Tangled hair after shampoo.. Why is that?

Msstarr718

So I just finished clarifying my hair with Kera Care's 1st Lather followed by the Hydrating Detangling shampoo and my hair is so tangled and im so scared that im gonna lose alot of hair trying to get the tangles out.. This is my second time washing my own hair and this is the second time this has happened. Am I doing something wrong? I only put the shampoo on my scalp then gently massaged and let the poo drip down my ends.. Im about to give up on washing my own hair because I cant afford to lose anymore hair..

Can someone please tell why this is happening. Right now I am sitting under my table top dryer for 30 minutes with the Kera Care Humecto conditioner and hopefully the tangles will work themselves out..

Suggestions please.. Anyone

So I just finished clarifying my hair with Kera Care's 1st Lather followed by the Hydrating Detangling shampoo and my hair is so tangled and im so scared that im gonna lose alot of hair trying to get the tangles out.. This is my second time washing my own hair and this is the second time this has happened. Am I doing something wrong? I only put the shampoo on my scalp then gently massaged and let the poo drip down my ends.. Im about to give up on washing my own hair because I cant afford to lose anymore hair..

Can someone please tell why this is happening. Right now I am sitting under my table top dryer for 30 minutes with the Kera Care Humecto conditioner and hopefully the tangles will work themselves out..

Those shampoos are raved about on this board, but I don't get it.

they are both Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate based. Thats the most powerful sulfate used in shampoos out there. I don't find either shampoo to be moisturizing at all. I would only use them for clarifying once and a while.

That's just my personal opinion. Many people seem to love these shampoos. The humecto is a good conditioner though. I think it will help :yep: Try adding a spoonful of oil to it and it'd be even better.

My advice is to not always use the first lather. Unless you use a lot of cones or mineral oil or petroleum, you don't really need to clarify every wash day.

Also, try out a more gentle shampoo. Harsh shampoos strip all the oils out of your hair and encourage tangling.

You can also try washing in sections.

For me it was b/c I didn't properly detangle. But it only happens after I took braids down. I have a ton of new growth and what I should've done was detangle in small sections before washing. I just slapped some CON on and DC'd and that's where it all went wrong.

I ended up cutting those knots out. Its under the bush so I'm not pressed about it, just have to start over again...

I used to have this problem when I shampooed. I learned that the tangles are the shed hair that knots up with your live hair. Now I comb out the shed hair before I shampoo. Also, I braid my hair in 4 pigtails and shampoo my hair that way, so that I don't get knots. HTHs.

How are you washing your hair? Are you 'swirling' it, or are you 'combing' it?

The shampoo might be too harsh for your hair, period - who normally washes it, and what kind of shampoo do they use?

Did you wash your hair in the shower? My hair is always a tangled mess when I wash it in a sink.

It would also tangle a lot when I used the wrong shampoos. I had to try a few shampoos over the years before I stumbled upon 2 or 3 that didn't tangle my hair.

My favorite shampoos are Paul Mitchell, ORS Uplifting shampoo and the Motions moisturizing shampoo. I love Keracare Humecto but I hate their shampoos (made my hair tangle).

Those shampoos are raved about on this board, but I don't get it.

they are both Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate based. Thats the most powerful sulfate used in shampoos out there. I don't find either shampoo to be moisturizing at all. I would only use them for clarifying once and a while.

That's just my personal opinion. Many people seem to love these shampoos. The humecto is a good conditioner though. I think it will help :yep: Try adding a spoonful of oil to it and it'd be even better.

My advice is to not always use the first lather. Unless you use a lot of cones or mineral oil or petroleum, you don't really need to clarify every wash day.

Also, try out a more gentle shampoo. Harsh shampoos strip all the oils out of your hair and encourage tangling.

You can also try washing in sections.

Thank for the advice.. And yes I did wash in sections and the detangling process was horrid. I think im gonna leave those shampoo's alone and find a new one:nono:
Or maybe I'll just use conditoner and no shampoo at all!!!!!:ohwell:

I used to have this problem when I shampooed. I learned that the tangles are the shed hair that knots up with your live hair. Now I comb out the shed hair before I shampoo. Also, I braid my hair in 4 pigtails and shampoo my hair that way, so that I don't get knots. HTHs.

Thanks Miami74 Im gonna try that next time

How are you washing your hair? Are you 'swirling' it, or are you 'combing' it?

