Tattoos......yes or no?

foxxymami

1 Corinthians 6:19 19 Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?

This is something my mom used to say allllll the time while we were growing up and it stuck with me. I always wondered though, does this scripture apply to tattoos.....even ones that are of the cross or that are biblical and spiritual? I want one.

*Sorry if this has been posted; i forgot to do a search like i normally do.

Last edited:
1 Corinthians 6:19 19 Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?

This is something my mom used to say allllll the time while we were growing up and it stuck with me. I always wondered though, does this scripture apply to tattoos.....even ones that are of the cross or that are biblical and spiritual? I want one.

*Sorry if this has been posted; i forgot to do a search like i normally do.

No, the scripture doesn't have anything to do with tattoos. Take a look at the verses before and after it. Always look at the context(the pre and post text) in which a verse is given.

I don't think the verse you quoted applies to tattoos. But this one does:

Leviticus 19:28 :: King James Version (KJV)
Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

Note: I personally don't have any tattoos, but that's just my style. I personally have nothing against a cute butterfly or something:rolleyes:

I don't think the verse you quoted applies to tattoos. But this one does:

Leviticus 19:28 :: King James Version (KJV)
Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

Note: I personally don't have any tattoos, but that's just my style. I personally have nothing against a cute butterfly or something:rolleyes:

I wonder if those who use that verse to justify no tattoos(not saying that's you) also obey Lev 19:19 and 19:27:

'You are to keep My statutes. You shall not breed together two kinds of your cattle; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together.

'You shall not round off the side-growth of your heads nor harm the edges of your beard

I wonder if those who use that verse to justify no tattoos(not saying that's you) also obey Lev 19:19 and 19:27:

'You are to keep My statutes. You shall not breed together two kinds of your cattle; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together.

'You shall not round off the side-growth of your heads nor harm the edges of your beard

These are good points...

As for the tatoo, God knows the deepest motives of our hearts. I think people have to ask themselves "what is gained by wearing one?" Am I trying to bring attention to myself? (pride) Or is this truly a testimony of my faith? And if it's a testimony of my faith-- can I just show people faith through simple acts of kindness?

In other words, a Christian has to weigh in her heart and mind: Does a permanent mark on my body help or hinder the testimony of what God is doing in my life?

Last edited:
I wanted a tattoo at one time. My husband and I were supposed to get one for our anniversary. Since I started my walk with Christ I haven't felt the need to get one.

This post made me think about the following:

How does the choice/decision about tattoos connect with the other statutes? It is my understanding that many of these statutes were in place not (necessarily) because those forbidden things were wrong, but in order to SEPARATE the Jews from the foreigners that they were living amongst...in order to maintain the purity of the culture, if you will. So as the foreigners living amongst the Jews were doing their thing, it mattered to the Lord that the Jews NOT DO what everybody else did because they were set apart....

So as I bring that understanding to the present-day question about tattoos, and wearing mixed material and keeping sideburns, I suppose that my thoughts about it flow into what others have said here, which sounds like this scripture: "23All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not." (1 Corinthians 10:23;1 Corinthians 6:12)

At least for me, I desire deeper understanding concerning which parts of the "law" still carries over today? What practices would the Lord have us to carry over from the Old Testament? I guess that's the age-old question that results in having so many different religions today....

Personally I think tattoos are ok. Before I got my tattoo I thought to myself if Jesus himself was sittin in my living room when I get home from havin this done would I be ashamed to show it to him.

Here is a Picture of the one I chose to get:
275515655.jpg

My reasons are not from a 'Word' standpoint. I simply do not understand why a woman would want to ruin her beautiful skin? Men are different, but a woman...uh-uh... :nono:

My reasons are not from a 'Word' standpoint. I simply do not understand why a woman would want to ruin her beautiful skin? Men are different, but a woman...uh-uh... :nono:

I gotta a tattoo back when I was around 18 on my hip. After 2 babies, you can't even read it...it's all stretched marked up....:look:

This post made me think about the following:

How does the choice/decision about tattoos connect with the other statutes? It is my understanding that many of these statutes were in place not (necessarily) because those forbidden things were wrong, but in order to SEPARATE the Jews from the foreigners that they were living amongst...in order to maintain the purity of the culture, if you will. So as the foreigners living amongst the Jews were doing their thing, it mattered to the Lord that the Jews NOT DO what everybody else did because they were set apart....

So as I bring that understanding to the present-day question about tattoos, and wearing mixed material and keeping sideburns, I suppose that my thoughts about it flow into what others have said here, which sounds like this scripture: "23All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not." (1 Corinthians 10:23;1 Corinthians 6:12)

At least for me, I desire deeper understanding concerning which parts of the "law" still carries over today? What practices would the Lord have us to carry over from the Old Testament? I guess that's the age-old question that results in having so many different religions today....

Love it!:yep:

I personally don't like them for men or women but I don't think it's antiGod to have a tattoo.

I gotta a tattoo back when I was around 18 on my hip. After 2 babies, you can't even read it...it's all stretched marked up....:look:
You're still a cutie-pie KB...precious as a child of God can...:yep: :grouphug:

By now you should know that I'm obviously not like anybody, anywhere.... :lol: :rolleyes: :lol:

Personally I think tattoos are ok. Before I got my tattoo I thought to myself if Jesus himself was sittin in my living room when I get home from havin this done would I be ashamed to show it to him.

Here is a Picture of the one I chose to get:
275515655.jpg
You're still a precious cutie too, tffy... :yep: :grouphug:

BTW: I never read the entire thread. I just saw the opening post and then I replied. I don't want anyone to feel badly about what I shared.

You're still a precious cutie too, tffy... :yep: :grouphug:

BTW: I never read the entire thread. I just saw the opening post and then I replied. I don't want anyone to feel badly about what I shared.

Oh Shimmie you are such a sweetheart, I didn't in any way take offense or feel badly about your post, everyone had their own opinion and honestly do respect that. Personally I think that when done in good taste it adds to the beauty of the female body but thats just my opinion.

I love you Shimmie!!!
:bighug:

Oh Shimmie you are such a sweetheart, I didn't in any way take offense or feel badly about your post, everyone had their own opinion and honestly do respect that. Personally I think that when done in good taste it adds to the beauty of the female body but thats just my opinion.

I love you Shimmie!!!
:bighug:
I love you too, tffy :kiss: Give a big hug to your beautiful babies. A big hug to 'hubby' too. All of you are precious.

ETA: You and "KB120475" give tatoos beauty. :yep: For they rest upon the beauty of God's beloved daughters. Enjoy your tatoos.

:sekret: Ummmmm, can I tell you something...:sekret: Well, I've considered a 'belly ring' :yep: But I hear it hurts...so I opted out. :nono: But......so many of the belly rings are so pretty. :yep:

Well I have 4 tatoos and I have a belly ring. I didn't think much when I got them and didn't have a motive behind it. Well I used to have nices arms and back so that is where I have two of them. I got two of them to cover up scars. I guess the same questions could be asked about earings as well.

Back