in shock. You ladies are right your hair feels strong. Afterwards I put on bit of coconut oil mixed with Kesavardhini oil (yes this is a really good Indian oil smells like cherries and ginger) on my ends and NG. I have so much slip. I put in in a ponytail to air dry. This is a keeper. Im in love.

Back