The shampoo might be too harsh for your hair, period - who normally washes it, and what kind of shampoo do they use?

Yea im thinking its too harsh. My hair dressers normally washes my hair and she uses the same shampoo and she doesnt have this problem. And I massage the scalp I dont comb. Could you recommend a good shampoo thats not so harsh please...

Did you wash your hair in the shower? My hair is always a tangled mess when I wash it in a sink.

It would also tangle a lot when I used the wrong shampoos. I had to try a few shampoos over the years before I stumbled upon 2 or 3 that didn't tangle my hair.

My favorite shampoos are Paul Mitchell, ORS Uplifting shampoo and the Motions moisturizing shampoo. I love Keracare Humecto but I hate their shampoos (made my hair tangle).

Yea I used to like the Motions Lavish Shampoo maybe I should go back to that..:ohwell:

i too think your shampoo maybe to harsh. Find something more gentle. try CON= creme of nature or Herbal Essence Blue poo I can't remember the name but it's the moisturizing one.

So I just finished my rollerset and my hair is far from soft eventhough I used NTM Silk Touch Leave in and sealed with coconut oil.. I feel like crying:nono:. My hair is so hard and it broke off so much its unbelieveable.. I think im going to the beauty salon because I just cant get the hang of doing it yourself..:ohwell::nono::perplexed:nono:

Are you washing it in the sink or the shower? You should wash it in the shower.

Also, only scrub the roots. You shouldn't pile the hair on top of your head like in those stupid commercials. :nono: Let the water run down your hair in the shower, apply the product to the scalp and scrub the scalp with the shampoo and your fingertips. Again, you should not attempt to wash your hair like in the ocmmercials where they scrub all of the hair all over your head. That is a recipe for disaster. The shampoo suds will clean the rest of your hair while it's running down your strands.

Try Cream of Nature (original formula) Ultra-Moisturizing Shampoo. It always get my hair back to 'normal.'

Also, how many times do you lather with each shampoo? You should only be doing one or two lathers AT MOST (relaxer neutralizing is an exception though).

Finally, the shampoo just might not agree with your hair. Certain products do NOT agree with my hair. Tangling is usually an indicator.

You want to make sure you're using the proper technique AND the proper products.

HTH

Aww don't feel discouraged.

Here are some tips (you can try all or just a few)

- Pre-poo hair with conditioner or oil. The night before or day of.
- Always detangle hair before pooing to remove shed hair which can cause knotting.
- Do a few big twist and poo hair in sections.
- Try a non sls/als shampoo, they are much gentler on the hair.
- when you poo you hair COMB through with finger tips do not twirl or massage in circles because you will tangle the hair this way.
- Don't pile your hair on top of your head.
- Lather once unless you have product build up.
- don't poo the length of you hair, when you rinse the suds will take care of that.
- Wash hair using an applicator bottle. I also dilute my poo with some water in the bottle.

Don't fret you will get the hang of it.

HTH :)

some people wash their hair in braids... what works for me is shampooing my scalp while my hair is dry with an applicator bottle, then rinsing my hair in the shower.

- Always detangle hair before pooing to remove shed hair which can cause knotting.
- when you poo you hair COMB through with finger tips do not twirl or massage in circles because you will tangle the hair this way.
- don't poo the length of you hair, when you rinse the suds will take care of that.
- Wash hair using an applicator bottle. I also dilute my poo with some water in the bottle.

Thanks Noir for the words of encouragement.. I just hope I dont go bald trying to get the hang of it.:ohwell:

some people wash their hair in braids... what works for me is shampooing my scalp while my hair is dry with an applicator bottle, then rinsing my hair in the shower.

Thanks someone else said I should try that also.. I think I will try that next time.

Yea im thinking its too harsh. My hair dressers normally washes my hair and she uses the same shampoo and she doesnt have this problem. And I massage the scalp I dont comb. Could you recommend a good shampoo thats not so harsh please...

