Tell me about GHD Flat irons

lesedi

All is well with me
As mentioned in another thread, I'm thinking of starting a blowdry and flatiron regimen when I move back to London. I used GHD's once when i was relaxed head and got the bomb-a$$ results:grin: My hair had swing and was silky straight in one pass:lick: But this was in my days of not giving a siht about my hair and how to protect it. I only realised lately that GHD's don't have temperature control.....which kinda bothers me to be honest:ohwell: But I find that with my hair type, the flat iron has to be up on MAX temperature in any case, otherwise you get this weird rural looking stiff press.

So has anyone had any bad experiences from using a GHD? Any heat damage?
How often do you use them? Do you use the GHD thermal protectant?
If you now use a different flat iron< please tell me which one ad why it works better for you:yep:

(I'm not spending £120 {$188} on a flat iron without doing my research:lachen::lachen:)

Thank you so much

I am fully natural and I just purchased the gold series GHD. This probably the best flat iron I have ever owned. I dont have to blow dry my hair before hand, all I have to do it detangle and stretch it a little and I still get stick straight in one pass.

I was concerned about it not having a temperature control also, so I wrote them to find out what the highest temperature it reaches and was told 350-370. She also told me that all ghd are equipped smart hair porosity technology, which detects your hair type and is able to fluctuate between the temperatures.

HTH

ETA: No heat damage, and that may be because I use a heat protectant (Nioxin thermal Bliss) and don't blowdry.

natural_one

what's your hair type?
I'm really intrigued that you could flat iron without blowdrying and still get swang-y results. That is well worth the money :)

I have the pink GHD and was also turned off by the lack of temp control. Thank you Natural_One for that piece of info. I barely use it these days on my HHJ as I am wigged up for work, but I'm transitioning and would like to use it in the future so this is a good piece of info.

When I was using it on my own, I did NOT notice heat damage even though I would blow dry AND flat iron when I would use it. I didn't do it on a weekly basis though.

just used my friends last night for my show. My hair was a little limp and weighed down...it's close to my wash time. But I used her GHD and I still had incredibly soft swangin' hair! I was literally flabbergasted. I mean my hair was laaaayed. On top of that the iron didn't feel hot to me at all. I know this doesn't answer your question about heat damage, but I just had to come in here and give my side. I'm saving and buying that thing immediately :lol:

GHD was the best flat iron for my transitioning hair until I found the Croc iron :). I never experienced heat damage from GHD and my hair was pretty moisturized after each use.

Good luck to you!

i just got a ghd last week and i love it. i have the classic. i used it on my natural fine hair and it got it striaght it one pass. then i used it on my mom who has very thick and kinky relaxed hair and it got it straight in one pass.
but our hair didnt smell burnt at all. my hair was nice and silky soft.
i am returning mine and then will repurchase on BF.
the ghd is better than my old CHI.

i just got a ghd last week and i love it. i have the classic. i used it on my natural fine hair and it got it striaght it one pass. then i used it on my mom who has very thick and kinky relaxed hair and it got it straight in one pass.
but our hair didnt smell burnt at all. my hair was nice and silky soft.
i am returning mine and then will repurchase on BF.
the ghd is better than my old CHI.

chebaby I'm confused..You like it but you are returning it? And what is BF?

I have the gold series GHD. I purchased them after a hair stylist did my hair with them. I love them and make the best hair bump and spiral curl.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I have the classic GHD and I have bought just about every flat iron you can think of (sedu, croc, solia, h2pro (fhi runway), fhi platform, hana elite, babyliss (the blue one that gets really hot)). Yes, I have an addiction for new flat irons...that I finally got over when I realized that I love my ghd's the most. The rest are sitting in a box and it is all I use. I love it and my hair always looks really nice with it, and I cosign what someone said above about not needing to blowdry before you use it. When I was natural it STILL got my hair looking great. You just have to be careful that you don't buy knock-offs. Your hair doesn't snag, you can curl with them...the lack of temperature control doesn't bother me. It seems the ones that do have temperature control, I have to turn them up too high to get similar results.