I don't use shampoo, because it made my hair hard and tangled. I switched to using conditioner to clean my hair, and once I realized it would keep my hair clean, I didn't even bother looking for a 'gentle' shampoo - I had a 'gentle' hair cleaner - and I really don't 'need' suds. :lol:

all this talk about shampoo... OP what conditioner did you use after you shampooed? hair can be a little tangly when you're using a shampoo, especially if it's got harsh detergents. first of all, are you applying the shampoo to your scalp only?

take a small amount, no larger than a quarter sized amount of shampoo, and apply it directly to your scalp. do this in sections all over your head. you shouldn't need more than about 5 or 6 quarter sized amounts of shampoo for your whole head. then as you wash it out, gently part your hair with your fingers. don't rub all your hair all over your head, like a stylist would, or like they do in the herbal essences commercials.

the key to reducing tangles while washing is to not tangle your hair up at all! let the water run down through your hair the whole time, rinse out the poo 100%, follow up with conditioner every time, and you should be fine.

all this talk about shampoo... OP what conditioner did you use after you shampooed? hair can be a little tangly when you're using a shampoo, especially if it's got harsh detergents. first of all, are you applying the shampoo to your scalp only?

take a small amount, no larger than a quarter sized amount of shampoo, and apply it directly to your scalp. do this in sections all over your head. you shouldn't need more than about 5 or 6 quarter sized amounts of shampoo for your whole head. then as you wash it out, gently part your hair with your fingers. don't rub all your hair all over your head, like a stylist would, or like they do in the herbal essences commercials.

the key to reducing tangles while washing is to not tangle your hair up at all! let the water run down through your hair the whole time, rinse out the poo 100%, follow up with conditioner every time, and you should be fine.
[ /quote]

co-signing completely :yep:

I do these exact same things. That applicator bottle has been the best discovery I've made. Seriously.
I also use an applicator bottle for my conditioners. I will squirt in a mixture of condish, oil, and water and this way I know the roots are being conditioned as well. :up:
I don't know what I'd do without that bottle, lol. Oh yeah it also works great for when you want to condition on dry hair :yep:

I have the same problem. I used to cut giant clumps of hair out all the time. Ugh! What helps me now is the following:

While in the shower --

- Apply conditioner to the ends of your hair. Leave this in.

- Put some shampoo in an empty bottle and fill with water. Shake up until it's full of suds. Pour this over your scalp. If you need to rub it in, only do so on the scalp. Rinse immediately. *** pH balanced Biotin shampoo has been working wonders for me. ***

- Apply conditioner (I'm currently using Long Term Relationship by Herbal Essences... only about 3 bucks... and Pantene Relaxed and Natural, which is also relatively inexpensive). Leave conditioner in for a few minutes.

- Rinse conditioner, while separating hair with your fingers (be gentle!)

- Reapply conditioner if necessary. Or, use a leave-in.

Hope this helps!

Just a suggestion...and I'm natural but I think it would work for both relaxed and naturals. If you're going to use shampoo...and take the suggestions already on the board for one that may be less harsh and more moisturizing, but why not go a step further and shampoo in plaits? You need to dilute the shampoo and just divide hair into four plaits or so. That way tangling will be very minimal. I do it all the time now that my hair is getting longer.

So I just finished my rollerset and my hair is far from soft eventhough I used NTM Silk Touch Leave in and sealed with coconut oil.. I feel like crying:nono:. My hair is so hard and it broke off so much its unbelieveable.. I think im going to the beauty salon because I just cant get the hang of doing it yourself..:ohwell::nono::perplexed:nono:

Don't give up. Here is the trick after you DC and rinse the DC out. Just let the water run thru the hair. Do not scrunch up your hair. In a downward motion apply a good conditioner with slip to your hair and let it stay in for a minute. Apply a lot ok. As the water is running and rinsing it out. Use a shower comb and detangle as the water is rinsing away the conditioner. I use Herbal Essense LTR or Giovanni 50:50 balancing conditioner or Aubrey Organic HSR. It will make detangling a breeze you can even use your cheapie conditioner like suave coconut to do this. Im almost 20 weeks post and this has saved my life. Im about to do that in 1/2 an hour Im currently DCing my hair as I type.

As the ladies suggest try CON green label.

I just noticed someone mentione braids earlier, reading through the thread. I do it all the time, which is probably why I have so little hair when I finish washing and detangling, on the floor, or in my comb. Also I forgot to add about hard water. If your water is hard, your hair will be too. I've found it doesn't matter what a miracle shampoo I have if I have lived in a hard water area. I bought a shower filter from home depot for $20 online and got it in less than a week. My hair has been so much softer and less every since (I've been using it since around mayish?). Just a couple suggestions.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...ilter&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
I got the sprite lime one but there's one by Ge that's around the same price too.

Back