Here is a recent pic from last month of my hair after it was flat-ironed with my GHD:

hair_092011-vi.jpg

Last edited:
@akgirl
Sorry, i just love stalking fotkis:look:

Wow, your hair looks beautiful! what hair type are you? which hair protectant are you using?

Thanks :) My hair type is 4b. I have a light texturizer, Davine's that was done in the salon. Lately I love aphogee products, mostly the 2-minute one and the heat protectant is a combo. 1. Aphogee green tea and keratin spray (heat protectant) 2. mizani therasmooth serum (heat protectant) 3. Rusk smoother leave-in. I also LOVE wheat germ oil from melvita lately (after flat-ironing), it is heavy but makes your hair feel amazing and shine, makes an AWESOME overnight pre-poo oil. I heard people complaining about the smell, and I don't know why but the version I have doesn't smell bad at all. Melvita has awesome oils. Their hempseed oil is amazing too and your hair is blingy and stll has movement.

I also try to stretch my flat-ironing sessions, I make them last 2 weeks. The first week I wear my hair down and wrap it at night. The second week I sleep in the flexi-rods and put my hair in up-dos similar to the one in the pic all week. Then I can get away with moisturizing and sealing with the wheat-germ oil since it is up and out of my face. If I wear it down both weeks, I like john frieda's volumizing dry shampoo (in the blue spray can). It really does make your hair look almost freshly blowdried after using it and freshens/extends your look. I have also recently ditched blow-drying. I think that plus flat-ironing is too drying for my already naturally dry hair. So now I sit underneath my lclbeauty (salonsrus) hooded dryer with it wrapped with lottabody prior to flat-ironing...or airdrying works too suprisingly...I did that for the pic you saw.

Here are my pics from my GHD flatiron attempt.

This is how it looked after I airdried last night
resize_1.jpg

This is how it looked before I started flat ironing..I hate blowdrying, so I don't.
resize_2.jpg

This is the finished product from one pass..I used Apex pressing oil and Nioxin Thermal Bliss.
resize_3.jpg

Here are my pics from my GHD flatiron attempt.

This is how it looked after I airdried last night
resize_1.jpg

This is how it looked before I started flat ironing..I hate blowdrying, so I don't.
resize_2.jpg

This is the finished product from one pass..I used Apex pressing oil and Nioxin Thermal Bliss.
resize_3.jpg

WOW!!!

:drool::drool::drool:
Those are amazing results! Do you use the comb/chase method?
natural_one

Last edited:
Thanks for this thread. I am curious about GHD as well. I'm a 4b natural and I used to go to a salon that used FHI tools. But now that Ive relocated the new salon I am about to try uses GHD tools. I had a consultation w/the owner of the salon and she says they are a "low heat" salon and that they do not use FHI bc they are too hot (which I didn't understand bc the FHI products have temp control and u could turn down if u want). She said none of their irons go above 390.

I won't have any pics until mid November tho which is when I plan to have my first visit at the salon and have it flat ironed w/GHD tools.

lesedi Yes, I used the comb chase method. I have my hair in Bantu knots now, so I will come back and post a pic of my whole head.

The ghd is a great flatiron..really worth the investment.

lesedi and others

I saw the ghd irons on sale for abt $100 at Sephora last night. At least four of them. And a mini

ETA: oops. $200

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Hi,

I was tempted to buy myself a pair of the new hot pink and black ghd's a couple of weeks back. I've been reluctant to as ghd are yet to confirm what temperature their straighteners heat up to. I've read that that depending on the model the temperature can range from 180c/356f to 230c/446f which is too hot for my hair. I can achieve straight salon hair with 140c/ 284f.

They do have a useful feature, they turn off automatic if you haven't used them for 30 mins. I have this feature on my corioliss c2 flat iron and its a life saver. The amount of times i've gone to work thinking uh oh, i've still left my straighteners on; worrying that i'll come home to a burnt down house. lol!

Does everyone flat iron with completely clean, naked hair?

I think this where i have fugged up in the past. Should i wash, dc, spray with leave in, add my heat protectant ,leave to airdry then flat iron?
With no moisturizer , oil etc?

Back